Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users linux find and replace in multiple files Post 302555232 by pludi on Wednesday 14th of September 2011 07:55:46 AM
Old 09-14-2011
Just using wildcards in the command line works usually, but it breaks under any of these conditions:
  • If you want to apply more than 1 command
  • If the files where the command should be applied aren't all in the same directory
  • If there are too many files to fit on 1 command line
  • If you want to avoid "is a directory" error messages should a directory have a similar name as the files you want to modify

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace files in multiple folders

Hi there, I would like to write a script to automate the copy and renaming of files in multiple dir. I have a generic file named s253e.prb and would like to copy this to multiple dir and rename it. Example: Dir is AL-M1 and the prb file name is AL-M1.prb. I would like to be able to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodey
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in multiple files (Shell script)

hi guys, Suppose you have 100 files in a folder and you want to replace all occurances of a word say "ABCD" in those files with "DCBA", how would you do it ??? jatin (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatins_s
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and replace string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk find and replace in multiple files

Hi I use the following code to replace ‘.' with ‘N' in my files and keep both versions. awk '{ gsub(/\./,"N"); print }' file_0001.txt > path/to/new/dir/file_0001.txt I need help on how to apply the code to 100 files instead of doing them one file at a time. The files are labeled... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find and replace strings in multiple files

Hi All, Iam new to unix, I need to find string and replace it in the file name. Like text_123_0.txt,text_123_1.txt,text_123_2.txt. I need to search 123 and replace it with 234 . Is there any unix command to replace them in single command since i have 5 directories. So i need to go each and every... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldeveloper
0 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Find, replace, file path in multiple files for Solaris 10

Guys I have a big issue that I need to get fixed ASAP however I can not seem to find a way to do it. We started to use zones with Solaris 10 at work and we moved a zone from a SIT box to a DEV box. Problem is the software we have installed is looking at a /lcl/sit/apps/ path and it needs to look... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in multiple files

Hi, I have php files in main dir and sub dir's as well. I need to find "new mysqli('localhost', 'System', 'xxxxxx', 'System', '3306');" and replace as "new mysqli('localhost', 'unx_sys', 'yyyy', 'unx_sys', '3306');" I tried like: sed 's/new mysqli\(*\)\;$/new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and replace from multiple files

Hello everybody, I need your help. I have a php site that was expoited, the hacker has injected into many php files a phishing code that was discovered and removed in order to have again a clean code. Now we need to remove from many php files that malware. I need to create a script that find and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninocap
2 Replies
APPLY(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  APPLY(1)

NAME
apply -- apply a command to a set of arguments SYNOPSIS
apply [-a c] [-d] [-#] command argument ... DESCRIPTION
The apply utility runs the named command on each argument argument in turn. Character sequences of the form ``%d'' in command, where 'd' is a digit from 1 to 9, are replaced by the d'th following unused argument. In this case, the largest digit number of arguments are discarded for each execution of command. The options are as follows: -# Normally arguments are taken singly; the optional number -# specifies the number of arguments to be passed to command. If the number is zero, command is run, without arguments, once for each argument. If any sequences of ``%d'' occur in command, the -# option is ignored. -a c The use of the character '%' as a magic character may be changed with the -a option. -d Display the commands that would have been executed, but do not actually execute them. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable affects the execution of apply: SHELL Pathname of shell to use. If this variable is not defined, the Bourne shell is used. EXAMPLES
apply echo a* is similar to ls(1); apply -2 cmp a1 b1 a2 b2 a3 b3 compares the `a' files to the `b' files; apply -0 who 1 2 3 4 5 runs who(1) 5 times; and apply 'ln %1 /usr/joe' * links all files in the current directory to the directory /usr/joe. FILES
/bin/sh default shell AUTHORS
Rob Pike BUGS
Shell metacharacters in command may have bizarre effects; it is best to enclose complicated commands in single quotes (''). HISTORY
The apply command appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
April 4, 1994 BSD