Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Want to contribute to unix opensource projects. Post 302554686 by want2bcomecoder on Monday 12th of September 2011 04:32:06 PM
Old 09-12-2011
Java Want to contribute to unix opensource projects.

Hello ,
I am C++, Objective C , Qt ,developer on Mac OS X, iOS having around 4+ years of experience. I never got a chance to work on System Level programming. But I am very much interested in it.
I don't want to do UI programming any more but I am doing just because of my current job profile.
So, for learning system programming in unix , I started reading "Advanced programming in the unix environment " and also started playing with unix and its commands.
As I have mentioned I don't want to do UI programming anymore, so to grab opportunity from current employer or from new one , I have to have some good hands-on on system programming networking & multithreading in unix .
Please suggest me a way to learn programming in unix .According to me , If I start understanding and contributing in some good open source project, It will be beneficial for me but I don't have any idea since I am a newbie in unix development.
So please suggest me some open source projects or some other way to improve my competency in low level programming in unix.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix projects

I am currently studying to be a Unix programmer. I am at the very beginning stages taking an online course through guruischool. I know that this course will not be nearly enough for me to be a confident or competent unix programmer. However I was wondering what projects I can do at home that will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedder10
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

wanna contribute to gnu

I want to contribute to any project that currently going on in the gnu. What is the procedure. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogesh_powar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is uses of unix shell script in database projects

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Opensource licenses?

Someone was asking the below on our mailing list and i thought of sharing with you guys, what do you think? P.S: if this is the wrong forum i couldn't find something related to 'opensource' as main forum so i posted here, moderators feel free to move. Hello, I want to opensource something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bashar
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Unix opensource

hello Unix is open source..is it? What is open source? Can anyone explain shortly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csharpque
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open-source projects to learn concurrency-managed network programming in Unix?

Hi, I am a mid-career programmer with extensive experience in object-oriented design and development in C, C++, and C#. I've written a number of multi-threaded server applications and background services, although my grasp of networking protocols is a bit weak: my current job drifted away from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTaoOfPhil
2 Replies

7. Programming

How to contribute Linux in Development?

Hello, I am a Linux/Unix System Administrator as a profession from last 8 years and now want to jump into Linux programming to contribute something to this in which i spent these many years for its integration/Administration/Configuration/Servers Setups. Please let me know i can start working... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
5 Replies
MDNSD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  MDNSD(8)

NAME
mdnsd -- Multicast and Unicast DNS daemon SYNOPSIS
mdnsd DESCRIPTION
mdnsd (also known as mDNSResponder on some systems) is a daemon invoked at boot time to implement Multicast DNS and DNS Service Discovery. On Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), mdnsd is also the system-wide Unicast DNS Resolver. mdnsd listens on UDP port 5353 for Multicast DNS Query packets. When it receives a query for which it knows an answer, mdnsd issues the appropriate Multicast DNS Reply packet. mdnsd also performs Unicast and Multicast DNS Queries on behalf of client processes, and maintains a cache of the replies. mdnsd has no user-specifiable command-line argument, and users should not run mdnsd manually. LOGGING There are several methods with which to examine mdnsd's internal state for debugging and diagnostic purposes. The syslogd(8) logging levels map as follows: Error - Error messages Warning - Client-initiated operations Notice - Sleep proxy operations Info - Informational messages By default, only log level Error is logged. A SIGUSR1 signal toggles additional logging, with Warning and Notice enabled by default: # pkill -USR1 mdnsd A SIGUSR2 signal toggles packet logging: # pkill -USR2 mdnsd A SIGINFO signal will dump a snapshot summary of the internal state to /var/log/system.log: # pkill -INFO mdnsd FILES
/usr/sbin/mdnsd SEE ALSO
dns-sd(1), pkill(1), syslogd(8) For information on Multicast DNS, see http://www.multicastdns.org/ For information on DNS Service Discovery, see http://www.dns-sd.org/ For information on how to use the Multicast DNS and the DNS Service Discovery APIs on Mac OS X and other platforms, see http://developer.apple.com/bonjour/ For the source code to mdnsd, see http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/bonjour/ HISTORY
The mdnsd daemon first appeared in Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar). Also available from the Darwin open source repository (though not officially supported by Apple) are mdnsd daemons for other platforms, including Mac OS 9, Microsoft Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, and other POSIX systems. BUGS
mdnsd bugs are tracked in Apple Radar component "mDNSResponder". BSD
February 27, 2011 BSD