Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Appending lines from an existing list to each line in another existing list Post 302554189 by TAPE on Saturday 10th of September 2011 03:51:57 PM
Old 09-10-2011
Heya radoulov, many thanks for your prompt response.

Tried it out and works great, thanks for the great answer !

Have to admit a lot of what is written there is waaaay out of my comfort zone,
is this the best / fastest way to do this with large lists ?
Any other ways possible that are easily shown ? (just out of curiosity Smilie )

In any case thanks for the answer, I am a happy man Smilie

Cheers - TAPE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add Multiple Lines in an existing file

Hi Unix Experts, I like to add the following multiple lines in an existing file: CHANNELS: MaxChannels=600 MaxActiveChannels=600 MaxInitiators=22 I would be highly appreciated if somebody can shed some light on it. Thank you in advance!!! Khan (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkhan12
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

folder existing and file existing

I want to look into a folder to see if there are any folders within it. If there are, I need to check inside each folder to see if it contains a .pdf file So If /myserver/myfolder/ contains a folder AND that folder conatins a .pdf file do X Else do Z I may have multiple folders and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert text between lines of an existing file using perl

Hi , I need some inputs on how to open a file (file.txt) and parse the text example aaa of the file and bbb of the file and add the text zzzz once i parse (aaa and bbb) and followed by the remaining of the text as it is in the file using perl programming. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhul2002
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Add existing user into an existing group

Pre: no gpasswd/adduser there is just usermod can be used, also there is no -a option for usermod. How should I add a user into a group? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert pipes for existing and non-existing records

I have a source file like this, L4058S462 34329094 F51010141TK1070000483L4058S462 34329094 0232384840 381892 182 5690 L4058S462 34329094 F51020141FIRST CLEARING, LLC A/C 3432-9094 L4058S462 34329094 F51030141JOHAN HOLMQVIST ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanamr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a CPIO to an existing archive

I created a CPIO archive I wanted to add addition data to it but am having issues: -rw-r--r-- 1 test test 629295104 2011-10-28 12:41 /home/test/Downloads/test.cpio I tried: sudo find /tmp -depth | cpio -oAO /home/test/Downloads/test.cpio cpio: premature end of file and (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append to existing line

I have a file which has lines that end with a plus (+) sign. I would like to get the next line appended to the one with the plus. For example bla bla bla bla bla + blip blip blip would become bla bla bla bla bla blip blip blip However not all lines end with a plus sign . I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending new column to existing files

Hi, i want to add another column to existing files containing strings and need to have the final output as a csv file. i have quite a number of files, each with varying number of rows and i need to append the string "test" for all the valid rows for each file. my sample raw files looks like this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Build a table from a list by comparing existing table entries

I am new to this shell scripting.... I have a file which contains list of users. This files get updated when new user comes into the system. I want to create script which will give a table containing unique list of users. When I say unique, it means script should match table while parsing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchavan1901
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding non-existing words in a list of files in a directory and its sub-directories

Hi All, I have a list of words (these are actually a list of database table names separated by comma). Now, I want to find only the non-existing list of words in the *.java files of current directory and/or its sub-directories. Sample list of words:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhanu Dhulipudi
8 Replies
UPSCLI_GET(3)							    NUT Manual							     UPSCLI_GET(3)

NAME
upscli_get - retrieve data from a UPS SYNOPSIS
#include <upsclient.h> int upscli_get(UPSCONN_t *ups, int numq, const char **query, int *numa, char ***answer) DESCRIPTION
The upscli_get() function takes the pointer ups to a UPSCONN_t state structure, and the pointer query to an array of numq query elements. It builds a properly-formatted request from those elements and transmits it to upsd(8). Upon success, the response will be split into separate components. A pointer to those components will be returned in answer. The number of usable answer components will be returned in numa. USES
This function implements the "GET" command in the protocol. As a result, you can use it to request many different things from the server. Some examples are: o GET NUMLOGINS <ups> o GET UPSDESC <ups> o GET VAR <ups> <var> o GET TYPE <ups> <var> o GET DESC <ups> <var> o GET CMDDESC <ups> <cmd> QUERY FORMATTING
To generate a request for GET NUMLOGINS su700, you would populate query and numq as follows: int numq; const char *query[2]; query[0] = "NUMLOGINS"; query[1] = "su700"; numq = 2; All escaping of special characters and quoting of elements with spaces is handled for you inside this function. ANSWER FORMATTING
The raw response from upsd to the above query would be NUMLOGINS su700 1. Since this is split up for you, the values work out like this: numa = 3; answer[0] = "NUMLOGINS" answer[1] = "su700" answer[2] = "1" Notice that the value which you seek typically starts at answer[numq]. ERROR CHECKING
This function will check your query against the response from upsd(8). For example, if you send "VAR" "su700" "ups.status", it will expect to see those at the beginning of the response. If the results from upsd do not pass this case-insensitive test against your request, this function will return an error. When this happens, upscli_upserror(3) will return UPSCLI_ERR_PROTOCOL. ANSWER ARRAY LIFETIME
The pointers contained within the answer array are only valid until the next call to a upsclient function which references them. If you need to use data from multiple calls, you must copy it somewhere else first. The answer array and its elements may change locations, so you must not rely on previous addresses. You must only use the addresses which were returned by the most recent call. You also must not attempt to use more than numa elements in answer. Such behavior is undefined, and may yield bogus data or a crash. The array will be deleted after calling upscli_disconnect(3). Any access after that point is also undefined. RETURN VALUE
The upscli_get() function returns 0 on success, or -1 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
upscli_list_start(3), upscli_list_next(3), upscli_strerror(3), upscli_upserror(3) Network UPS Tools 05/22/2012 UPSCLI_GET(3)