Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Aptitude removes all packages Post 302553853 by pludi on Friday 9th of September 2011 03:05:06 AM
Old 09-09-2011
Since you removed pretty much every single important library, and the package management tools too, it probably would be faster to install the base system again, and restore the data from backup if needed. You do have a good backup?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Debian aptitude - apt-get problem

I've got a strange one. As root, in aptitude, I'll do an update successfully. Then I do an upgrade, the files download, the progress bar will not show total progress, just progress per file, then reset to 0% for the next file. When the files complete downloading, I hit a carrige return to go to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikek147
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script removes itself

I have a script that reads from a file and deletes all files in tha path specified in the file.The problem,however, is the script also deletes itself from the home directory where I run it :-( #!/bin/ksh while read DAYS PURGE_PATH do cd $PURGE_PATH find . \( -type d ! -name . -prune \)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayarsenal
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

apt vs aptitude little tutorial

Hi all I dont know if this is right place but I saw somewhere dd tutorial so I decidet to write a little tutorial about debian package manager. I hope this will clear some misundersands about it, maybe somewher i will be wrong or somebody could explain it better so any comments are welcomed. Many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GAWK removes FS | on output

I have the simple gawk script below. When the script runs in the output of all the ITM lines the FS is replaced with a space, the Non ITM lines retain the | field separator. The ITM lines have many fields and I can't insert "|" between each field because some of the fields are blank. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paulr211
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

eval removes backslash

Hi, ============= In one of my config files, I have below command eval echo RECORDDELIMITER '\n' The above command results in removing backslash and outputs: RECORDDELIMITER n ============= Any workaround to retain the backslash after eval. Appreciated for your... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
10 Replies

6. Slackware

Find Slackware Packages - packages.acl.org.ua

Hi! Let me introduce a project for find and download Slackware packages and browse Slackware repositories. The site provides following features: * Large, daily updated database with RPM, DEB, TGZ, TXZ packages for well-known repositories of the Slackware, Fedora, CentOS, RHEL, Debian,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lystor
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

perl/sed -i removes link

hello, is it a behavior of or that "-i" removes unix link . example : i create a file "src_file" and link it to "link_file" and then i start "perl -i" the link is removed. does another option exists to change content of a file without temporary files ? UNIX-Version: HP-UX and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: removes \ from text which causes issues

Hi all, Hoping someone hoping someone might be able to help. i've got the following sed command which i'm using in a bash script that i'm trying to use to insert a new line into an already existing file so i don't have to manually enter it when setting stuff up. the existing script test2/3 are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: springs2
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why awk removes delimiters?

Code : echo "1,2,3,4"|awk -F "," 'NR==n{$3=a}1' n=1 a=45 Output : 1 2 45 4 Expected : 1,2,45,4 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_us
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk removes delimiter unexpectedly

datafile: blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah=0_nblah=0-- ,blah,blah,blah im using the following command to turn the "_n" and "-- " to just a space " " only in the $9th field. meaning, it has to make the changes only in the 9th column/field of the datafile. awk -F, '{... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
APT-MARK(8)                                                             APT                                                            APT-MARK(8)

NAME
apt-mark - show, set and unset various settings for a package SYNOPSIS
apt-mark {-f=filename | {auto | manual} pkg... | {showauto | showmanual} [pkg...] } | {-v | --version} | {-h | --help} apt-mark {hold | unhold | install | remove | purge} pkg... | {showhold | showinstall | showremove | showpurge} [pkg...] DESCRIPTION
apt-mark can be used as a unified front-end to set various settings for a package, such as marking a package as being automatically/manually installed or changing dpkg selections such as hold, install, deinstall and purge which are respected e.g. by apt-get dselect-upgrade or aptitude. AUTOMATICALLY AND MANUALLY INSTALLED PACKAGES
When you request that a package is installed, and as a result other packages are installed to satisfy its dependencies, the dependencies are marked as being automatically installed, while the package you installed explicitly is marked as manually installed. Once an automatically installed package is no longer depended on by any manually installed package it is considered no longer needed and e.g. apt-get or aptitude will at least suggest removing them. auto auto is used to mark a package as being automatically installed, which will cause the package to be removed when no more manually installed packages depend on this package. manual manual is used to mark a package as being manually installed, which will prevent the package from being automatically removed if no other packages depend on it. showauto showauto is used to print a list of automatically installed packages with each package on a new line. All automatically installed packages will be listed if no package is given. If packages are given only those which are automatically installed will be shown. showmanual showmanual can be used in the same way as showauto except that it will print a list of manually installed packages instead. Options -f=filename, --file=filename Read/Write package stats from the filename given with the parameter filename instead of from the default location, which is extended_status in the directory defined by the Configuration Item: Dir::State. PREVENT CHANGES FOR A PACKAGE
hold hold is used to mark a package as held back, which will prevent the package from being automatically installed, upgraded or removed. unhold unhold is used to cancel a previously set hold on a package to allow all actions again. showhold showhold is used to print a list of packages on hold in the same way as for the other show commands. SCHEDULE PACKAGES FOR INSTALL, REMOVE AND PURGE Some front-ends like apt-get dselect-upgrade can be used to apply previously scheduled changes to the install state of packages. Such changes can be scheduled with the install, remove (also known as deinstall) and purge commands. Packages with a specific selection can be displayed with showinstall, showremove and showpurge respectively. More information about these so called dpkg selections can be found in dpkg(1). OPTIONS
-h, --help Show a short usage summary. -v, --version Show the program version. -c, --config-file Configuration File; Specify a configuration file to use. The program will read the default configuration file and then this configuration file. If configuration settings need to be set before the default configuration files are parsed specify a file with the APT_CONFIG environment variable. See apt.conf(5) for syntax information. -o, --option Set a Configuration Option; This will set an arbitrary configuration option. The syntax is -o Foo::Bar=bar. -o and --option can be used multiple times to set different options. FILES
/var/lib/apt/extended_states Status list of auto-installed packages. Configuration Item: Dir::State::extended_states. SEE ALSO
apt-get(8),aptitude(8),apt.conf(5) DIAGNOSTICS
apt-mark returns zero on normal operation, non-zero on error. BUGS
APT bug page[1]. If you wish to report a bug in APT, please see /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt or the reportbug(1) command. AUTHORS
Mike O'Connor APT team NOTES
1. APT bug page http://bugs.debian.org/src:apt APT 1.6.3ubuntu0.1 25 September 2015 APT-MARK(8)