Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Network DVD booting?
Operating Systems Solaris Network DVD booting? Post 302553795 by NooK on Thursday 8th of September 2011 05:15:36 PM
Old 09-08-2011
Network DVD booting?

Hello guys.

As my first post I'd like to briefly day that I work with unix relatively often but nothing too advanced however I am an enthusiast and learn quickly.

After doing some reading I was able today (For the first time) to perform a network solaris installation (Solaris 10) by using another solaris server as the install server.

My problem starts in the fact that my next step is usually to boot from a second DVD which performs a veritas SF installation. This usually goes by me booting into the DVD (By running "boot cdrom - install" from the OK prompt) and after a few seconds I get a question of which disk to install Veritas to and then it starts extracting the whole thing.

After I found out that this DVD also contains the Solaris_10/Tools directory, I proceeded to create the install server, adding the client machine and then doing "boot net - install". Everything looked fine except that instead of getting the question of where to install Veritas and then the extraction, I was thrown inside the Solaris installation procedure again (Asking which nic interfaces to configure and so forth).

What am I doing wrong? How can I boot a DVD from the network in the exact same way that it would have booted from the physical media?

For information, this is Sparc Solaris 10, platform is sun4v, on a T5220 Sun machine.
I am not using jumpstart, no configuration files or anything. Oh and if anybody is wondering the reason I am booting from the network is because the DVD reader of the second server is broken and it usually takes too long to replace so I am trying to cut down on time (Plus I am eager to learn).

Regards
NooK

Last edited by NooK; 09-08-2011 at 06:21 PM..

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Booting from a DVD?

I'm taking delivery of 8 Sun Ultra 10's this afternoon and I have to install SOLARIS 8 on them. SOLARIS 8 is also being delivered on DVD. My question is : What command at the PROM prompt do I enter to boot from the DVD? Will 'boot cdrom' work or is it simply 'boot dvd'??? i.e ok boot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kanu77
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'

I am getting an error similar to this when I try to watch dvd's. Every program has a similar version of this. unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'For VLC I have found a way to fix it. CD/DVD Drive not working VLC error (SOLVED) (Page 1) - Help & Support (Stable) - CrunchBang Linux Forums... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

3. AIX

Using mkdvd to create bootable mksysb on dvd reports success but nothing on dvd?

Hello, Running AIX 7.1 7100-00-03-1115, trying to make a mksysb image to a dvd drive using mkdvd. My final command looks like this.. mkdvd -e -V rootvg -R -C /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/cd_fs -I /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/cd_images -M /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/mksysbimage -d /dev/cd0 -Y When i run this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris x86 11.3 'live' DVD, network issue

Hi All, Has anyone else come across a network interface issue after installing Solaris x86 11.3 from the 'live' DVD? I have had issues myself and also found others have similar issues. On my systems, installing Solaris 11.3 works fine but after rebooting (from the hard disk root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
4 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)