Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script - to append single quotes and comma Post 302553777 by radoulov on Thursday 8th of September 2011 03:42:54 PM
Old 09-08-2011
This should work on most systems:

Code:
perl -nle'push @_, $_;
  print "(", (join ",", map "\47$_\47", @_,), ")" 
    if eof
  ' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes or single quotes when using ssh?

I'm not very familiar with the ssh command. When I tried to set a variable and then echo its value on a remote machine via ssh, I found a problem. For example, $ ITSME=itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx "ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME" itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 'ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME' itsyou $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i use single quotes for SQL command in shell script

Hi. please help me to write the following query in a shell script. the Query is :select no,salary from emp_info where name='$var_name' the following is my code. #! /bin/sh var_name=$1 sqlplus -s user/pwd@DB << EOF select no,salary from emp_info where name="'$var_name'";... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to append a value seperated by comma

I have a file like below. How can I add a new value after moss separated by a comma. This adding script should work in such a way that each time i pass a value it should be added one after the other separated by commas. hru:122: hello:123:john,philip,mary,kp,moss hi:124: bye:125: Can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep single quotes or double quotes

Unix superusers, I am new to unix but would like to learn more about grep. I am very familiar with regular expressions as i have used them for searching text files in windows based text editors. Since I am not very familiar with Unix, I dont understand when one should use GREP with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_vandelet
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having a terrible problem with quotes/single quotes!

Hello. I'm trying to write a bash script that uses GNU screen and have hit a brick wall that has cost me many hours... (I'm sure it has something to do with quoting/globbing, which is why I post it here) I can make a script that does the following just fine: test.sh: #!/bin/bash # make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jondecker76
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell adding extra single quotes

AIX 6.1 bash shell #!/bin/bash -x STATEMENT="cvs commit -m \"This is\" ../PBP/EIR.ENTRY" echo $STATEMENT exit 0 This is the output + STATEMENT='cvs commit -m "This is" ../PBP/EIR.ENTRY' + echo cvs commit -m '"This' 'is"' ../PBP/EIR.ENTRY cvs commit -m "This is" ../PBP/EIR.ENTRY + exit... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpodhrad
26 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script to append double quotes for each column in a file

Hi Experts, I am beginner to the shell scripting, My requirement is to append double quotes for each column in a file if double quotes does not exist. Example: "abc"|123|"gh-ch"|23.067 Use code tags, thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: spidy
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse comma separated field and removing comma in between number and double quotes

Hi Experts, Please support I have below data in file in comma seperated, but 4th column is containing comma in between numbers, bcz of which when i tried to parse the file the column 6th value(5049641141) is being removed from the file and value(222.82) in column 5 becoming value of column6. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace newline with comma and append quotes

Hi, I have below requirement. Apple Orange Banana Required O/p in bash 'Apple,Orange,Banana' Can you please help. Please wrap your samples, codes in CODE TAGS as per forum rules. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rtk
3 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
compares three versions of a file, and prints disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: all three files differ file1 is different file2 is different file3 is different The type of change required to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = or Text is to be changed in the range line n1 through line n2. If n1 = n2, the range can be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Produces a script for the editor that can be used to incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3 (see ed(1)); i.e., the changes that normally would be flagged and Produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged Produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged Produces a script that will incorporate all changes between file2 and file3, but treat overlapping changes (that is, changes that would be flagged with in normal listing) differently. The overlapping lines in both files will be inserted by the edit script bracketed by and lines. Produces a script that will incorporate only changes flagged , but treat these changes in the manner of option. The following command applies the resulting script to file1. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
Text lines that consist of a single period defeat Files longer than 64K bytes do not work. FILES
SEE ALSO
diff(1). diff3(1)