Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Delete large number of columns rom file Post 302553766 by lost.identity on Thursday 8th of September 2011 02:12:15 PM
Old 09-08-2011
Delete large number of columns rom file

Hi,

I have a data file that contains 61 columns. I want to delete all the columns except columns, 3,6 and 8. The columns are tab de-limited. How would I achieve this on the terminal?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete rows by RowNumber from a Large text file

Friends, I have text file with 700,000 rows. Once I load this file to our database via our cutom process, it logs the row number for rejected rows. How do I delete rows from a Large text file based on the Row Number? Thanks, Prashant (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppat7046
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to delete a large file in sco openserver 6

How does one delete a large file say file.txt of size 4331456 blocks (2217697280 bytes) in a directory in sco openserver 6 ... Upon executing the command # rm file.txt the error message is as below ... rm: file.txt non-existent: Value too large for defined data type (error 79) any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jksah
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete \n in a large file with sed

Hello i have a big file with a specific format and delimiter is "§" : §field1§$field2§$field3§$field4§$field5§$field6§$field§ in this file we have a field which are very long (more than 20000 chars !!!!) so through vi i cant manipulate them. despite this i managed to suppress lines that... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ade05fr
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large file - columns into rows etc

I have done a couple of searches on this and have found many threads but I don't think I've found one that is useful to me - probably because I have very basic comprehension of perl and beginners shell so trying to manipulate a script already posted maybe beyond my capabilities.... Anyway - I... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: Myrona
26 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete large number of files

Hi. I need to delete a large number of files listed in a txt file. There are over 90000 files in the list. Some of the directory names and some of the file names do have spaces in them. In the file, each line is a full path to a file: /path/to/the files/file1 /path/to/some other/files/file 2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inakajin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying number by looking a large file

Hi All, I have a big file which looks like this: abc 34.32 cdf 343.45 computer 1.34 ladder 2.3422 I have some 100000 .TXT files which look like this: computer cdf align I have to open each of the text files and read the words from the text files. Then I have to look into that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete rows with particular number of columns

Hello Guys I have a flat file with few thousands of rows. Now each rows have different number of columns I want to delete the rows which has not equal to 749 columns Can you guys please let me know how to do the same Your help is much appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete 1 record in large file!

Hi All, I'm a newbie here, I'm just wondering on how to delete a single record in a large file in unix. ex. file1.txt is 1000 records nikki1 nikki2 nikki3 what i want to do is delete the nikki2 record in file1.txt. is it possible? Please advise, Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with solution to add together columns of large file

Hi everyone. I have a file with ~500 columns and I would like to perform a simple calculation on every two columns. The file looks like this: $cat input id A B C D E F.....X 1 2 4 2 3 4 1 n 2 4 6 4 6 4 5 n 3 4 7 5 2 2 3 n 4 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract spread columns from large file

Dear all, I want to extract around 300 columns from a very large file with almost 2million columns. There are no headers, but I can find out which column numbers I want. I know I can extract with the function 'cut -f2' for example just the second column but how do I do this for such a large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fndijk
1 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of column as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
July 29, 2004 BSD