Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to install drivers in Fedora 15 Post 302553598 by ndaka123488 on Thursday 8th of September 2011 03:31:58 AM
Old 09-08-2011
How to install drivers in Fedora 15

Hi all

I have a Universal PCI RS-232 card and I need to install drivers for it.

I have the drivers CD, Is there anyway I can install it from add/remove program application. It does not give me the option to browse for the drivers.

Secondly, I have tried to install it from the terminal and it displays the following output.

[lab@lab /]$ ls
bin cgroup etc lib media opt root sbin srv temp usr
boot dev home lost+found mnt proc run selinux sys tmp var
[lab@lab /]$ cd temp/
[lab@lab temp]$ ls
snx snx_V1.3.3.0.tar.gz snx_Ver1-2-0-0
[lab@lab temp]$ cd snx
[lab@lab snx]$ ls
driver Makefile README snxdump snxmknod snxterm
[lab@lab snx]$ ./configure
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
[lab@lab snx]$ make
cd driver;\
make
make[1]: Entering directory `/temp/snx/driver'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.40.4-5.fc15.i686/build SUBDIRS=/temp/snx/driver modules
make: Entering an unknown directory
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.40.4-5.fc15.i686/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: Leaving an unknown directory
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/temp/snx/driver'
make: *** [driver_make] Error 2
[lab@lab snx]$

It displays the same output, even when I log in as root.

Help. I need to install this drivers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

here's how i did a very simple install of invidia drivers

ok i got the nvida drivers for mandrake9 rpm there is 3 rpms you must have glx ,kernel and something else email me if you want the precompiled drivers :: email removed :: once i got the drivers in stalled then i reseted the computer then i put the 1cd of mandrake9 in and did a upgrade i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2000
2 Replies

2. Linux

Trying to install Fedora Core 3...

Hiya all, Hope you can help. I keep getting the same Error message when I try to install. I have tried several different Diskettes. And I finally ordered CDs from "FASTDISCs". The install "disc Checks" passed fine on these. The error: "The package usbitils-0.11.6.1 cannot be opened. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: marty 600
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install drivers Solaris 10 x86

I am trying to figure out a way to install drivers for a network card. I have a 3C905C-TXM 3Com card that appeared to check out on Solaris's Web Site. I found what I thought was a driver, although that may not be the case, because the instructions asked me to copy-and-paste the contents into a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jody
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Install Oracle on Fedora Linux

I have a Fedora Linux server in my office. I want to install an Oracle 10.1.0 Client on this server. I have root access to this box and I have thee zip file of the Client installation. Can anyone let me know the steps. I assume the following. . Create an Oracle user. . Assign a password and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
0 Replies

5. Linux

Fedora Install Help

Hi, I have just bought a new Laptop HP Pavillion dv6646us which came with pre-loaded Vista which has stupidly occupied all 140 GB of hard disk with around 8 GB for System Recovery on another disk. Both disks are primary partitions Now, I want to install Fedora in the primary partition and if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MULTIVERSE
2 Replies

6. Debian

Kernel source not found. (can't install network card drivers)

I've had no luck with help on linuxquestions so I figured I'd try here. I'm using debian etch. The problem is that I can not install my network card because it says: Makefile:62: *** Linux kernel source not found. Stop. I have the kernel-headers installed. I've looked all over the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Virtuality
9 Replies

7. Red Hat

Install Fedora core 10.0 packages

Hello All, I hv installed fedora 10 on my PC. At the time of installation, i skipped some of the other packages. Now i wanted to install the other packages from the DVD. How sholud i install the other packages. My DVD is bootable one which i got thru software magazines. So it contains FC 10 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phpalerts
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Install telnet in Fedora 8 ?

Hi,I need to make a test on Fedora 8, with a Telnet... and seems NOT to beenabled.The package is installed, but if I have a look into /etc/xinedtd thereis no TELNET file ?Is there any changes into FEDORA 8 ?Plz help .. ...Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to properly install kernel in fedora 10?

Hello and thank you for looking into my question. Well my question is quite straight forward. I am trying to install the latest kernel ( from kernel.org under mainline directory ). But strange error messages are coming up. Can someone please guide me through steps how did you install kernel in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lynxys
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Install a Software on Fedora!

Hi, I've been busy since this afternoon with an editor called e3 installation process! I have the source code and I think that I have to make a .C file first then try make command ... ./configure doesn't work, there is no useful README and I am completely lost... The file for Fedora x86_64 is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: almirzaee
1 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)