Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to create metadb with zpool in Solaris 11 Post 302553567 by christr on Thursday 8th of September 2011 02:06:26 AM
Old 09-08-2011
I posted a link earlier, but it said the moderators have to inspect it first before it shows up on this thread. The instructions explain how to setup mirroring.

You don't need SVM with ZFS. ZFS is capable of handling mirroring on its own, and ZFS mirroring is much, MUCH better than SVM.

---------- Post updated at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:02 AM ----------

If you don't have any space left on the disk you're out of luck on adding any additional slices unless you reinstall the OS. However, ZFS can do anything that SVM could do (and more).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

solaris with metadb

Hi All, If solaris has metadb services on the disk, it means that it has a HW raid controller. Or what. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to create metadb when there is no free slice

Hi All, I have to do disk mirroring, for that I have to create a metadb as disk mirroring have to do with SVM. However I do not have any slice free for metadb. What are the options? Please suggest (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
4 Replies

3. Solaris

zpool create - long time creation

Hello, I have a 520GB SAN resource connected to the server via FC (4Gbit). In the next step he wants to create pool storage: After 15 hours Pool has not yet created... Is such a long waiting time is normal? Should I have done? Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Increase root filesystem on solaris zone using zpool

I have a solaris zone of 12 GB and i have to increase the / filesystem to 31GB as requested. Earlier I had expanded filesystems other than / by setting quota to new value like "zfs set quota=new value mountpoint" but I am not sure whether its a good practice in zfs because by default in my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikkash
5 Replies

5. BSD

Unable to create zfs zpool in FreeBSD 8.2: no such pool or dataset

I am trying to test simple zfs functionality on a FreeBSD 8.2 VM. When I try to run a 'zpool create' I receive the following error: # zpool create zfspool /dev/da0s1a cannot create 'zfspool': no such pool or dataset # zpool create zfspool /dev/da0 cannot create 'zfspool': no such pool or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Check Solaris VM Databases metadb does not have enough information about logical volumes

Check Solaris VM Databases metadb does not have enough information about logical volumes. Current value is 0% I have checked the SVM status, all disks are good state and synched perfectly. no errors in metadb -i. what is this alert exact mean? what we have to check for the value? Please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naveen.6025
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Upgrading Solaris - what happens to zpool/zfs versions

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've googled lots and don't think I can find an easy answer to this. We're in the process of upgrading Solaris from v10 5/08 to v10 9/10. The zpools for luns are currently at version 10, and I understand Solaris v10 9/10 has support for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 10: I forgot to detach a zone before zpool export. Uninstall zone?

Dear all, recently, I migrated a solaris zone from one host to another. The zone was inside of a zpool. The zpool cotains two volumes. I did the following: host1: $ zlogin zone1 shutdown -y -g0 -i0 #Zone status changes from running to installed $ zpool export zone1 host2: $ zpool... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: custos
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 Volume Manager - adding slice to metadb

Hi all, I added a new disk slice to the current metadb. Below is what I see bash-3.2# metadb -i flags first blk block count a m p luo 16 8192 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 a p luo 8208 8192 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris can not boot because metadb lost

how to recovery metadb? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dzung
1 Replies
mdlogd(1M)						  System Administration Commands						mdlogd(1M)

NAME
mdlogd - Solaris Volume Manager daemon SYNOPSIS
mdlogd DESCRIPTION
mdlogd implements a simple daemon that watches the system console looking for messages written by the Solaris Volume Manger. When a Solaris Volume Manager message is detected, mdlogd sends a generic SNMP trap. To enable traps, you must configure mdlogd into the SNMP framework. See . USAGE
mdlogd implements the following SNMP MIB: SOLARIS-VOLUME-MGR-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN IMPORTS enterprises FROM RFC1155-SMI DisplayString FROM SNMPv2-TC; -- Sun Private MIB for Solaris Volume Manager sun OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { enterprises 42 } sunSVM OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { sun 104 } -- this is actually just the string from /dev/log that -- matches the md: regular expressions. -- This is an interim SNMP trap generator to provide -- information until a more complete version is available. -- this definition is a formalization of the old -- Solaris DiskSuite mdlogd trap mib. svmOldTrapString OBJECT-TYPE SYNTAX DisplayString (SIZE (0..255)) ACCESS read-only STATUS mandatory DESCRIPTION "This is the matched string that was obtained from /dev/log." ::= { sunSVM 1 } -- SVM Compatibility ( error trap ) svmNotice TrapTRAP-TYPE ENTERPRISE sunSVM VARIABLES { svmOldTrapString } DESCRIPTION "SVM error log trap for NOTICE. This matches 'NOTICE: md:'" ::= 1 svmWarningTrap TRAP-TYPE ENTERPRISE sunSVM VARIABLES { svmOldTrapString } DESCRIPTION "SVM error log trap for WARNING.. This matches 'WARNING: md:'" ::= 2 svmPanicTrap TRAP-TYPE ENTERPRISE sunSVM VARIABLES { svmOldTrapString } DESCRIPTION "SVM error log traps for PANIC.. This matches 'PANIC: md:'" ::= 3 END ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWlvma, SUNWlvmr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Obsolete | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
snmpdx(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Jun 2004 mdlogd(1M)