Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combine 2 values into single variable Post 302553525 by melias on Wednesday 7th of September 2011 11:27:51 PM
Old 09-08-2011
Thanks for the replies.

itkamaraj, your solution combined all fields into a single record. What I want is to combine field 1 and field 2 into a single variable, so that the result is "asset serial", etc, etc,

The data is originally formatted in 2 columns, asset followed by serial and there are several hundred records.

jayan_jay, I tried your suggestion initially but the output is seperated by a new line if I run the output through a for/next loop. I want to loop over the data so that I have "asset serial" as a single variable which I can supply to another script.

Thanks for help received so far.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Now to merge/combine several filesystems/harddisks to show up as one single?

hi i have a server with 4 harddisks now i want to somehow combine these 4 harddisks to show up to the system as 1 big harddisk, so i can put my web-root into that big virtual partition. can you guys please point me into to the right direction to achieve this? thanks a lot in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfake
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple lines in single line

This is related to one of my previous post but now with a slight difference: I need the "Updated:" to be in one line as well as the "Information:" on one line as well. These are in multiple lines right now as seen below. These can have 2 or more lines that needs to be in one line. System name:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine in single file

I have 2 files: phone.txt and mobile.txt ex. phone.txt MOBILENO|DISABLE_DATE 919687877754|9/1/2011| 919687877762|9/1/2011| 919687880573|9/1/2011| 919687882658|9/2/2011| Ex. mobile.txt MOBILENO |TIME 919687880573|2011-09-17 12:23:40| 919687882658|2011-10-10 21:15:33|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: khingx
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using multiple values for single variable in a loop

Hello Guys, I have a small loop problem as below. I have 3 different values to be used while running the same script - va1="some-value1" va2="some-value2" va3="some-value3" Now I want to use these three variable values to be used for running the same command, like - while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find first files in a directory and combine them as a single file?

i have below list of files in a directory. /root/admin/files/file1.txt /root/admin/files/file2.txt /root/admin/files/file3.txt /root/admin/files/pattern.txt /root/admin/files/server.txt i need combine the above text files in the below sequence, file1.txt, pattern.txt,server.txt =>... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine Multiple Files into Single One File One after other

I am trying to combine 4 .dat files into one single Output file Inputs are:- file123.dat, file256.dat, file378.dat & file490 Expected Output:- FileName=file1 {text from file1} EOF {blank line} FileName=file2 {text from file2} EOF {blank line} FileName=file3 {text from file3} EOF... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Pattern and combine into single file

Hi Experts Please help me out with the following thing: 2 files and want the output file: {No for using FOR loop because I got 22 million lines} Tried that "It processes only 8000 records per hour" I need a faster way out !!! FileA: 9051 9052 9053 9054 9055 9056 9057 9058 9059 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navkanwal
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple lines into single line

Hi All , I have a file with below data # User@Host: xyz @ # Query_time: t1 Lock_time: t2 Rows_sent: n1 Rows_examined: n2 SET timestamp=1396852200; select count(1) from table; # Time: 140406 23:30:01 # User@Host: abc @ # Query_time: t1 Lock_time: t2 Rows_sent: n1 Rows_examined:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_411
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine 2 Outputs with a single Checklist

Checklist 1.1; Contains Solaris 1.2; Contains Patches 1.3; <no output> 1.3.1; <no output> Output1 1.1 Solaris 10 8/07 s10s_u4wos_12b SPARC 1.2 Patch: 127714-03 Obsoletes: Requires: 120011-14 Incompatibles: Packages: SUNWsshcu, SUNWsshdu, SUNWsshu Patch: 128253-01 Obsoletes:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Combine multi-row cell into a single line

My CSV file looks similar to this example (the K, L, and M are in the same cell as J but each on a new line within that cell): 1, A, B, C, D 2, E, F, G, H 3, I, J N, O, K L M, 4, P, Q, R, S I would like to have it look like this: 1, A,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kim Ashby
6 Replies
ldns-read-zone(1)					      General Commands Manual						 ldns-read-zone(1)

NAME
ldns-read-zone - read a zonefile and print it SYNOPSIS
ldns-read-zone ZONEFILE DESCRIPTION
ldns-read-zone reads a DNS zone file and prints it. The output has 1 resource record per line, and no pretty-printing makeup. OPTIONS
-c Canonicalize all resource records in the zone before printing -d Only print DNSSEC data from the zone. This option skips every record that is not of type NSEC, NSEC3, RRSIG or DNSKEY. DS records are not printed. -b Include Bubble Babble encoding of DS's. -0 Print a (null) for the RRSIG inception, expiry and key data. This option can be used when comparing different signing systems that use the same DNSKEYs for signing but would have a slightly different timings/jitter. -h Show usage and exit -n Do not print the SOA record -p Pad the SOA serial number with spaces so the number and the spaces together take ten characters. This is useful for in file serial number increments. -s Strip DNSSEC data from the zone. This option skips every record that is of type NSEC, NSEC3, RRSIG or DNSKEY. DS records are still printed. -S [[+|0]number | YYYYMMDDxx | unixtime ] Set serial number to the given number, or when preceded by a sign, offset the exisiting number with it. When giving the literal strings YYYYMMDDxx or unixtime, the serial number is tried to be reset in datecounter or in unixtime format respectively. Though is the updated serial number is smaller than the original one, the original one is simply increased by one. When updating a serial number, records of type NSEC, NSEC3, RRSIG and DNSKEY will be skipped when printing the zone. -v Show the version and exit -z Sort the zone before printing (this implies -c) AUTHOR
Written by the ldns team as an example for ldns usage. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <ldns-team@nlnetlabs.nl>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005 NLnet Labs. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. 30 May 2005 ldns-read-zone(1)