Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merging data from 2 files of different lengths? Post 302553117 by sgb2301 on Tuesday 6th of September 2011 09:23:14 PM
Old 09-06-2011
No joy

Hi,

Thanks for that - I have tried going through the example - I can get the example to do what it advertises, but cannot work out how to apply that to my files...

Thanks

Steve

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging data

Hi, I have the following problem: Input: "num1","num2","num3",num4,num5,"num6" required output: "num1num2","num3",num4,num5,"num6" I need to join field 1 and field 2 together but I always end up getting: "num1""num2","num3",num4,num5,"num6" Note that not all fields have " at both... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReV
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for 2 data file merging

Hello Please help me to write Shell script. I want to merge 2 data files . The data files have common columns The data file A have 3 columns Host Version Numberof Failuers The data file B have also 3 coulmns Host Version NumberofFailuers . I want to merge A and B file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: getdpg
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging last and syslog data on time

This is on a HP-UX system. I need to merge the 2 reports, for each line in syslog I need to lookup who was logged in to the pts/# based on the time from the last.txt report. Here is what I get from sulog.log cat syslog | grep "su:" | grep "Jun 14" Jul 14 08:02:48 server1 su: - 2 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting and merging 2 data files

Hi, I have 2 files that I got as an output from another program. They are : File 1 ((((((CtBJa:197.0,CtBTz:197.0):85.0,CtAHr:197.0):116.0,CtDUw:197.0):176.0,CtSwe:197.0):110.0, (CtL2b:197.0,Ct4Bu:197.0):196.0):197.0,CmuNg:197.0);... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging data from one file into another

Hello, I have a master database of a dictionary with the following structure: a=b (b is a Unicode string) a is the English part and b is the equivalent in a foreign language I have also another file which has a database where the /b/ part of the string has been corrected by an expert. let us... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging data in a file

Hello, Firstly I just wanted to say that I'm not a programmer at all and appreciate any help you can give. I am trying to create a shellscript that reformats the file and adding up colums 5 and 6 for those sections that are continuation of the previous line(s) (signified by beginning with '*')... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neilh1703
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with merging data into single line.

Hi, My input is <message> looking for a big <message>Does fit my G74 laptop. Makes the 10 pound. <message> <message>This bag is the only one I could find to fit my awesome ASUS G74S. <message> <message> Great bag my only wish is that they had put a pocket in which to store and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pamu
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two files with different lengths

Hi there, I have two very long files like: file1: two fields 1 123 1 125 1 234 2 123 2 234 2 300 2 312 3 10 3 215 4 56 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ClaraW
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging data horizontally with newlines in files

Hi Everyone, I have two files file1 and file2 with these contents cat file1 AAAAA 01/03/2014 04:01:23 BBBB 01/03/2014 03:03:34 CCCcc 01/03/2014 03:03:34 cat file2 1 RED 1 HHHH 1 TTTT 1 BBBBB I tried the below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya_001
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste files of varying lengths

I have three files of varying lengths and different number of columns. How can I paste all three with all columns aligned? File1 ---- 123 File2 ---- 234 345 678 File3 ---- 456 789 Output should look like: 123 234 456 345 789 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Un1xNewb1e
6 Replies
APPLY(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  APPLY(1)

NAME
apply -- apply a command to a set of arguments SYNOPSIS
apply [-a c] [-d] [-#] command argument ... DESCRIPTION
The apply utility runs the named command on each argument argument in turn. Character sequences of the form ``%d'' in command, where 'd' is a digit from 1 to 9, are replaced by the d'th following unused argument. In this case, the largest digit number of arguments are discarded for each execution of command. The options are as follows: -# Normally arguments are taken singly; the optional number -# specifies the number of arguments to be passed to command. If the number is zero, command is run, without arguments, once for each argument. If any sequences of ``%d'' occur in command, the -# option is ignored. -a c The use of the character '%' as a magic character may be changed with the -a option. -d Display the commands that would have been executed, but do not actually execute them. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable affects the execution of apply: SHELL Pathname of shell to use. If this variable is not defined, the Bourne shell is used. EXAMPLES
apply echo a* is similar to ls(1); apply -2 cmp a1 b1 a2 b2 a3 b3 compares the `a' files to the `b' files; apply -0 who 1 2 3 4 5 runs who(1) 5 times; and apply 'ln %1 /usr/joe' * links all files in the current directory to the directory /usr/joe. FILES
/bin/sh default shell AUTHORS
Rob Pike BUGS
Shell metacharacters in command may have bizarre effects; it is best to enclose complicated commands in single quotes (''). HISTORY
The apply command appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
April 4, 1994 BSD