Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Newbie Backup Script
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Newbie Backup Script Post 302553111 by doctorfoo1 on Tuesday 6th of September 2011 08:09:16 PM
Old 09-06-2011
add this line to the top somewhere.
Quote:
# The script must be run as root
#
if [ "$USER" != "root" ]; then
echo "Must be run as root"
exit 1
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 7 newbie tape backup question

Hello all, I have an ss20 running Solaris 7, with an attached 4mm tape drive. The machine has one 1.2GB SCSI HDD. I would like to backup other machines to tape, but I can't do a stopover on the ss20s hard disk, as there is virtually no space available. Is there a way I can make the tape... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolok
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - shell script newbie

My problem looks like it should have a simple solution but it seems that after many days of research I cannot find a good solution. What I have is an input file that contains lines of information. What I need is to extract specific information from that file. What I know is that somewhere in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eback
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Question - Help with script

Hi I have about 5000 expired images that need removed from disk. Instead of doing it manually I am trying to use the following script: #vi remove_expired_images FilePath=/Scripts for i in `cat $FilePath/backupid.txt` do #echo $i >> $FilePath/Jim.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script help (newbie)

Im a UNIX newbie so please excuse the little knowledge I have, Im trying to learn. I created a script that logs into multiple servers, gets data and saves it on the local server. The script looks like this.. #!/opt/local/bin/expect # Set username/password to initially login to switch.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jay11789
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie needs help with ping script

Hi all, I've been trying to get this script right for the past few days and just can't figure out where I'm going wrong. Since one of my internet connections is extremely flaky I want to run this script to ping every 5 minutes and then reboot the router via telnet if I don't get a response. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goatmilk
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie wanting help with a script

Hi I am new to scripting and having trouble with an assignment. I have written this script: #!/bin/bash PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin printf "\nWhat is the name of the input file? " read INPUT_FILE if test ! -f ./$INPUT_FILE ; then printf "\nNo matching file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: foyn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

please help newbie with script

hi!i am musician and have very little knowledge about shell here's my script #!/bin/bash for (( ; ; )) do wget some wikipedia article here --output-document=- > /dev/audio done so it downloads random wikipedia page (forum doesnt let me post link so i wrote some wikipedia article here... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlhungus
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script newbie, what is problem with my script?

Hello, Ubuntu server 11.10 can anybody help what is problem with my shell script? #!/bin/bash #script to find out currently logged on user is root or not. if ] then echo "You are super" else echo "You are awesome!" fi When I run script, I get following output ./uid: line 3: I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaustubh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies
pmvarrun(8)							     pam_mount							       pmvarrun(8)

Name
       pmvarrun - updates /var/run/pam_mount/user

Syntax
       pmvarrun -u user [options]

Description
       A  separate  program is needed so that /var/run/pam_mount/user may be created with a pam_mount-specific security context (otherwise SELinux
       policy will conflict with gdm, which also creates file in /var/run).

pmvarrun is flexible and can run in a number of different security setups:

root-root
       When pmvarrun is invoked as root, /var/run/pam_mount's permission settings can be as strict as needed; usually (0755,root,root) is  a  good
       pick  as  it  gives  users the debug control over their refcount. Refcount files are given their respective owners (chowned to the user who
       logs in).

user-user
       When invoked as the user who logs in, /var/run/pam_mount needs appropriate permissions to create a file, which means the write bit must	be
       set. It is also highly suggested to set the sticky bit in this case, so other users do not tamper with your refcount.

root-user
       Some  programs or login helpers incorrectly call the PAM stack in a way that the login phase is done as root and the logout phase as a nor-
       mal user.  Nevertheless, pmvarrun supports this, and the same permissions as in root-root can be used. While the user may not  be  able	to
       unlink his file from /var/run/pam_mount, it will be truncated to indicate the same state.

Options
       --help, -h
	      Display help.

--user user, -u user
	      User to handle, must be a valid username.

--operation number, -o number
	      Increase volume count by number.

-d     Turn on debugging.

Files
       /var/run/pam_mount/user

Author
       This  manpage  was originally written by Bastian Kleineidam <calvin@debian.org> for the Debian distribution of libpam-mount but may be used
       by others.

See /usr/share/doc/packages/pam_mount/AUTHORS for the list of original authors of pam_mount.

pam_mount							    2008-10-08							       pmvarrun(8)