Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Print first, second, every nth, and last record Post 302552391 by kenneth.mcbride on Friday 2nd of September 2011 05:02:17 PM
Old 09-02-2011
Print first, second, every nth, and last record

does anyone have an awk one-liner to:

print the first line, the second line, then every Nth line, and the last line of a file.

Thanks,
Kenny.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to extract Nth record?

I have a comma-separated record and I'd like to use sed to pull the Nth record from it. It seems like it'd need to be something like this: sed -n 's/'"\,$1\,"'/&/p' Am I close? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Print Full record and substring in that record

I have i got a requirement like below. I have input file which contains following fixed width records. 00000000000088500232007112007111 I need the full record and concatenated with ~ and characters from 1to 5 and concatenated with ~ and charactes from 10 to 15 The out put will be like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ukatru
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Nth record from last line

I have a growing file . I knew only last few lines which is constant for evey job run. I'd need to pull the Nth record from the last line. In this case i should not use search pattern. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ford2020
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Print from nth field to mth fields using awk

Hi, Is there any short method to print from a particular field till another filed using awk? Example File: File1 ==== 1|2|acv|vbc|......|100|342 2|3|afg|nhj|.......|100|346 Expected output: File2 ==== acv|vbc|.....|100 afg|nhj|.....|100 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print every nth line

Dear all, How to print every nth line. File like this: File input: 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print Nth to last field

Hey, I'm sure this is answered somewhere but my Googling has turned up nothing. I have a file with data in the following format: <desription of event> at <time and date>The desription of the event is variable length and hence when the list is displayed it is hard to easily see the date (and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RECrerar
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print nth line in a file

Bash/Oracle Linux 6.4 A basic requirement. How can I get nth line of a file printed ? Can I use grep in this case ? Example: In the below file, 12th line is "Kernel parameter check passed for rmem_max" . I just want the 12 line to be printed. # cat sometext.txt Kernel version check... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies

8. AIX

Print nth previous line after match

Please help me print nth line after match awk or sed one line command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushma123
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print lines based upon unique values in Nth field

For some reason I am having difficulty performing what should be a fairly easy task. I would like to print lines of a file that have a unique value in the first field. For example, I have a large data-set with the following excerpt: PS003,001 MZMWR/ L-DWD// * PS003,001... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to print nth till last column of ls output using sed

I wish to print first, third and sixth till the last column from the output of ls command ls -ltr /app/deploy.yml -rw-rw-r-- 1 user1 dba 27342 Aug 28 10:17 /app/deploy.yml Desired Output: Below command gives me the desired output. ls -ltr /app/deploy.yml | awk '{$2=$4=$5=""; print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)