Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to grep and store in a file Post 302552342 by DallasT on Friday 2nd of September 2011 01:26:04 PM
Old 09-02-2011
Total genius.

Thanks (and nice dp).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and store

When i grep a file and store it in a file it is storing as a zero byte file any way to avoid that..... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep results to store in a shell variable

I have the results of a grep with -n store in a shell variable ie VAR=`grep -n -e 'PATTERN' file` How ever I am missing the line breaks in the variable , How do I store the resualts of grep with many lines in to a variables. I want the varable should be the sawmway as we do the grep grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to store grep command in a Variable

I have a variable A echo $A 5060 I am exporting the value X,Y,Z and it id fetching right thing and When I run C=`${X} -l ${Y} ${Z} "trap '' INT;. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; netstat -na | grep \$A`" here it is going to same directory and also running netstat -na | grep 5060 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read and separate number and words in file and store to two new file using shell

hi, I am a begginer in unix and i want to know how to open a file and read it and separate the numbers & words and storing it in separate files, Using shell scripting. Please help me out for this. Regards S.Kamakshi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP/AWK to extract a number and store it as a variable

Hello, I have a question regarding the awk command. Here is the line I need to grep: 1 F= -.13250138E+03 E0= -.13249556E+03 d E =-.174650E-01 mag= 35.2157 Instead of displaying the number in red I would like to store it as a variable such as X. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: modey3
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep attribute value pair and store it a variable

Hi, I have a file contains attribute value pair like.. ..name=erick rollno=583.0 pass=recon.. From the above line, i need to grep for only "rollno" and store "rollno=583.0" in a variable. Pls suggest (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skraja1982
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store grep output file

Hi, I'm trying to store the output from a grep, I just want the file name. But couldn't find how to do it. Basically, I just want to grep <etc> * and I want to store the file name. There is only one file with the what I'm grepping, so storing in a variable o an array its the same. If someone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radicaled
3 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to store the value of grep in a variable

Hi , I was trying to store the value of a grep command to store in a variable so i can use it somewhere else in my script but i am getting error, i am using bash shell in linux: var= `grep -n "$DATE" testfile.log | head -n 1 | sed -n 's/^\(*\).*/\1/p` echo "$var"I get the error: unexpected... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learninguser235
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store result of grep into a variable?

In a directory i have a file *output* whose contents are changing for every simulation. zgrep "trace file is" *output* | zgrep g o/p: trace file is Int_01.1352176388z4f56ec33.0.trace.gz I want to extract "Int_01.1352176388z4f56ec33.0.trace.gz" from the above result into a variable. i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twistedpair
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hit multiple URL from a text file and store result in other test file

Hi, I have a problem where i have to hit multiple URL that are stored in a text file (input.txt) and save their output in different text file (output.txt) somewhat like : cat input.txt http://192.168.21.20:8080/PPUPS/international?NUmber=917875446856... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
3 Replies
NICE(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   NICE(1)

NAME
nice -- execute a utility at an altered scheduling priority SYNOPSIS
nice [-n increment] utility [argument ...] DESCRIPTION
The nice utility runs utility at an altered scheduling priority, by incrementing its ``nice'' value by the specified increment, or a default value of 10. The lower the nice value of a process, the higher its scheduling priority. The superuser may specify a negative increment in order to run a utility with a higher scheduling priority. Some shells may provide a builtin nice command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. ENVIRONMENT
The PATH environment variable is used to locate the requested utility if the name contains no '/' characters. EXIT STATUS
If utility is invoked, the exit status of nice is the exit status of utility. An exit status of 126 indicates utility was found, but could not be executed. An exit status of 127 indicates utility could not be found. EXAMPLES
Execute utility 'date' at priority 5 assuming the priority of the shell is 0: nice -n 5 date Execute utility 'date' at priority -19 assuming the priority of the shell is 0 and you are the super-user: nice -n 16 nice -n -35 date COMPATIBILITY
The traditional -increment option has been deprecated but is still supported. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), idprio(1), rtprio(1), getpriority(2), setpriority(2), renice(8) STANDARDS
The nice utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A nice utility appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
February 24, 2011 BSD