Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with fork() on windows Post 302552322 by alister on Friday 2nd of September 2011 11:22:33 AM
Old 09-02-2011
Short version:

fork() is creating a new thread within the same process and returning that pseudo-process id. When you exec() from within that pseudo-process' thread, an actual new process with a different pid is created to run the exec()'d executable. The kill() is affecting the pseudo-process thread in the current process, not the separate process created by the exec().

Long version:
See the exec section @ perlfork - perldoc.perl.org

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 09-02-2011 at 12:58 PM..

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to use function fork() in Windows NT

Hello, I need to make a gateway from Ethernet to RS-485. I am using stream socket, and I am programming in windows nt. I would like to know how could I use some functions from unix in windows nt. I would like to use the function fork(). Which library it uses and how can I get it? Can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danieljorge
1 Replies

2. Programming

Fork or what?

Hello all. I'm developing a filetransfer application, which is supposed to work sort of like dcc, with multiple transfers etc. Now i wonder what the best way to manage the transfers is. Should i fork() for each new transfer, hogging loads of memory or use pthreads? Maybe I can use select to see... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crippe
0 Replies

3. Programming

Fork and \n

Hi, I wrote a simple program for understanding the fork command. The code is as below int main(void) { fork(); printf("hi 1 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 2 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 3 \n"); } I am getting a variation in the number of times the printf is called if i remove the \n from each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork()

I'm trying to run a simple test on how to use fork(), i'm able to execute the child process first then the parent, but how can I execute parent then child..? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
1 Replies

5. Programming

Fork!

I understand that fork create a child but I need very simple example that make child useful.... I mean how will make the program faster anyone explain with code plz using C plz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
2 Replies
pid(1T) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   pid(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
pid - Retrieve process identifiers SYNOPSIS
pid ?fileId? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If the fileId argument is given then it should normally refer to a process pipeline created with the open command. In this case the pid command will return a list whose elements are the process identifiers of all the processes in the pipeline, in order. The list will be empty if fileId refers to an open file that isn't a process pipeline. If no fileId argument is given then pid returns the process identi- fier of the current process. All process identifiers are returned as decimal strings. EXAMPLE
Print process information about the processes in a pipeline using the SysV ps program before reading the output of that pipeline: set pipeline [open "| zcat somefile.gz | grep foobar | sort -u"] # Print process information exec ps -fp [pid $pipeline] >@stdout # Print a separator and then the output of the pipeline puts [string repeat - 70] puts [read $pipeline] close $pipeline SEE ALSO
exec(1T), open(1T) KEYWORDS
file, pipeline, process identifier ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 7.0 pid(1T)