Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to grep and store in a file Post 302552301 by joeyg on Friday 2nd of September 2011 09:43:27 AM
Old 09-02-2011
If always in same layout

Code:
cut -d"|" -f13 <inputfile.txt >outputfile.txt

replace inputfile and outputfile with your actual filenames

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and store

When i grep a file and store it in a file it is storing as a zero byte file any way to avoid that..... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep results to store in a shell variable

I have the results of a grep with -n store in a shell variable ie VAR=`grep -n -e 'PATTERN' file` How ever I am missing the line breaks in the variable , How do I store the resualts of grep with many lines in to a variables. I want the varable should be the sawmway as we do the grep grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to store grep command in a Variable

I have a variable A echo $A 5060 I am exporting the value X,Y,Z and it id fetching right thing and When I run C=`${X} -l ${Y} ${Z} "trap '' INT;. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; netstat -na | grep \$A`" here it is going to same directory and also running netstat -na | grep 5060 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read and separate number and words in file and store to two new file using shell

hi, I am a begginer in unix and i want to know how to open a file and read it and separate the numbers & words and storing it in separate files, Using shell scripting. Please help me out for this. Regards S.Kamakshi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP/AWK to extract a number and store it as a variable

Hello, I have a question regarding the awk command. Here is the line I need to grep: 1 F= -.13250138E+03 E0= -.13249556E+03 d E =-.174650E-01 mag= 35.2157 Instead of displaying the number in red I would like to store it as a variable such as X. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: modey3
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep attribute value pair and store it a variable

Hi, I have a file contains attribute value pair like.. ..name=erick rollno=583.0 pass=recon.. From the above line, i need to grep for only "rollno" and store "rollno=583.0" in a variable. Pls suggest (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skraja1982
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store grep output file

Hi, I'm trying to store the output from a grep, I just want the file name. But couldn't find how to do it. Basically, I just want to grep <etc> * and I want to store the file name. There is only one file with the what I'm grepping, so storing in a variable o an array its the same. If someone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radicaled
3 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to store the value of grep in a variable

Hi , I was trying to store the value of a grep command to store in a variable so i can use it somewhere else in my script but i am getting error, i am using bash shell in linux: var= `grep -n "$DATE" testfile.log | head -n 1 | sed -n 's/^\(*\).*/\1/p` echo "$var"I get the error: unexpected... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learninguser235
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store result of grep into a variable?

In a directory i have a file *output* whose contents are changing for every simulation. zgrep "trace file is" *output* | zgrep g o/p: trace file is Int_01.1352176388z4f56ec33.0.trace.gz I want to extract "Int_01.1352176388z4f56ec33.0.trace.gz" from the above result into a variable. i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twistedpair
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hit multiple URL from a text file and store result in other test file

Hi, I have a problem where i have to hit multiple URL that are stored in a text file (input.txt) and save their output in different text file (output.txt) somewhat like : cat input.txt http://192.168.21.20:8080/PPUPS/international?NUmber=917875446856... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
3 Replies
gst-thumbnail(1)						   User Commands						  gst-thumbnail(1)

NAME
gst-thumbnail - thumbnailer for Nautilus SYNOPSIS
gst-thumbnail [gst-std-options] inputfile outputfile DESCRIPTION
Creates a PNG thumbnail for a video file, used by Nautilus. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: gst-std-options Standard options available for use with most GStreamer applications. See gst-std-options(5) for more information. inputfile A video file. outputfile A PNG thumbnail file. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gst-thumbnail Executable for thumbnailer for Nautilus ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-media | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gst-complete(1), gst-compprep(1), gst-feedback(1), gst-inspect(1), gst-launch(1), gst-md5sum(1), gst-register(1), gst-typefind(1), gst- xmlinspect(1), gst-xmllaunch(1), gstreamer-properties(1), nautilus(1), libgstreamer-0.8(3), libgstgetbits(3), gst-std-options(5) NOTES
Original man page written by the GStreamer team at http://gstreamer.net/. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 2 Sep 2004 gst-thumbnail(1)