Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script does not close terminal after running Post 302552055 by Ditzyken on Thursday 1st of September 2011 01:10:27 PM
Old 09-01-2011
say what?
your explanation is probably 100% correct, but i don't understand a thing of it Smilie

but when i just use exit i think it should exit the terminal, or am i that wrong?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script without a terminal session

I'm trying to figure out how I can run a script "myScript.sh" in such a way that if my remote network connection gets disconnected, the script doesn't stop functioning. Right now I log in, run "./myScript.sh" and watch my output get pumped to a log file for about 10 hours. Only problem is that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

running terminal with script

suppose we have a file ab 81 and another file exec < $1 while read line do ssh root@172.16.1.$line done while running the command sh file.sh ab output display as shown Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal. root@172.16.1.81's password: after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems running script on remote Terminal

Hi, I'm new here so please excuse any stupidity that occurs in my post :P My situation: Have a java program which I have to run a ridiculous amount of times and put the output data into a text file. Thought the easiest way to do this would be to delve into the world of scripts. I am at home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lozyness
1 Replies

4. AIX

User cant log in (close terminal)

Hello everyone I have a user on my server, Aix 5.3 TL9 sp4. Weeks ago I dont have a problem but today the user cannot log in. let me explain. Me with root user I can change his password. then I log in with the user and I can change the password and the terminal close. Im using ssh. But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of NOHUP - How to keep the child process running even if I close the Server connection

Hi. ! When I use the 'NOHUP' along with the '&', the process will be running in the background. Even when I attempt to close (Meaning 'EXIT') the session (say PUTTY in this case), it wont exit unless the process is completed. But, say when I forcefully terminate the session (SHUT DOWN the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WinBarani
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

close a mac terminal

Is there a trick to closing a mac terminal with a command? I would think you could just type exit into your terminal but that doesn't work. I also tried quit and close just for the hell of it and that didn't work either. Does anyone know what the command is? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running shell script in Cygwin terminal

I am new to shell scripting. I tried to run a simple shell script using Cygwin terminal in Win XP env. The script I have written is as follows - #!/bin/bash a=5 ] && echo "true" || echo "false" But when I execute the script, getting some confusing error. The error I am getting are - ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_learner
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Close UNIX terminal

Hi, In one of the circumstances, my manager asked my password and opened unix terminal (Putty) with my user credentials. Its been more than 2 days that terminal is opened (saw it through finger command). How do I close that terminal which is not opened in my pc. I'm very uncomfortable of the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal running bash/rsync script does not close with exit (MacOS High SIerra)

Hello, I am running a bash script to do an rsync back on a computer running MacOS High Sierra. This is the script I am using, #!/bin/bash # main backup location, trailing slash included backup_loc="/Volumes/Archive_Volume/00_macos_backup/" # generic backup function function backup {... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
12 Replies
tty(1)								   User Commands							    tty(1)

NAME
tty - return user's terminal name SYNOPSIS
tty [-l] [-s] DESCRIPTION
The tty utility writes to the standard output the name of the terminal that is open as standard input. The name that is used is equivalent to the string that would be returned by the ttyname(3C) function. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -l Prints the synchronous line number to which the user's terminal is connected, if it is on an active synchronous line. -s Inhibits printing of the terminal path name, allowing one to test just the exit status. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tty: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Standard input is a terminal. 1 Standard input is not a terminal. >1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
isatty(3C), ttyname(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
not on an active synchronous line The standard input is not a synchronous terminal and -l is specified. not a tty The standard input is not a terminal and -s is not specified. NOTES
The -s option is useful only if the exit status is wanted. It does not rely on the ability to form a valid path name. Portable applications should use test -t. SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 tty(1)