Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: assign date to a variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting assign date to a variable Post 302551955 by xXWiLdAcEXx on Thursday 1st of September 2011 07:04:49 AM
Old 09-01-2011
xXWiLdAcEXx-2:~ xXWiLdAcEXx$ DATE=`date +%d`
xXWiLdAcEXx-2:~ xXWiLdAcEXx$ echo $DATE
Thu 1 Sep 2011 14:00:33 AST

thats it...however when i do

xXWiLdAcEXx-2:~ xXWiLdAcEXx$ date +%d

which i might be able to manipulate using the if/then construct...yes?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assign to variable

why i can't use this command: echo $arg | cut -c 1,2 | read remainArg or echo $arg | cut -c 1,2 | read $remainArg so that the result will be assign to remainArg. Anyway to do this? :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a value to variable

I have to assign a result of a query to a vairable like this how can i do this Query = select count(*) from table x=`db2 ${Query}| sed -n '4p'` but this doesn't work, is there any other way to assign the result without redirecting the result to temp file. . Thanks Mark. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: markjason
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to assign a value to variable

Hi Experts, I am facing some problem while developing the script.My input config.csv file contains the three columns namely pathname,filename,filetype.Based on the file type i have to use ftp command that is if filetype=csv then do ftp. The input file is cat config.csv... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell assign variable to another variable

How can I assign a variable to an variable. IE $car=honda One way I can do it is export $car=honda or let $car=2323 Is there any other ways to preform this task (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
3 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

assign yesterday's date to variable

Hi, i am trying to assign yesterday's date to a variable on below system - Machine hardware: sun4u OS version: 5.9 Processor type: sparc usr> setenv dt `date +"%Y%m%d"` usr> echo $dt 20100820 i am able to assign today's date but similarly i want to assign yesterday's... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulbahulekar
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh PS4 variable assign to `date` output

Hi guys, Is there a way to assign curent time to PS4 variable in ksh. My goal is to have each line produced by 'set -x' command to have a time stamp. Here is my code: $cat test #!/usr/bin/ksh export PS4="`date` " set -x echo "TRACE LINE ONE" echo "I WILL SLEEP FOR 10 SEC" sleep 10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Assign value to variable

Hi Guys, I need to assign the value of which has rows to a variable, Can you advise how to do that hive --orcfiledump /hdfs_path/ | grep "Rows" Rows: 131554 I need to assign this row count itself to a unix variable count=$(hive --orcfiledump /hdfs_path/ | grep "Rows") Expected ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Master_Mind
6 Replies
DATE(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   DATE(1)

NAME
date -- display or set date and time SYNOPSIS
date [-ajnu] [-d date] [-r seconds] [+format] [[[[[[CC]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.SS]] DESCRIPTION
date displays the current date and time when invoked without arguments. Providing arguments will format the date and time in a user-defined way or set the date. Only the superuser may set the date. The options are as follows: -a Use adjtime(2) to change the local system time slowly, maintaining it as a monotonically increasing function. -a implies -n. -d date Parse the provided human-described date and time and display the result without actually changing the system clock. (See parsedate(3) for examples.) -j Parse the provided canonical representation of date and time (described below) and display the result without actually changing the system clock. -n The utility timed(8) is used to synchronize the clocks on groups of machines. By default, if timed is running, date will set the time on all of the machines in the local group. The -n option stops date from setting the time for other than the current machine. -r seconds Print out the date and time that is seconds from the Epoch. -u Display or set the date in UTC (universal) time. An operand with a leading plus (+) sign signals a user-defined format string which specifies the format in which to display the date and time. The format string may contain any of the conversion specifications described in the strftime(3) manual page, as well as any arbitrary text. A <newline> character is always output after the characters specified by the format string. The format string for the default display is: %a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y If an operand does not have a leading plus sign, it is interpreted as a value for setting the system's notion of the current date and time. The canonical representation for setting the date and time is: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). yy The second two digits of the year. If yy is specified, but CC is not, a value for yy between 69 and 99 results in a CC value of 19. Otherwise, a CC value of 20 is used. mm The month of the year, from 01 to 12. dd The day of the month, from 01 to 31. HH The hour of the day, from 00 to 23. MM The minute of the hour, from 00 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 00 to 61. Everything but the minutes is optional. Time changes for Daylight Saving and Standard time and leap seconds and years are handled automatically. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables affect the execution of date: TZ The timezone to use when displaying dates. See environ(7) for more information. FILES
/etc/localtime Symlink pointing to system's default timezone information file in /usr/share/zoneinfo directory. /var/log/wtmp A record of date resets and time changes. /var/log/messages A record of the user setting the time. EXAMPLES
The command: date '+DATE: %m/%d/%y%nTIME: %H:%M:%S' will display: DATE: 11/21/87 TIME: 13:36:16 The command: date 8506131627 sets the date to ``June 13, 1985, 4:27 PM''. The command: date 1432 sets the time to 2:32 PM, without modifying the date. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 on success, 1 if unable to set the date, and 2 if able to set the local date, but unable to set it globally. Occasionally, when timed(8) synchronizes the time on many hosts, the setting of a new time value may require more than a few seconds. On these occasions, date prints: 'Network time being set'. The message 'Communication error with timed' occurs when the communication between date and timed fails. SEE ALSO
adjtime(2), gettimeofday(2), settimeofday(2), parsedate(3), strftime(3), utmp(5), timed(8) R. Gusella and S. Zatti, TSP: The Time Synchronization Protocol for UNIX 4.3BSD. STANDARDS
The date utility is expected to be compatible with IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
November 15, 2006 BSD