Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk weird problem.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk weird problem. Post 302551854 by alister on Wednesday 31st of August 2011 11:39:29 PM
Old 09-01-2011
Because it's printing the concatenation of 3 floating point numbers: 1.2, 0.3, and 0.4. If you want to print the ip address, quote it so that it's parsed as a string.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird Problem???

I have a problem I don't understand... I am trying to declare a variable, and then output the results of that variable, couldn't be simpler #!/bin/ksh VAR='Oranges' if then echo "Found Lemons" elif then echo "Found Oranges" fi The output shouold clearly be "Found Oranges", but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Weird crontab problem

Greetings To All! I am running Solaris 10 in a sparc environment. Here is the deal: In /var/spool/cron/crontabs, there is a cron user named "sys". If I do a crontab -l sys, it returns: # 0 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 # 20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 # 5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobSand
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird date difference problem

I am trying to find the difference in days between 2 dates. I have to extract the 1st date from a filename, which i did using the awk command. I have to compare this date to today's date and if the difference is greater than 30 days, do something, else do something else. This is what i wrote... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeraKh
22 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird Variable Evaluation problem

Hi Guys.. I have a script which is: #!/bin/ksh for file in `grep qtc $PIC_SHS/xback00.ksh |cut -d"=" -f2` do ls $file cp $file ./ done output of grep is $ grep qtc $PIC_SHS/xback00.ksh |cut -d"=" -f2 $PIC_BIN/XPBACKRC0.qtc $PIC_BIN/XPBACK000.qtc $PIC_BIN/XPBACKSS0.qtc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsi.coe
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Really weird delete problem

Hi, I've Ubuntu 8.04, and it has some files that I just cannot delete. I've tried everything, inode, fsck etc. Here is what the ls -li outputs root@ubuntu:/home/luser/.local/share/Trash/files/junk# ls -l ls: cannot access TRUNK_: No such file or directory ls: cannot access 2006_output.mv:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
11 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Weird dependency problem!

Hi, I want to install net-snmp-devel package but i have following dependecy problem. It's very odd, i don't get it. One of packages is depended on the other one, the other one is depended on the previous one as well. :S :S Could you help me please? Here are the steps: # ls -l total... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oduth
4 Replies

7. Programming

A weird problem with POSIX function

Hi all, Sorry for the title because I didn't find a proper name for it. My question is about POSIX functions, such as timer_create(), mq_open() and pthread_create(). void test_queue() { struct mq_attr attr; attr.mq_maxmsg = 10; attr.mq_msgsize = 64; mq_unlink("/my_test_queue");... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bus147
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

A very weird problem about getting a random string

Hi, guys Here is my script and it's an imaginary script to recast a string randomly. #!/bin/bash # scriptname: recast_string # purpose: recast a string randomly like this "abc123" --> "21a3cb" or "a31b2c" function recast() { local original_string=$1 local... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird problem with join command

I have a weird issue going on with the join command... I have two files I am trying to join...here is a line from each file with the important parts marked in red: file1: /groupspace/ccops/cmis/bauwkrcn/commsamp_20140315.txt,1 file2:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbiggied
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird awk problem

Hi, I have a simple awk script: BEGIN{} { $a=$2-$1; print $a } END{if(NR==0){ print "0" } } to which I provide the following input 2.9 14 22.2 27 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
4 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)