Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help in extracting logs in readable format Post 302551117 by Corona688 on Monday 29th of August 2011 12:24:16 PM
Old 08-29-2011
First off, that's a useless use of cat. Any program in UNIX which uses stdin is fully capable of reading files without being spoon-fed by cat. program < filename or <filename program | program2 ...

If you have a modern enough shell, how about this:

Code:
while read LINE
do
        read LINE2
        echo "${LINE2:0:5}" "${LINE}"
done < data

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert multi format file to a readable ascii format

Hi I have a file which has ascii , binary, binary decimal coded,decimal & hexadecimal data with lot of special characters (like öƒ.ƒ.„İİ¡Š·œƒ.„İİ¡Š· ) in it. I want to standardize the file into ASCII format & later use that as source . Can any one suggest a way a logic to convert such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
5 Replies

2. Programming

converting unix timestamp into readable format using c++

hi everyone, im new here and am in desperate need of help. I want to convert my 32 bit unix time stamp ' 45d732f6' into a readable format (Sat, 17 February 2007 16:53:10 UTC) using c++. I have looked around the interent but i just cant make sense of anything. All examples i can find just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uselessprog
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

file in malibox is readable format?

Hi, Files coming to mailbox are in readable format? Is there any special command to read these files. suppose i have sent a file like this megh$mailx -s "mesg" xyz@server.domain<file1.dat can xyz directly read the file from his mailbox? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert unix date to readable format

Dear Experts, I need your help to convert a unix date and time format number in to readable format like dd/mm/yyyy . I have a text file of more than 10,000 records and it is like NAME DATE1 COUNTRY DATE2 ABD 1223580395699 USA 1223580395699... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shary
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting binary file to readable format in Ksh

In Unix/Ksh, when I try to look inside a file it says that the file may be a binary file and if I want to see it anyway. When i say 'yes', it shows me the content filled with unreadable symbols (looks like binary). Is there a command that I can run from the Unix prompt to convert/translate that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthurs
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vmstat in a better readable format

Dear All: Is there a way to nicely format the vmstat output: #3sec interval, 5 measurements vmstat 3 5 It prints out all the good info but not in a very readable format. Any help, advise, suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tom_k_mishra
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display Directories with their sizes in human readable format

Hi, I want to list all the directories present in a particular location and want to display their sizes as well. I know "ls -lh" but it doesn't show the size of the complete directory. So i want something like dir1 266 MB dir2 2 KB dir3 22 MB ... ... file1 10 Kb ..... Thanks Sarbjit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arranging Haphazard output in readable format

Dear Friends, Need your help once again. I have a sql to download output in pipe separated format. Due to that output looks haphazard. E.G. $cat output.temp 123|456|789|0 67345123||3455|1 7124563|432343414||345324 By any was can we arrange it in tabular format for better... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Readable passwords in logs

I'm looking for two scripts, can anyone help me on this. The first one to scan log files in /xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/USERLOGS and /xxxx/xxxxx/xxx/xxx/xxx/Logs and list out all files and the offending lines that have a readable password. Check the accuracy of the script to see if it is missing lines... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamayam
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a random epoch time into a readable format

I am trying to create a script that will take epoch (input from command line) and convert it into a readable format in bash/shell ---------- Post updated at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:59 PM ---------- #!bin/bash read -p "Please enter a number to represent epoch time:"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprocket
9 Replies
purple-url-handler(1)						   User Commands					     purple-url-handler(1)

NAME
purple-url-handler - Python script to handle URL with purple SYNOPSIS
purple-url-handler [-URL] DESCRIPTION
Python script to handle URL with purple. OPTIONS
Usage: purple-url-handler URL Example: purple-url-handler "xmpp:romeo@montague.net?message" ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-im-client | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
purple-remote(1), purple-send(1), purple-send-async(1), attributes(5) purple-url-handler Manual, http://pidgin.im/ NOTES
Updated by Lei Ju, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2006, 2007. SunOS 5.11 02 Apr 2008 purple-url-handler(1)