Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [SOLVED] Handling multiple files using awk Post 302550866 by danmero on Sunday 28th of August 2011 07:55:36 AM
Old 08-28-2011
Code:
awk ' BEGIN {OFS="\t\t";while(getline < "file2"){m[$1]=$2;n[$1]=$3}}{m[$1]+=$2;n[$1]+=$3}{print $1,m[$1],n[$1]}' file1

or using sort at the end
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{OFS="\t\t"}END{for(i in a) print i,b[i],c[i]}{a[$1];b[$1]+=$2;c[$1]+=$3}'  file1 file2 | sort

This User Gave Thanks to danmero For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling multiple fields of a database file for toupper() function in awk

hello everyone.... script is: To convert the contents of a database file into uppercase my code is: printf "%s\n" , $2 | awk '{print toupper($2)}' emp.lst i m able to do only for one field.....didn't get any sources for handling multiple fields. please suggest me for multiple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priyanka Bhati
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling multiple files using awk command and wants to get separate out file for each

hai all I am new to the world of shell scripting I wanted to extract two columns from multiple files say around 25 files and i wanted to get the separate outfile for each input file tired using the following command to extract two columns from 25 files awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hema dhevi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling 2 files simultaneously with awk

Hello, Is it possible to handle data from two different files at once in awk (latest version and platform is Fedora). I found on the net that we cannot nest awk. My requirement is that I have two similar files : File 1: Name: abc Val = 58 Name: cdf Val = 1; .................. File... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fifteate
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] moving multiple files? mv

HI I have a list of files that are incorrectely names and I need to move them to new name .. I tried few things that has not worked so far can you help ? I need to rename all thes eifle ( tere are over 100 ) xldn0357bap.orig.new xldn0389bap.orig.new xldn0439bap.orig.new... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Rename multiple files

Hi. I have a large number of files with names like: t_ 0.20000E-02.dat There is actually a space after the underscore. These files are numbered numerically, i.e. t_ 0.20000E-02.dat, t_ 0.21000E-02.dat, t_ 0.22000E-02.dat and so on. What I would like to do is rename such that the file with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] HP-UX awk sub multiple patterns

Hi, I am using sub to remove blank spaces and one pattern(=>) from the input string. It works fine when I am using two sub functions for the same. However it is giving error while I am trying to remove both spaces and pattern using one single sub function. Working: $ echo " OK => " |awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ISSUE in handling multiple same name files :-(

Dear all, My work is completely stuck cos of the following issue. Please find it here and kindly help me. Task is following: I have set of files with such pattern 1t-rw-rw-r-- 1 emily emily 119 Jun 11 10:45 vgtree_5_1_pfs.root 3t-rw-rw-r-- 1 emily emily 145 Jun 11 10:46 vgtree_5_3_pfs.root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Multiple input files and output files

Hi, I have many test*.ft1 files to which I want to read as input for a script called pipe2txt.tcl and print the output in each separate file. For example, pipe2txt.tcl < test001.ft1 > test001.txt How can I read many files in this maner? thank you very much, Best, Pahuja (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pahuja
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] List Files With Multiple Name Patterns

Hi, We have created a script that would accept the an indicator as a parameter and archive files present in a directory. The indicator would drive what the name pattern of the files to be archived should be. If the indicator is 1, then the pattern to look out for is FACT*. If the indicator is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome_rajan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to remove multiple files?

Hi Gurus, I have below files in one directory. the file name has date and time portion which is exactly the file be created. I need keep only lasted created file which is abc_20140101_1550 and remove rest of the file. abc_20140101_1300 abc_20140101_1200 abc_20140101_1400 abc_20140101_1500... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)