Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to set xterm for Window Titls for PuTTy Post 302550796 by h@foorsa.biz on Saturday 27th of August 2011 01:09:10 PM
Old 08-27-2011
Put this snippet either or in both .bashrc or .bash_profile if you are using bash shell
Code:
export PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME}: ${PWD}\007"'

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to h@foorsa.biz For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximizing an xterm or aixterm window?

Is there a way to maximize an xterm window in a ksh script? I've tried a number of approaches, but none seem to have the desired affect. All I want to accomplish is to have the window maximized upon being called in the script...i.e: xterm -T MyNewXterm -e programToOpen & | maximized --or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spieterman
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to disable color text in xterm window

Hello, Anyone knows how to disable color text displayed on xterm window screen? I hate that color making me hard to read when front and background color are similar. Thanks, M. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: modemer
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

putty title window?

I have implemented the solution from mschwage located in post https://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-expert-users/35784-change-putty-title-window.html; ie wt () { echo -n "^2;${@}^G" } This method is awesome!!!! The reason I am sending you this message is to get your assistance with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lwif
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bringing an Xterm window to top

Hi, Is there a way to configure a Linux machine so that I can click on any where on the Xterm window to bring it to the front/top. By default, I have to click on the title bar but often the entire title bar is underneath another window. Thanks in advance! PS. GNU/Linux (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pidge66
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I Get the Title of My Putty Window (Emulating an XTerm)

I have a Perl script that changes the terminal window title and I would like to reset it to the original value when I am done. We are using Putty which emulates xterm. We are not running X-Windows so I can't use something like xprop (can I?). I'm using XTerm control codes to change the title and I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NateTut
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xterm window,should not prompt for a password?

Hi all, I have a script that opens a xterm window and will prompt for a password. My intention is, instead of waiting for a password it should get the password from a file. How can I make this happen.?:confused: Any help much appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dnam9917
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Putty - window size

Hi Guys, When I use putty and maximize it, then the second half of the emulator window is not utilized and used! I mean the mouse cursor is at the half of the page not at the bottom! i have to once minimize and maximize the window to tell putty that i am going to use the maxmized window...is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change the window name for putty

Hi everyone , Happy new year ! I have a question , hope someone will respond to me . I will be logging into so many servers in the same putty . So , whenever i loggedoff and loggedin into anonther server , putty window will change accordingly to the server name . If the above is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: radha254
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with putty window setting

hi friends, This is not a shell scripting related doubt, but still posting so that you can answer it ;) or redirect to correct place in this website. Many a times i have to open multiple putty sessions by duplicating a session and want to rename their tabs. For this activity i have to right... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Toggle between xterm window and standard terminal window

Is it possible to toggle back and forth between an xterm invoked from one tty, and a shell invoked from a different tty? I am running Centos 7 with KDE and booting in non-graphic mode. After logging in on the default window (/dev/tty1) , I can then use ALT-F2 to access a new window (/dev/tty2),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhgscty
1 Replies
lxterm(1)						      General Commands Manual							 lxterm(1)

NAME
lxterm - locale-sensitive wrapper for xterm SYNOPSIS
lxterm [ xterm-options ] DESCRIPTION
lxterm is a wrapper around the xterm(1) program that invokes xterm, koi8rxterm(1), or uxterm(1) as appropriate, based on the user's locale setting. All arguments to lxterm are passed to xterm without processing; the -class, -k8, and -u8 options should not be specified because they are used by koi8rxterm and uxterm. See the xterm manual page for more information on xterm-options. The locale(1) utility is used to determine the character set used by the current locale. If the character set is UTF-8, uxterm is invoked; if the character set is KOI8-R, koi8rxtem is invoked; otherwise, 'plain' xterm is invoked. AUTHOR
Branden Robinson SEE ALSO
locale(1), koi8rxterm(1), uxterm(1), xterm(1) Debian Project 2004-12-19 lxterm(1)