Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting content of file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting content of file Post 302550284 by jayan_jay on Thursday 25th of August 2011 08:01:23 AM
Old 08-25-2011
Code:
sort < input > output; mv output input

Last edited by jayan_jay; 08-25-2011 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting file content on columns

guys i have a question: i'd like to sort files (as many I want) in columns so to visualize them one near the other...so let's say i have just 2 files: FILE1 John Mary Bridget FILE2 Anne Robert Mark i would like to obtain: John Anne Mary Robert Bridget ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshmallow
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding & Moving Oldest File by Parsing/Sorting Date Info in File Names

I'm trying to write a script that will look in an /exports folder for the oldest export file and move it to a /staging folder. "Oldest" in this case is actually determined by date information embedded in the file names themselves. Also, the script should only move a file from /exports to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikosey
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting s file

how would i sort a file on the third column based on numerical value instead of the ASCII order? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trob
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting data in file based on field in another file

Hi, I have two files, one of which I would like to sort based on the order of the data in the second. I would like to do this using a simple unix statement. My two files as follows: File 1: 12345 1 2 2 2 0 0 12349 0 0 2 2 1 2 12350 1 2 1 2 2 2 . . . File2: 12350... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasan0
3 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Sorting file content by file extensions

Hi Experts, I have one .txt file which has filenames with various extensions e.g. .gz,.dat,.CTL,.xml. I want to sort all the filenames as per their extensions and would like to delete all the file names with .xml extension. Please help. PS : I am using Sun OS Generic_122300-60. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: replace content from file with the content from file

Hi, I am having trouble while using 'sed' with reading files. Please help. I have 3 files. File A, file B and file C. I want to find content of file B in file A and replace it by content in file C. Thanks a lot!! Here is a sample of my question. e.g. (file A: a.txt; file B: b.txt; file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting content between match pattern and move on with awk and sed

S 0.0 0.0 (reg, inst050) k e f d c S 0.0 0.0 (mux, m030) k g r s x v S 0.0 0.0 (reg, inst020) q s n m (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctphua
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove exisiting file content from a file and have to append new file content?

hi all, i had the below script x=`cat input.txt |wc -1` awk 'NR>1 && NR<'$x' ' input.txt > output.txt by using above script i am able to remove the head and tail part from the input file and able to append the output to the output.txt but if i run it for second time the output is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting from file

Im trying to write a script to make a hockey-table. I have a textfile containing information from a previous season like this Example Round:1 20020923:Leksands IF-Brynäs IF:2-3 : (1-1,0-1,1-1):6298:Leksands Isstadion 20020924:Linköpings HC-Djurgårdens IF:3-0 : (0-0,2-0,1-0):4587:Stångebro... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alimun
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the files after sorting based on file content

Hi, I have two pipe separated files as below: head -3 file1.txt "HD"|"Nov 11 2016 4:08AM"|"0000000018" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" head -3 file2.txt "HD"|"Nov 15 2016 2:18AM"|"0000000019" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" I want to list the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prasannag87
6 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - report repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [ -udc [ +n ] [ -n ] ] [ input [ output ] ] DESCRIPTION
Uniq reads the input file comparing adjacent lines. In the normal case, the second and succeeding copies of repeated lines are removed; the remainder is written on the output file. Note that repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be found; see sort(1). If the -u flag is used, just the lines that are not repeated in the original file are output. The -d option specifies that one copy of just the repeated lines is to be written. The normal mode output is the union of the -u and -d mode outputs. The -c option supersedes -u and -d and generates an output report in default style but with each line preceded by a count of the number of times it occurred. The n arguments specify skipping an initial portion of each line in the comparison: -n The first n fields together with any blanks before each are ignored. A field is defined as a string of non-space, non-tab charac- ters separated by tabs and spaces from its neighbors. +n The first n characters are ignored. Fields are skipped before characters. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1) 7th Edition April 29, 1985 UNIQ(1)