Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Numbering file's lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Numbering file's lines Post 302549346 by eawedat on Monday 22nd of August 2011 05:30:36 PM
Old 08-22-2011
Debian Numbering file's lines

hey

a file called test :
Code:

Code:
hey1
hey2
hey3

how to :
Code:

Code:
1.hey1
2.hey2
3.hey3

maybe using sed!

there is a command nl
nl filename
but it only echos , it does not save to file! i do not know if there is an option

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering lines in a file

Hi all, I need to number the lines in a file. I tried using "set nu" in the vi editor, but it is only temporary. Can anyone help me please. Thanx in advance. MK (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: minazk
4 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Numbering lines in a file

Hi all, I need to number the lines in a file. I tried using "set nu" in the vi editor, but it is only temporary. Can anyone help me please. Thanx in advance. MK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: minazk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering Lines

Hello everyone, I want get numbered lines from a file. and i can do it with: sed = file.txt | sed "/./N; s/\n/ /" | sed -n "5,7p" but the output that i get is something similar to: 5 line5 6 line6 7 line7 and i want something like this (with 2points after the number): 5:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibra
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Numbering lines grep

Is there a way to number lines and use something other than ":" to separate the number from the line? Or can anyone recommend a way to replace the ":" with a tab? Here's what I'm working with: 16859:52.67 16860:46 16861:39.63 16862:33.88 16863:29.64 16864:26.27 16865:22.09... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdolny
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering a Text File

Running into a little problem with blank lines. My file is of this format: To number each line of the file i would use: n=1 echo "$FILE" | while read line do echo "$n) $line" n=`expr $n + 1` But really, i dont want to number the blank lines. What i've tried is to use sed... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: omgsomuchppl
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

numbering lines according to a condition

hello again guys, I tried to make a script but due to array's limitations I didn't succeed...so I'm asking you :) I need numbering the lines according to date (everyday I need to restart the counter) for example: ABCBD 20080101 XXX 1 FSDFD 20080101 BBB 2 FSDFD 20080102 HHH 1 and so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elionba82
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

numbering each line in a text file

I have a simple text file. I want to number each line in that file . for example: My text file is unix my file test My output should be 1 unix 2 my file 3 test (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ghostscript output file numbering?

I am using ghostscript to convert a multi-page pdf file to individual jpg files. I am wondering if there is a way to get ghostscript to start numbering the output jpg files from zero? What i am trying to convey is that it starts naming my files from page_001.jpg, page_002.jpg, etc., and would like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with numbering a file

Hi, All I need to do is number a file. The file looks like this > JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ > JKJKJKKKKKKJJJ > MMMMYKKKJKKK what I want to do is number it so that theres a numerical value beside the >. >1 JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ >2 JKJKJKKKKKKJJJ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

numbering lines in a file

if we execute :set nu in vi mode, it displays the line numbers. so how to make this permanently in a file. Whenever i execute cat , the line numbers should be there. please help me. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies
PPIx::Regexp::Structure::Code(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			PPIx::Regexp::Structure::Code(3pm)

NAME
PPIx::Regexp::Structure::Code - Represent one of the code structures. SYNOPSIS
use PPIx::Regexp::Dumper; PPIx::Regexp::Dumper->new( 'qr{(?{print "hello sailor ")}smx' ) ->print(); INHERITANCE
"PPIx::Regexp::Structure::Code" is a PPIx::Regexp::Structure. "PPIx::Regexp::Structure::Code" has no descendants. DESCRIPTION
This class represents one of the code structures, either (?{ code }) or (??{ code }) METHODS
This class provides no public methods beyond those provided by its superclass. SUPPORT
Support is by the author. Please file bug reports at <http://rt.cpan.org>, or in electronic mail to the author. AUTHOR
Thomas R. Wyant, III wyant at cpan dot org COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2009-2012 by Thomas R. Wyant, III This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl 5.10.0. For more details, see the full text of the licenses in the directory LICENSES. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-06 PPIx::Regexp::Structure::Code(3pm)