Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modify record headers from file Post 302549291 by loba on Monday 22nd of August 2011 01:08:43 PM
Old 08-22-2011
Modify record headers from file

Dear All

I was wondering if anybody is able to help me with a script I am struggling with. I have to add comments to the "head-lines" (start with >) from an other file according to the ID tag. Only the head lines should be modified.

Code:
cat File.txt
>H1_A1_A2_A3_A4_ID1_A5
A:B:C:S:E:E:K
>H2_A1_A2_A3_ID2_A5
D:E:G
>H3_A1_A2_A3_ID5_A5
A:B:S:R:E:K
D:E

Code:
cat comments.txt
ID1;NT001;QTR231
ID2;NT002;QTR251
ID3;NT011;QTR331
ID4;NT022;QTR311
ID5;NT023;QTR551

RESULTS.txt:
Code:
>H1_A1_A2_A3_A4_ID1_A5 ID1 NT001 QTR231
>H2_A1_A2_A3_ID2_A5 ID2 NT002 QTR251
D:E:G
>H3_A1_A2_A3_ID5_A5 ID5 NT023 QTR551
A:B:S:R:E:K
D:E

My best attempt so far:

Code:
#! /bin/bash 

grep ">" $1 | awk -F_ '{print $(NF-1)}' > IDtag.tmp

while read ID
do
    COMMENT=`grep "$ID" $2 | awk -F ";" '{$1="";print}' `
    HEADER=`grep "$ID" $1`
    #DATA=`grep -v "$ID" $1`
    echo $HEADER $COMMENT
    #echo $DATA

done < IDtag.tmp

rm IDtag.tmp

Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited by pludi; 08-22-2011 at 03:30 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

modify a few field of the record information

Hello, I have the following record in a text file, i would like modify some field: 1 - remove all space between ",", but the company name of word will not delete. Anyway, I can use the following statement to do it. 's/^ *//;s/ *, */,/g;s/ *$//' file 2. field #12, I need to modify to time... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a record and adding a record to a file

Hi, I am new to UNIX scripting and woiuld appreicate your help... Input file contains only one (but long) record: aaaaabbbbbcccccddddd..... Desired file: NEW RECORD #new record (hardcoded) added as first record - its length is irrelevant# aaaaa bbbbb ccccc ddddd ... ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsolap
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to read record by record from a file in unix

Hi guys, i have a big file with the following format.This includes header(H),detail(D) and trailer(T) information in the file.My problem is i have to search for the character "6h" at 14 th and 15 th position in all the records .if it is there i have to write all those records into a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raoscb
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text between headers while leaving headers intact

Hi, I'm trying to strip all lines between two headers in a file: ### BEGIN ### Text to remove, contains all kinds of characters ... Antispyware-Downloadserver.com (Germany)=http://www.antispyware-downloadserver.c om/updates/ Antispyware-Downloadserver.com #2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trones
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging of files with different headers to make combined headers file

Hi , I have a typical situation. I have 4 files and with different headers (number of headers is varible ). I need to make such a merged file which will have headers combined from all files (comman coluns should appear once only). For example - File 1 H1|H2|H3|H4 11|12|13|14 21|22|23|23... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marut_ashu
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modify a record in a unix file

I have few records in a file and each file consists of a field for state and country of length 50 characters. Currently it being represented as Austin, Texas(remaining segments upto length 50 are blank) I need to modify this to Austin,Texas(remaining segments upto length 50 are blank) The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayumon
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract timestamp from first record in xml file and it checks if not it will replace first record

I have test.xml <emp><id>101</id><name>AAA</name><date>06/06/14 1811</date></emp> <Join><id>101</id><city>london</city><date>06/06/14 2011</date></join> <Join><id>101</id><city>new york</city><date>06/06/14 1811</date></join> <Join><id>101</id><city>sydney</city><date>06/06/14... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsraju
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot find logical file format for BSD file headers.

Hi. Unix rookie here. Been looking for a few days for reference documents on how BSD UNIX lays the logical file format onto a disk. Goal is to view/edit with hex editor for data repair. Lots of docs are available for how to use Unix commands (like xxd), but I want to learn the map of how Unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris_top_he_r
4 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start com- mand. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)