Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 'for LINE in $(cat file)' breaking at spaces, not just newlines Post 302548595 by natedawg1013 on Thursday 18th of August 2011 09:23:31 PM
Old 08-18-2011
'for LINE in $(cat file)' breaking at spaces, not just newlines

Hello. I'm making a (hopefully) simple shell script xml parser that outputs a file I can grep for information. I am writing it because I have yet to find a command line utility that can do this. If you know of one, please just stop now and tell me about it. Even better would be one I can input the XML file and path to the data (below example would be "foo/bar/c") and get the value. I know this can easily be done in python, but I have no experience in that and I want to make it part of a bigger program.

My goal, if writing the full parser, is to have the input file, for example,
Code:
<foo a="1">
    <bar b="2" c="Some string">
    </bar>
</foo>

output something like
Code:
foo.a="1"
foo.bar.b="2"
foo.bar.c="Some string"

The way I thought about doing this was
Code:
for LINE in $(cat file.xml)
do
if [ -n "$(echo $LINE | grep '<.*>' | grep -ve '<\/.*>')"

followed by how to parse it if it's an open tag <tag> and an if statement for ending tags </tag>.

NOW HERE'S THE PROBLEM:
"cat file.xml" works perfectly in terminal, but when using it in a for loop, assigning it to an array, or anything else, it breaks at spaces and newlines, not just newlines thus if I echoed $LINE in the for loop, the output would be
Code:
<foo
a="1">
<bar
b="2"
c="some
string">
</bar>
<foo>

which works fine for numeric values, but some some of my values are strings with spaces in their data which breaks the code since the value is split in half.

How can I get $LINE to be the full line, not just what's between two spaces? Or what command line utility could extract a piece of information from an XML file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat'ing a multiple line file to one line

I am writing a script that is running a loop on one file to obtain records from another file. Using egrep, I am finding matching records in file b, then outputing feilds of both into another file. **************************** filea=this.txt fileb=that.txt cat $filea | while read line do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djsal
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newb help! file name with spaces breaking up when trying to retrieve it

for file in `ls *.txt` do sed '/s/old/new/g' $file > /tmp/tempfile.tmp mv /tmp/tempfile.tmp $file done the txt files names look like "text file one.txt", "text file two.txt" but when I run it, all i get is: sed: 0602-419 Cannot find or open file text. sed: 0602-419 Cannot find or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking line

My input file is like USER_WORK.ABC USER_WORK.DEF I want output file like ABC DEF (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to append spaces(say 10 spaces) at the end of each line based on the length of th

Hi, I have a problem where I need to append few spaces(say 10 spaces) for each line in a file whose length is say(100 chars) and others leave as it is. I tried to find the length of each line and then if the length is say 100 chars then tried to write those lines into another file and use a sed... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathima
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split a line of a file and cat a file with another

Hi, I have two files one.txt laptop boy apple two.txt unix linux OS openS I want to split one.txt into one line each and concatenate it with the two.txt output files onea.txt laptop (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove newlines and spaces

Hi all, i am getting count from oracle 11g by spooling it to a file. Now there are some newline characters and blank spaces i need to remove these. pl provide me a awk/sed solution. the spooled file is attached. i tried this.. but not getting req o/p (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishav
6 Replies

8. AIX

Script to cat and dd last line!!! of each file

hi Guys, Am new to this awesome forum, and yea i need some help here asap thnx :) i have a directory with over 34000 text files, i need a script that will delete the last line of each of this file without me necessary opening the files. illustration:- file1 200 records file2 130 records... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eetang
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail with cat adding extra spaces in email body

when I try to read a file and send email using cat and sendmail: The email received having additional spaces.(Between the letters of words in the text) My code: export MAILTO="sa@y.com" export SUBJECT="mydomain PREPROD MONITOR AT ${DATE}" export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: visitsany
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed a multiple line pattern that has newlines followed by text and r

Here is the text that I was to run sed on. In this text I want to insert a semi colon ';' before 'select a13.STORE_TYPE STORE_TYPE,' and after 'from ZZMR00 pa11' Input text: insert into ZZMQ01 select pa11.STATE_NBR STATE_NBR, pa11.STORE_TYPE STORE_TYPE, ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: v_vineeta11
9 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)