Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Diff between calling a shell script with ./ and . ./ Post 302548554 by SasDutta on Thursday 18th of August 2011 05:23:03 PM
Old 08-18-2011
Diff between calling a shell script with ./ and . ./

Hi ALL

I have a shell script named setUP in which i am sourcing one variable like

source var_name="CLASSPATH".

When i call it as ./setUP, it does not set the var_name variable. But when i call it like . ./setUP then var_name is set up. What is the difference between this two calls?

Thanks in advance
Sas

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling shell script ?

hi friends, i'm new to unix and straight away i had to start with the script files. I've a script file which gets called from a menu item on a GUI. This script file again calls .awk file, in performing some tasks , which also generates certain files. I modified the files to generate some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ravi_Kandula
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Shell Script

Hello Friends, I have bash script on unix server which i want to call from windows server. Basically i want a command line which will call this script on unix server. Any one has any idea regarding this? Help really appreciated!! Thanks, Roshni. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onlyroshni
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling shell functions from another shell script

Hi, I have a query .. i have 2 scripts say 1.sh and 2.sh 1.sh contains many functions written using shell scripts. 2.sh is a script which needs to call the functions definded in 1.sh function calls are with arguments. Can some one tell me how to call the functions from 2.sh? Thanks in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling another shell script

Hi there, I have an script reading content of a file and runs whatever command is specified there, as follows #!/bin/bash # Supposed to read from a file that commands are listed to be run # when the server starts for initialization CMD_FILE=/myScripts/startup/task2do.txt if ; then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: james gordon
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using Diff

Hello - I have a small diff script that checks 2 directories. It reports the difference in count such as wc -l, and also names the different files. How should I get "ERROR: diff found . (host)" - when it actually finds a diff? This is how I have written: #!/bin/bash ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time Diff in shell script

Hi all , i am trying to calculate time difference btw the script execution I am using solaris start_time=`date +%s` sleep 2 end_time=`date +%s` duration=`expr $end_time - $start_time` when i try to subtract i get the error line 13: %s - -time : syntax error: operand expected... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: posner
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff between calling a shell script with ./ and . ./

Hi ALL I have a shell script named setUP in which i am sourcing one variable like source var_name="CLASSPATH". When i call it as ./setUP, it does not set the var_name variable. But when i call it like . ./setUP then var_name is set up. What is the difference between this two calls? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

serach diff filename in diff location using shell scripting

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. please help me to find out the solution. I need a script where we need to read the text file(consists of all file names) and get the file names one by one and append the date suffix for each file name as 'yyyymmdd' . Then search each file if exists... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How we can pass the argument when calling shell script from perl script

Can someone let me know how could I achieve this In one of per script I am calling the shell script but I need to so one thing that is one shell script call I need to pass pne argument.In below code I am calling my ftp script but here I want to pass one argument so how could I do this (e.g:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
5 Replies
PadWalker(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      PadWalker(3)

NAME
PadWalker - play with other peoples' lexical variables SYNOPSIS
use PadWalker qw(peek_my peek_our peek_sub closed_over); ... DESCRIPTION
PadWalker is a module which allows you to inspect (and even change!) lexical variables in any subroutine which called you. It will only show those variables which are in scope at the point of the call. PadWalker is particularly useful for debugging. It's even used by Perl's built-in debugger. (It can also be used for evil, of course.) I wouldn't recommend using PadWalker directly in production code, but it's your call. Some of the modules that use PadWalker internally are certainly safe for and useful in production. peek_my LEVEL peek_our LEVEL The LEVEL argument is interpreted just like the argument to "caller". So peek_my(0) returns a reference to a hash of all the "my" variables that are currently in scope; peek_my(1) returns a reference to a hash of all the "my" variables that are in scope at the point where the current sub was called, and so on. "peek_our" works in the same way, except that it lists the "our" variables rather than the "my" variables. The hash associates each variable name with a reference to its value. The variable names include the sigil, so the variable $x is represented by the string '$x'. For example: my $x = 12; my $h = peek_my (0); ${$h->{'$x'}}++; print $x; # prints 13 Or a more complex example: sub increment_my_x { my $h = peek_my (1); ${$h->{'$x'}}++; } my $x=5; increment_my_x; print $x; # prints 6 peek_sub SUB The "peek_sub" routine takes a coderef as its argument, and returns a hash of the "my" variables used in that sub. The values will usually be undefined unless the sub is in use (i.e. in the call-chain) at the time. On the other hand: my $x = "Hello!"; my $r = peek_sub(sub {$x})->{'$x'}; print "$$r "; # prints 'Hello!' If the sub defines several "my" variables with the same name, you'll get the last one. I don't know of any use for "peek_sub" that isn't broken as a result of this, and it will probably be deprecated in a future version in favour of some alternative interface. closed_over SUB "closed_over" is similar to "peek_sub", except that it only lists the "my" variables which are used in the subroutine but defined outside: in other words, the variables which it closes over. This does have reasonable uses: see Data::Dump::Streamer, for example (a future version of which may in fact use "closed_over"). set_closed_over SUB, HASH_REF "set_closed_over" reassigns the pad variables that are closed over by the subroutine. The second argument is a hash of references, much like the one returned from "closed_over". var_name LEVEL, VAR_REF var_name SUB, VAR_REF "var_name(sub, var_ref)" returns the name of the variable referred to by "var_ref", provided it is a "my" variable used in the sub. The "sub" parameter can be either a CODE reference or a number. If it's a number, it's treated the same way as the argument to "peek_my". For example, my $foo; print var_name(0, $foo); # prints '$foo' sub my_name { return var_name(1, shift); } print my_name($foo); # ditto AUTHOR
Robin Houston <robin@cpan.org> With contributions from Richard Soberberg, Jesse Luehrs and Yuval Kogman, bug-spotting from Peter Scott, Dave Mitchell and Goro Fuji, and suggestions from demerphq. SEE ALSO
Devel::LexAlias, Devel::Caller, Sub::Parameters COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2000-2009, Robin Houston. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software. It may be used, redistributed and/or modified under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-08-24 PadWalker(3)