Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: exact purpose of links
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers exact purpose of links Post 302548330 by tsurendra on Thursday 18th of August 2011 06:36:12 AM
Old 08-18-2011
Bug exact purpose of links

please explain what is the exact purpose of hard link and soft link

which is best one

thanks in advance

regards,
surendra thota

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Purpose of dsi log

Hi Please explain what is dsi log? Does it stores details related to File systems? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: student2010
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Purpose of /etc/cron.d

What is the purpose of /etc/cron.d? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Purpose of inv

Hi All Can anybody tell me what is the purpose of inv in the below command. ftp -inv $RFTPSERVER /temp/te.txt << EOF and << its stands for what.. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raju4u
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

5. AIX

List all the soft links and hard links

Hi I'm logged in as root in an aix box Which command will list all the soft links and hard links present in the server ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Purpose of <>

Hi, I have read from the book that , <> causes the file to be used as both input as well as output. Can anyone give me the scenario where <> will be useful? Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUESTION1: grep only exact string. QUESTION2: find and replace only exact value with sed

QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1 CAR2_KEY0 CAR2_KEY1 CAR1_KEY10 CURRENT COMMAND LINE: WHERE VARIABLE CAR_NUMBER=1 AND KEY_NUMBER=1 grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo exact xml tag from an exact file

Im stumped on this one. Id like to echo into a .txt file all names for an xml feed in a huge folder. Can that be done?? Id need to echo <name>This name</name> in client.xml files. $path="/mnt/windows/path" echo 'recording names' cd "$path" for names in $path than Im stuck on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: graphicsman
2 Replies
link(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  link(1M)

NAME
link, unlink - link and unlink files and directories SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/link existing-file new-file /usr/xpg4/bin/link existing-file new-file /usr/sbin/unlink file DESCRIPTION
The link and unlink commands link and unlink files and directories. Only super-users can use these commands on directories. Use link to create a new file that points to an existing file. The existing-file and new-file operands specify the existing file and newly-created files. See OPERANDS. link and unlink directly invoke the link(2) and unlink(2) system calls, performing exactly what they are told to do and abandoning all error checking. This differs from the ln(1) command. See ln(1). While linked files and directories can be removed using unlink, it is safer to use rm(1) and rmdir(1) instead. See rm(1) and rmdir(1). /usr/xpg4/bin/link If the existing file being hard linked is itself a symbolic link, then the newly created file (new-file) will be a hard link to the file referenced by the symbolic link, not to the symbolic link object itself (existing-file). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: existing-file Specifies the name of the existing file to be linked. file Specifies the name of the file to be unlinked. new-file Specifies the name of newly created (linked) file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of link: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/link +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ln(1), rm(1), link(2), unlink(2), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2002 link(1M)