Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 2 carriage return within a record Post 302548274 by agathaeleanor on Thursday 18th of August 2011 02:41:02 AM
Old 08-18-2011
Yea, zaxxon. I have tested with your code also.
It works with sample file, but not with my actual file.

Modified to be

Code:
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F\| 'NF<16 {l=l? l OFS $0: l $0; next} l {print l} 1 ' OFS=":::" KP_IU_KP_FT_KP_VALUE.txt

It chopped off all the records with carriage return, left header and one data row which has no carriage return.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture carriage return.

I try to test the carriage return in a variable. $ LENGTH=`expr $VARIABLE : ".*"` will return the length of the variable. But this doesn't work if $VARIABLE has zero length. Any help will be well appreciated. Thanks in advance. Giovanni (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Carriage return to create one record

I have a file with multiple records in it and want to create a single record by removing all the carriage returns, is there a sed command or another command that will easily allow this to happen. current layout 813209A 813273C 812272B expected result 813209A813273C812272B previously I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dont want carriage return

I have observed with print & echo, they produce carriage return <CR> or newline, after they display string next to them. Is there anyway to avoide these <CR> after the intended string is displayed? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

carriage return and linefeed

hi can anyone please tell me the difference between carriage return, linefeed and newline ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfi8er
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost carriage return when assign

Hello . Now i have a different problem, lost "carriage return" when assigning a variable. The assignation is done in a peculair way but its ok. The variable "v_tmp" have spaces and carriage return. Its created with v_tmp=`echo $i | awk '.........'` And the assignation where i lost all the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: trutoman
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return in a record

Hi all gurus, I need help in removing carriage return existed within a record delimited by pipe <|>. Sample: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Test ing2|Remarks2 A_03|Test3|Testing3| Remarks3 Desire output: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Testing2|Remarks2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search_Replace with a Carriage Return

Hey folks, I've been working on this for some time. Seems simple, but I'm stumped. I need the following data format: New_York:Commercial Geology Geophysics Petrophysics Production_Engineering Reservoir_Engineering Pasadena:Commercial ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Carriage return ksh

Hello, How do i usecarriage return in ksh. I want to do an echo "bla bla" and another echo "bla bla" will appear and replace the first echo on screen. I tried: until ; do echo "bla bla \r" done please advice. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute \n with carriage return

Hello all, I've a flat file in the following format: AB\001\CDED\001\ABC\001\nEG\001\HIJF\001\EFG\001\nHI\003\HIUL\003\HIJ\003 And I want to substitute \n with the carriage return. Any help is appreciated! Regards, - Seth (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove carriage return

I need to remove the carriage return comes inbetween the record. Need to have CR only at the end. I used the below command. tr -d '\n' < filewithcarriagereturns > filewithoutcarriagereturns But its removing all the CR and giving one line output. Input File: 12345 abcdegh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srvn_saru
11 Replies
env(1)								   User Commands							    env(1)

NAME
env - set environment for command invocation SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/env [-i | -] [name=value]... [utility [arg... ]] /usr/xpg4/bin/env [-i | -] [name=value]... [utility [arg... ]] DESCRIPTION
The env utility obtains the current environment, modifies it according to its arguments, then invokes the utility named by the utility op- erand with the modified environment. Optional arguments are passed to utility. If no utility operand is specified, the resulting environment is written to the standard output, with one name=value pair per line. /usr/bin If env executes commands with arguments, it uses the default shell /usr/bin/sh (see sh(1)). /usr/xpg4/bin If env executes commands with arguments, it uses /usr/xpg4/bin/sh (see ksh(1)). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -i | - Ignores the environment that would otherwise be inherited from the current shell. Restricts the environment for utility to that specified by the arguments. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: name=value Arguments of the form name=value modify the execution environment, and are placed into the inherited environment before utility is invoked. utility The name of the utility to be invoked. If utility names any of the special shell built-in utilities, the results are unde- fined. arg A string to pass as an argument for the invoked utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Invoking utilities with new PATH values The following utility: example% env -i PATH=/mybin mygrep xyz myfile invokes the utility mygrep with a new PATH value as the only entry in its environment. In this case, PATH is used to locate mygrep, which then must reside in /mybin. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of env: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. PATH Determine the location of the utility. If PATH is specified as a name=value operand to env, the value given shall be used in the search for utility. EXIT STATUS
If utility is invoked, the exit status of env is the exit status of utility. Otherwise, the env utility returns one of the following exit values: 0 Successful completion. 1-125 An error occurred. 126 utility was found but could not be invoked. 127 utility could not be found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), exec(2), profile(4), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Jan 2002 env(1)