Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep and exit
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep and exit Post 302547918 by chinuku on Wednesday 17th of August 2011 03:05:12 AM
Old 08-17-2011
grep and exit

I have a scenario, where i need to grep for the information and then exit.

i have to grep for "import done" and "bye" from success.log and then update a file with success if these words are present and failure if they are not present.

can any one help with this scenario?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies

2. Programming

exit(0) versus exit(1)

What is the difference between using exit(0) and exit(1) to exit a program? Which should I use? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep usage - exit after first occurrence

Hi, Is there any way of using grep (this may be done in awk, not sure?) that I can stop grep'n a file once I have found the first occurrence of my search string. Looking through grep man pages -q will exit without printing the lines after the first match, but I need the output. I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using exit status of GREP to proceed

Hi I have a script that carries out a "grep" command, and displays the output on screen. What I need to do is utilise the exit status of this grep, so that, for example, if it returns no entries, it asks the user if they want to set up a new user, and if the grep returns an entry, it states... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Great Uncle Kip
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to grep the first few lines of a continuos script, and exit the script anyidea

Hi. I am trying to extract the output of the first few lines of a continuos sh script. The when i run it, i wont to grep the the first 20 lines of it for an entry and basically do a crtl z out of it or to that effect, and output the results to a text file. I basically want to script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: k00061804
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit status of grep

I am trying to get the exit status of grep and test a condition with it, But it does not seem to be working as expected since i am doing something wrong apparently as per grep help Exit status is 0 if match, 1 if no match, and 2 if trouble. My problem is something like this templine - a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep sql error in shell script and exit the script?

I need help in the following script. I want to grep the sql errors insert into the error table and exit the shell script if there is any error, otherwise keep running the scripts. Here is my script #!/bin/csh -f source .orapass set user = $USER set pass = $PASS cd /opt/data/scripts echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allinshell99
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with exit, grep, temporary files, awk

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I do not understand how/why the following code is used. Please do not simply refer me to the man pages since I have already reviewed them extensively. Thank you. exit 2 , exit 3, exit 0 I understand the basics of why the exit... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BartleDoo
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need the difference between exit 1 & exit 7

Hi In one of the script I am seeing some thing like exit 7,exit 1,exit 2,exit 3,exit 9,exit6.What is the difference between all of this exit.Can anyone help here please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Question Grep and exit status

Im being forced to write in perl. I prefer KSH or Expect, so I suppose its time to become more fluent with perl. I have the following problem. I want to loop through Filea and check that each line in Filea is resident in Fileb. Filea contents two four six eight houseboat Fileb... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)