Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Clean console output routed to a file Post 302547754 by eddyq on Tuesday 16th of August 2011 05:39:40 PM
Old 08-16-2011
They are real.

---------- Post updated at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:40 PM ----------

The reason you see the ascii representation in my example is because that is what vi displays when it reads the control characters.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disable routed daemon at boot time????

I'm new to UNIX.... I'm running SCO UNIX and would like to disable routed daemon from being start at boot time. How should I do this????? Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrivas
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell: Clean Display of stored procedure's output

Environment: Sun UNIX Language: Bourne Shell I have the following script and it works fine. Unfortunately, from user's perspective, it looks very messy because the user is able to see the output of the process caused by the print command. Is there a better way to overcome it? Here's the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: totziens
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

routing kill output from console to file

Hi , I am using the following command kill -3 pid ----which will return the thread dump. I want redirect this to file. I tried like the following two ways. kill -3 9843 >> srini.log kill -3 9852 >> srini 2>&1 But those two cases are failed :mad: pls let me knwo is there any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivsa
2 Replies

4. AIX

All output at console and in a file at same time ?

I have several backup scripts I am improving which involves mksysb, savevg and tar. Is there a way to have the output of any command sent to the standard output as usual (terminal) and at the same time, send a copy of it all into a file ? Normal outputs and error outputs. Even if I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Outbound file will be routed to new server

Hi, ---------- Post updated at 04:12 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:09 AM ---------- This is the scripts.. Date=`date +"%m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S "` echo "Run on $Date" echo "Run on $Date" >&2 # Setting Variables PassDir=$PS_HOME/autosys/pass # Location of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonja
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to both console and to a file

Hi All, Is there a way in Bash we can redirection some output to both console and the file at the same time. ~Parag (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the output of a cvs command to a file as well as the console.

Hi can anyone tell me how to redirect the ouput of a cvs command to a file as well as the console? i tried using cvs add <filename> | tee logFile cvs add <filename> 2>logFile 2>&1 All i could get is only on console or on file. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitag2010
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Shell/Perl(?)] Prepending timestamps to console output & writing results to a file

I do a lot of TSM work and I embarked on what I thought would be an easy task, and I'd be very happy for any input to save the pounding my keyboard is receiving :] By default, the output of TSM's console has no timestamping, making it hard to sort through accurately. This puts my console into... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect an output from a script to a file and display it at a console simultaneously

Hi, I'd like to redirect the STDOUT output from my script to a file and simultaneously display it at a console. I've tried this command: myscript.sh | tail -f However, it doesn't end after the script finishes running I've also tried this: myscript.sh | tee ~/results.txt But it writes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print Error in Console and both Error & Output in Log file - UNIX

I am writing a shell script with 2 run time arguments. During the execution if i got any error, then it needs to redirected to a error file and in console. Also both error and output to be redirected to a log file. But i am facing the below error. #! /bin/sh errExit () { errMsg=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
1 Replies
OD(1)                                                              User Commands                                                             OD(1)

NAME
od - dump files in octal and other formats SYNOPSIS
od [OPTION]... [FILE]... od [-abcdfilosx]... [FILE] [[+]OFFSET[.][b]] od --traditional [OPTION]... [FILE] [[+]OFFSET[.][b] [+][LABEL][.][b]] DESCRIPTION
Write an unambiguous representation, octal bytes by default, of FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE argument, concatenate them in the listed order to form the input. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. If first and second call formats both apply, the second format is assumed if the last operand begins with + or (if there are 2 operands) a digit. An OFFSET operand means -j OFFSET. LABEL is the pseudo-address at first byte printed, incremented when dump is progressing. For OFFSET and LABEL, a 0x or 0X prefix indicates hexadecimal; suffixes may be . for octal and b for multiply by 512. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -A, --address-radix=RADIX output format for file offsets; RADIX is one of [doxn], for Decimal, Octal, Hex or None --endian={big|little} swap input bytes according the specified order -j, --skip-bytes=BYTES skip BYTES input bytes first -N, --read-bytes=BYTES limit dump to BYTES input bytes -S BYTES, --strings[=BYTES] output strings of at least BYTES graphic chars; 3 is implied when BYTES is not specified -t, --format=TYPE select output format or formats -v, --output-duplicates do not use * to mark line suppression -w[BYTES], --width[=BYTES] output BYTES bytes per output line; 32 is implied when BYTES is not specified --traditional accept arguments in third form above --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Traditional format specifications may be intermixed; they accumulate: -a same as -t a, select named characters, ignoring high-order bit -b same as -t o1, select octal bytes -c same as -t c, select printable characters or backslash escapes -d same as -t u2, select unsigned decimal 2-byte units -f same as -t fF, select floats -i same as -t dI, select decimal ints -l same as -t dL, select decimal longs -o same as -t o2, select octal 2-byte units -s same as -t d2, select decimal 2-byte units -x same as -t x2, select hexadecimal 2-byte units TYPE is made up of one or more of these specifications: a named character, ignoring high-order bit c printable character or backslash escape d[SIZE] signed decimal, SIZE bytes per integer f[SIZE] floating point, SIZE bytes per float o[SIZE] octal, SIZE bytes per integer u[SIZE] unsigned decimal, SIZE bytes per integer x[SIZE] hexadecimal, SIZE bytes per integer SIZE is a number. For TYPE in [doux], SIZE may also be C for sizeof(char), S for sizeof(short), I for sizeof(int) or L for sizeof(long). If TYPE is f, SIZE may also be F for sizeof(float), D for sizeof(double) or L for sizeof(long double). Adding a z suffix to any type displays printable characters at the end of each output line. BYTES is hex with 0x or 0X prefix, and may have a multiplier suffix: b 512 KB 1000 K 1024 MB 1000*1000 M 1024*1024 and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. EXAMPLES
od -A x -t x1z -v Display hexdump format output od -A o -t oS -w16 The default output format used by od AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report od translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/od> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) od invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 OD(1)