Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Selecting Specific Columns and Insert the delimiter TAB Post 302547428 by filter on Monday 15th of August 2011 03:39:24 PM
Old 08-15-2011
Hi birei,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

After using the "Split" function and then while saving the columns into an array,
I am struggling how to eliminate the first 231 lines and the last 4 lines, because these are the header information and footer information.

Code:
@array = <F>;
close F

my @fields;

foreach (@array) {

$line = $_;
@fields = split (/\|/, $line);

print OUT join( "\t", @fields[1, 3 .. 7, 10 ..13, 15 .. 33, 36, 37, 40, 55 .. 66, 68 .. 103, 104, 105 .. 107, 109 .. 128, 130 .. 137, 187] ), "\n";
}
close OUT;

how do I use the array splice while saving the column values into the array ?

Code:
@array[231..$#array-4];

Could someone please help me out to eliminate the Header and footer information while saving the data into the array ?

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a tab delimiter file

I have a 30 column tab delimited record file. I need to extract the first 10column. The following command to cut was not working cut -f 1-10 -d "\t" filename. Could any one keep on this . Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod.thayil
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to differentiate columns of a file in perl with no specific delimiter

Hi everybody, This time I am having one issue in perl. I have to create comma separated file using the following type of information. The problem is the columns do not have any specific delimiter. So while using split I am getting different value. Some where it is space(S) and some where it is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amiya Rath
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

append data in a file by using tab delimiter

Hi, I need to append the data in to a file by using tab delimiter. eg: echo "Data1" >> filename.txt echo "\t" >> filename.txt (its not working) echo "Data2" >> filename.txt. the result sould be like this. Data1 Data2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharmila_P
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to search delimiter tab in a line and replace it

hi every one plz help me i want to search for a line contains tabspace This is a line The should be changed see the above line is seperated with tab space i want to replace that tab space in to # as This is a line#The should be changed i have tried with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delimiter: Tab or Space?

Hello, Is there a direct command to check if the delimiter in your file is a tab or a space? And how can they be converted from one to another. Thanks, G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting specific 'id's from lines and columns using 'SED' or 'AWK'

Hello experts, I am new to this group and to 'SED' and 'AWK'. I have data (text file) with 5 columns (C_1-5) and 100s of lines (only 10 lines are shown below as an example). I have to find or select only the id numbers (C-1) of specific lines with '90' in the same line (of C_3) AND with '20' in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamskamu
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making a Tab delimiter file to Comma

How can i make a tab delimiter file to a comma delimiter??? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two tab-delimiter files

Hi, I have two files like: file1 chr1 40 chr1 50 chr2 10 chr2 60 file2 chr1 30 chr1 50 chr2 15 chr2 20 and want to get the difference of column 2 when column 1 is the same in both files. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linseyr
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space in specific column among many columns

Hello, I have some problem in inserting the space for the pairs of columns. I have the input file : I used this code below in replacing it using space in specific column (replace space in each two columns) sed -e "s/,/ /2" -e "s/,/ /3" inputfile Output showed : However, I have many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awil
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete and insert columns in a tab delimited file

Hi all , I have a file having 12 columns tab delimited . I need to read this file and remove the column 3 and column 4 and insert a word in column 3 as "AVIALABLE " Is there a way to do this . I am trying like below Thanks DJ cat $FILENAME|awk -F"\t" '{ print $1 "\t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
3 Replies
ARRAY_SHIFT(3)								 1							    ARRAY_SHIFT(3)

array_shift - Shift an element off the beginning of array

SYNOPSIS
mixed array_shift (array &$array) DESCRIPTION
array_shift(3) shifts the first value of the $array off and returns it, shortening the $array by one element and moving everything down. All numerical array keys will be modified to start counting from zero while literal keys won't be touched. Note This function will reset(3) the array pointer of the input array after use. PARAMETERS
o $array - The input array. RETURN VALUES
Returns the shifted value, or NULL if $array is empty or is not an array. EXAMPLES
Example #1 array_shift(3) example <?php $stack = array("orange", "banana", "apple", "raspberry"); $fruit = array_shift($stack); print_r($stack); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => banana [1] => apple [2] => raspberry ) and orange will be assigned to $fruit. SEE ALSO
array_unshift(3), array_push(3), array_pop(3). PHP Documentation Group ARRAY_SHIFT(3)