Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Re: Script Error [syntax error at line] Post 302547248 by anudeepkumar123 on Monday 15th of August 2011 01:42:16 AM
Old 08-15-2011
Re: Script Error [syntax error at line]

Hi ,

I Have Written A Simple Script To Check Greatest Of '2' Number When Execuating The Script I Am Getting The Below Error

SP11[4]: if[ 12 -gt 13]:not found [No such file or directory]
SP11: line 4:syntax error at line 5:'then' unexpexted

And The Program I Have Wrriten For This
Code:
#!bin/ksh
echo "Enter Two Numbers"
read a b
if [$a -gt $b]
then
   echo "$a Is Greater"
else
   echo"$b Is Greater"
fi

Thanks

Last edited by vbe; 08-15-2011 at 09:02 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I got error like...syntax error on line 1, teletype

Hi All, when i executing scripts i got error like: syntax error on line 1, teletype expr: syntax error expr: syntax error expr: syntax error Please advise to me. Note: Yesterday it's working fine, 2day only i got error. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error, need to redo one line in script :(

I have a script that processes a file with two columns (IDs and Idle session times): # cat /tmp/idle-ids.lst user1 2,390 user2 97 user3 93 user4 67 user5 56 user6 33 user7 22 user8 6 user9 2 user10 0 my script works, but has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on shell script : syntax error at line 62: `end of file' unexpected

Hi All, I have written a korn script (code pasted below). It is giving the error while debugging "new.sh: syntax error at line 62: `end of file' unexpected". I have re-written the whole code in VI and explored all help related to this error on this Unix forum and tried it. Somehow, I could... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: schandrakar1
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent: Script.sh: syntax error at line 72: `PROGRESS=$' unexpected

I have written a shell script to Automatically FTP a file. The script runs fine when doing it manually but when I schedule it using a crontab it gives me an error. . . . echo "-----------------Starting File FTP---------------------" >> $PROS_LOAD_LOG echo "open X.XX.XX.XXX" >>... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanhajoy
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ERROR: ./launch_full_backup.sh[18]: Syntax error at line 28 : `else' is not expected.

Help please! :confused: I have the following error with the following file and the emails are not arriving to the email, any idea please? ERROR: ./launch_full_backup.sh: Syntax error at line 28 : `else' is not expected. FECHA=`date +%d%m%y%H%M`... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: villenan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving error: ./ang.ksh[35]: 0403-057 Syntax error at line 116 : `done' is not expected.

Hi All I am quite new to Unix. Following is a shell script that i have written and getting the subject mentioned error. #!/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------------- # File: ang_stdnld.ksh # # Desc: UNIX shell script to extract Store information.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitsinha
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot execute/finish script because of last line syntax error: unexpected end of file/token `done'

first of all I thought the argument DONE is necessary for all scripts that have or begin with do statements which I have on my script, However, I still don't completely understand why I am receiving an error I tried adding another done argument statement but didn't do any good. I appreciate... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf@=NK
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error"syntax error at line 15: `end of file' unexpected"

While i m running below code, it is giving me the error"syntax error at line 15: `end of file' unexpected". Pls let me know what is wrong here..i tried many ways, but no luck dbSID="SWQE" usrname="apps" password="Wrgthrk3" count=0 while do sqlplus $usrname/$password@$dbSID... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
5 Replies

10. BSD

Keep getting error "-bash: ./.profile_z2: line 52: syntax error: unexpected end of file"

#!/bin/bash #-------------------------------------------------------- # Setup prompt # Author Zeeshan Mirza # Data: 06-08-2017 #-------------------------------------------------------- if then . ./.profile_custom_pre fi umask 022 set -o vi export EDITOR=vi export VISUAL=vi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getzeeshan
3 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)