Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Capture stdout from multiple processes Post 302547037 by dvales on Saturday 13th of August 2011 08:28:12 AM
Old 08-13-2011
Agama

Thanks for the quick reply. No I do not need to write to the child stdin. I will give popen a try. I assumed it would behave the same way. You code executes the children serially I will run them in parallel would that make a difference. In any case I will give this a shot I probably will not get to it until Monday, I did not expect such a quick response.

Thanks
Dave.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

not able to capture STDOUT

I am using a third party API to get some real time feed. When I run the command it shows the results properly: etd@mhs-apps5009 $ mamalistenc -m lbm -tport mamaqa -S MLALERTS -s KANA wFinancialStatus Type CTRL-C to exit. (null).MLALERTS.KANA Type: INITIAL Status OK wFinancialStatus |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks__
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to capture STDOut of script in a CGI script?

Hi Perl Experts, I am invoking a shell script thru a perl script and the perl script is cgi script.I need to capture the STDOUT of the shell script in the html page where I am invoking the script .?The shell script takes couple of mintutes to complete its execution .Mean while my html page does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kittu1979
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I capture multiple lines of the status output of a command?

I need to know what the upload speed of an Internet connection. I thought the easiest way to do this would be to transfer a file via FTP to my server using the command: sh-3.2$ ftp -u ftp://username:password@computerdomain/directory/ file_to_be_uploaded Note: My environment allows me to issue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzz1528
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capture child processes and change return values question

Thanks in advance. My environment is Ubuntu 9.04 desktop customized to be a high school classroom server for teaching code development. I have a unique "fake" jail called "lshell" which is very easy to setup and restricts users to commands that I dictate DISALLOWING ANYTHING ELSE. These... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxhats
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect stdin stdout to multiple files

Hi, i know how to a) redirect stdout and stderr to one file, b) and write to two files concurrently with same output using tee command Now, i want to do both the above together. I have a script and it should write both stdout and stderr in one file and also write the same content to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture values using multiple regex patterns

I have to read the file, in each line of file i need to get 2 values using more than one search pattern. ex: <0112 02:12:20 def > /some string/some string||some string||124 i donot have same delimiter in the line, I have to read '0112 02:12:20' which is timestamp, and last field '124' which is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adars1
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple variables assignement (stdout/stderr outputs)

Hi all, I've been looking around for this for a while and can't seem to find a satifactory way to do what I want: I would like to assign the output of stdout to a variable and that of stderr to another one, and this without using temporary files/named pipes. In other words be able to assign... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthalamus
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - Extracting multiple key words from stdout

Hello. From command line, the command zypper info nxclient return a bloc of data : linux local # zypper info nxclient Loading repository data... Reading installed packages... Information for package nxclient: Repository: zypper_local Name: nxclient Version: 3.5.0-7 Arch: x86_64... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capture Multiple Lines Into Variable As Of Standard Output

Hello All, I have the below script and output. cat test.sh #!/bin/bash -x logit() { echo " - ${*}" > ${LOG_FILE} } LOG_FILE=/home/infrmtca/bin/findtest.log VAR=`find . -type f -name "*sql"` logit $VAR Output: cat /home/infrmtca/bin/findtest.log -... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute Multiple Scripts and Capture Log Details

Hi All, I have a requirement to execute multiple scripts (say 4) one after the other in one script and capture log details and error messages in a log file below LOG_FILE= FILE.`date ++"%Y%m%d%H:%M:%S"` Script 1 : File_Checkr.sh Script 2 : Pre_Validation.sh Script 3 : Testing.sh Script... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
12 Replies
LibXML(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       LibXML(3pm)

NAME
XML::SimpleObject::LibXML - Perl extension allowing a simple(r) object representation of an XML::LibXML DOM object. SYNOPSIS
use XML::SimpleObject::LibXML; # Construct with the key/value pairs as argument; this will create its # own XML::LibXML object. my $xmlobj = new XML::SimpleObject(XML => $XML); # ... or construct with the parsed tree as the only argument, having to # create the XML::Parser object separately. my $parser = new XML::LibXML; my $dom = $parser->parse_file($file); # or $parser->parse_string($xml); my $xmlobj = new XML::SimpleObject::LibXML ($dom); my $filesobj = $xmlobj->child("files")->child("file"); $filesobj->name; $filesobj->value; $filesobj->attribute("type"); %attributes = $filesobj->attributes; @children = $filesobj->children; @some_children = $filesobj->children("some"); @children_names = $filesobj->children_names; DESCRIPTION
This is a short and simple class allowing simple object access to a parsed XML::LibXML tree, with methods for fetching children and attributes in as clean a manner as possible. My apologies for further polluting the XML:: space; this is a small and quick module, with easy and compact usage. Some will rightfully question placing another interface over the DOM methods provided by XML::LibXML, but my experience is that people appreciate the total simplicity provided by this module, despite its limitations. USAGE
$xmlobj = new XML::SimpleObject::LibXML($parser->parse_string($XML)) $parser is an XML::LibXML object. After creating $xmlobj, this object can now be used to browse the XML tree with the following methods. $xmlobj->child('NAME') This will return a new XML::SimpleObject::LibXML object using the child element NAME. $xmlobj->children('NAME') Called with an argument NAME, children() will return an array of XML::SimpleObject::LibXML objects of element NAME. Thus, if $xmlobj represents the top-level XML element, 'children' will return an array of all elements directly below the top-level that have the element name NAME. $xmlobj->children Called without arguments, 'children()' will return an array of XML::SimpleObjects::LibXML objects for all children elements of $xmlobj. Unlike XML::SimpleObject, XML::SimpleObject::LibXML retains the order of these children. $xmlobj->children_names This will return an array of all the names of child elements for $xmlobj. You can use this to step through all the children of a given element (see EXAMPLES), although multiple elements of the same name will not be identified. Use 'children()' instead. $xmlobj->value If the element represented by $xmlobj contains any PCDATA, this method will return that text data. $xmlobj->attribute('NAME') This returns the text for an attribute NAME of the XML element represented by $xmlobj. $xmlobj->attributes This returns a hash of key/value pairs for all elements in element $xmlobj. EXAMPLES
Given this XML document: <files> <file type="symlink"> <name>/etc/dosemu.conf</name> <dest>dosemu.conf-drdos703.eval</dest> </file> <file> <name>/etc/passwd</name> <bytes>948</bytes> </file> </files> You can then interpret the tree as follows: my $parser = new XML::LibXML; my $xmlobj = new XML::SimpleObject::LibXML ($parser->parse_string($XML)); print "Files: "; foreach my $element ($xmlobj->child("files")->children("file")) { print " filename: " . $element->child("name")->value . " "; if ($element->attribute("type")) { print " type: " . $element->attribute("type") . " "; } print " bytes: " . $element->child("bytes")->value . " "; } This will output: Files: filename: /etc/dosemu.conf type: symlink bytes: 20 filename: /etc/passwd bytes: 948 You can use 'children()' without arguments to step through all children of a given element: my $filesobj = $xmlobj->child("files")->child("file"); foreach my $child ($filesobj->children) { print "child: ", $child->name, ": ", $child->value, " "; } For the tree above, this will output: child: bytes: 20 child: dest: dosemu.conf-drdos703.eval child: name: /etc/dosemu.conf Using 'children_names()', you can step through all children for a given element: my $filesobj = $xmlobj->child("files"); foreach my $childname ($filesobj->children_names) { print "$childname has children: "; print join (", ", $filesobj->child($childname)->children_names), " "; } This will print: file has children: bytes, dest, name By always using 'children()', you can step through each child object, retrieving them with 'child()'. AUTHOR
Dan Brian <dan@brians.org> SEE ALSO
perl(1), XML::SimpleObject, XML::Parser, XML::LibXML. perl v5.10.1 2010-01-03 LibXML(3pm)