Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Background process, return code and pid. Post 302547012 by RECrerar on Saturday 13th of August 2011 05:30:43 AM
Old 08-13-2011
It was be belief that the timeout only works if the ssh has properly connected, not got stuck somehow. If I am wrong please do correct me.

@jim mcnamara thanks for the suggestion but this is for a fix that will go out to multiple different systems an I need a fix that will be our code rather than just ours an so I don't think changnig the .profile file is a possibility.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PID of process started in background??

I am having a problem getting the PID of a process I start in the background is a csh. In tcsh and sh it's simple $! give it to you But in csh this just returns Variable syntax From the man page it should work but it doesn't???? Any help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stilllooking
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process return code

Hi I have the following piece of code that is calling another child process archive.ksh in the background while read file; do file_name=`ls $file`; ksh archive.ksh $file_name &; done < $indirect_file The problem is, indirect_file may contain anwhere from 2 to 20 different... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include RETURN KEY with Background process "&" in Shell Script

Hello All, I am a newbie in Shell script programming, and maybe you can help me with my query. I need to write a shell script (mntServer.ksh) that will start a background process and also to be able to run another script. The mntServer.ksh script contains: #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return code of background process

Hi, I have a process that I run in the background that looks like this ${BASEDIR}/ksh/sqler.ksh ${compnames003} & and I would like to get the return code of the sqler.ksh script. so my code is like this ${BASEDIR}/ksh/sqler.ksh ${compnames003} & retcode=$? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

does the pid of background process show in /proc?

Hi all, I'm reading <advanced bash scripting> and there is a example to kill a background process in a limited time,as shown below: #! /bin/bash #set -n TIMEOUT=$1 count=0 hanging_jobs & { while ((count < TIMEOUT));do eval ' && ((count = TIMEOUT))' ((count++)) sleep 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Using "$!" to get the PID of the Last Ran Background Process

Hello All, I was looking into creating a script that would be used only to start a Daemon and create a lock file... F.Y.I. It's for Nagios' NRPE Daemon Plugin... Anyway when I run the command to start the Daemon (below): /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -d And... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Catch exit code of specific background process

Hi all, i hava a specific backgroud process. I have de PID of this process. At some time, the process finish his job, is there any way to catch the exit code? I use "echo $?" normally for commands. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xedrox
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the return code from background process

Hi All, I was out not working on unix from quite sometime and came back recently. I would really appreciate a help on one of the issue I am facing.... I am trying to kick off the CodeNameProcess.sh in PARALLEL for all the available codes. The script runs fine in parallel. Let say there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass return value of a function in background process

Hi, I have created a function f1 defined in script A.sh .I have called this function in background . But I want to use its return value for another function f2 in script A.sh. I tried declaring it as a global variable, yet it always returns the status as 0. Is there any way with which I can get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return from background process and check if it is running or not?

Hi Team, i am executing 3 scripts in background from 1 script and i want to send a message once the script gets completed.these scripts usually takes 1 hr to complete. My sample script is below, Vi abc.sh sh /opt/data/Split_1.sh & sh /opt/data/Split_2.sh & sh /opt/data/Split_3.sh & ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
3 Replies
ptree(1)																  ptree(1)

NAME
ptree - print process trees SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/ptree [-a] [-c] [-z zone] [pid | user] ... ptree prints the process trees containing the specified pids or users, with child processes indented from their respective parent pro- cesses. An argument of all digits is taken to be a process-id, otherwise it is assumed to be a user login name. The default is all pro- cesses. The following options are supported: -a All. Print all processes, including children of process 0. -c Contracts. Print process contract memberships in addition to parent-child relationships. See process(4). This option implies the -a option. -z zone Zones. Print only processes in the specified zone. Each zone ID can be specified as either a zone name or a numerical zone ID. This option is only useful when executed in the global zone. The following operands are supported: pid Process-id or a list of process-ids. ptree also accepts /proc/nnn as a process-id, so the shell expansion /proc/* can be used to specify all processes in the system. user Username or list of usernames. Processes whose effective user IDs match those given are displayed. Example 1: Using ptree The following example prints the process tree (including children of process 0) for processes which match the command name ssh: $ ptree -a `pgrep ssh` 1 /sbin/init 100909 /usr/lib/ssh/sshd 569150 /usr/lib/ssh/sshd 569157 /usr/lib/ssh/sshd 569159 -ksh 569171 bash 569173 /bin/ksh 569193 bash The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. non-zero An error has occurred. /proc/* process files See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The human readable output is Unstable. The options are Evolving. gcore(1), ldd(1), pargs(1), pgrep(1), pkill(1), plimit(1), pmap(1), preap(1), proc(1), ps(1), ppgsz(1), pwd(1), rlogin(1), time(1), truss(1), wait(1), fcntl(2), fstat(2), setuid(2), dlopen(3C), signal.h(3HEAD), core(4), proc(4), process(4), attributes(5), zones(5) 11 Oct 2005 ptree(1)