Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting return value not coming as expected Post 302546834 by yazu on Friday 12th of August 2011 09:24:49 AM
Old 08-12-2011
Anyway this question about COBOL programming, not about shell or AIX. How we can help you if your script runs without problems on the command line and with problems as a subprocess (if I understand right) from your COBOL program?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Sendmail help on RH 9 - going out but NOT coming in..

Is there not one of us who can help here?? I'm really letting down my pants here - not sure what's going on but if you could foreward this link to a group you may know I would greatly appreciate it. I'm getting this error: May 30 22:18:35 MYSERVERNAME sendmail: j4V2HWka015549: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angelohl
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

syslog not coming up

Hi All, I have a whole root zone, tsesbd02-zesbx01. On this zone, syslog service is not coming up. While it is working good on Global zone. Below are commands from tsesbd02-zesbx01 root@tsesbd02-zesbx01:/# svcs -a svc:/system/system-log:default svcs: -a ignored when used with arguments.... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

coming out from vi editior

Hi Folks, I have opened a log file through Vi editor in putty itself and I was searching for a pattern in logs , let say 'ABCD' /abcd then I want to come out from vi editor, Please advise what is the command to come out from unix editor..! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Result of Catching Return Value from Sub_script.sh to Main_script.sh is not as Expected

Main_script.sh #! /bin/sh ./Sub_script.sh rc=$? echo "Return code from Sub_script.sh : $rc" if ; then echo "$rc = 991" echo "" exit 1 elif ; then echo "$rc = 992" echo "" exit 1 elif ; then echo "$rc = 0" echo "" exit 1 fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duddukuri
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why my find return not expected?

root@intel_5500_server:~# find / -name bin -o -name sbin /usr/bin /usr/lib64/pm-utils/bin /usr/lib64/rpm/bin /usr/sbin /bin /sbin root@intel_5500_server:~# which ovs-pki /usr/bin/ovs-pki why below command return nothing root@intel_5500_server:~# find /... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
8 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

Notifications not coming through

Issue: I'm not receiving notifications I can succesfully receive an e-mail if I do this on the command line: /usr/bin/mail -s "NAGIOS HOST ALERT on $HOSTNAME$" rgouette@butlerbros.com but, my command.cfg configuration below, refuses to send an e-mail when I set a service to a critical... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgouette
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Not sure where the problem is. I can run the script without any issue using the following command. . /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh But it fails with the below error when I try it this way /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh: line 65: return: can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svajhala
1 Replies
tabs(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   tabs(1)

NAME
tabs - set tabs on a terminal SYNOPSIS
tabs [-v[n]] [-ahuUV] file... DESCRIPTION
The tabs program clears and sets tab-stops on the terminal. This uses the terminfo clear_all_tabs and set_tab capabilities. If either is absent, tabs is unable to clear/set tab-stops. The terminal should be configured to use hard tabs, e.g., stty tab0 OPTIONS
General Options -Tname Tell tabs which terminal type to use. If this option is not given, tabs will use the $TERM environment variable. If that is not set, it will use the ansi+tabs entry. -d The debugging option shows a ruler line, followed by two data lines. The first data line shows the expected tab-stops marked with asterisks. The second data line shows the actual tab-stops, marked with asterisks. -n This option tells tabs to check the options and run any debugging option, but not to modify the terminal settings. The tabs program processes a single list of tab stops. The last option to be processed which defines a list is the one that determines the list to be processed. Implicit Lists Use a single number as an option, e.g., "-5" to set tabs at the given interval (in this case 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, etc.). Tabs are repeated up to the right margin of the screen. Use "-0" to clear all tabs. Use "-8" to set tabs to the standard interval. Explicit Lists An explicit list can be defined after the options (this does not use a "-"). The values in the list must be in increasing numeric order, and greater than zero. They are separated by a comma or a blank, for example, tabs 1,6,11,16,21 tabs 1 6 11 16 21 Use a '+' to treat a number as an increment relative to the previous value, e.g., tabs 1,+5,+5,+5,+5 which is equivalent to the 1,6,11,16,21 example. Predefined Tab-Stops X/Open defines several predefined lists of tab stops. -a Assembler, IBM S/370, first format -a2 Assembler, IBM S/370, second format -c COBOL, normal format -c2 COBOL compact format -c3 COBOL compact format extended -f FORTRAN -p PL/I -s SNOBOL -u UNIVAC 1100 Assembler PORTABILITY
X/Open describes a +m option, to set a terminal's left-margin. Very few of the entries in the terminal database provide this capability. The -d (debug) and -n (no-op) options are extensions not provided by other implementations. Documentation for other implementations states that there is a limit on the number of tab stops. While some terminals may not accept an arbitrary number of tab stops, this implementation will attempt to set tab stops up to the right margin of the screen, if the given list happens to be that long. SEE ALSO
tset(1), infocmp(1M), curses(3X), terminfo(5). This describes ncurses version 5.9 (patch 20130511). tabs(1)