Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: can't understand!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting can't understand! Post 302546751 by yazu on Friday 12th of August 2011 04:29:05 AM
Old 08-12-2011
Code:
<< EOF 2>>

It's definitely a spaceship (UFO) with the name "EOF 2" )))
Ok:
${SERVER_DATABASE} - a command, maybe with some options. It was saved in the variable SERVER_DATABASE,
-b - option. I think it takes a string as an argument,
<< EOF - start of here document. The next lines in the scirpt before the line with the only word EOF will be passed as argument to $SERVER_DATABASE command,
2>>/dev/null - no much meaning. It should be 2>/dev/null - redirect stderr to nothing to get rid of error messages on the terminal.

Last edited by yazu; 08-12-2011 at 05:40 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't understand

how i can download this game n start it :S (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BoyArcher
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't understand this at all.

Ok, i've been trying to write some shell scripts. nothing challenging, but just automating All of the tutorials i read say to start the file with #!/bin/bash or whatever your path to bash is. So i do it, and all of my scripts error out saying ./nameofscript:command not found when i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: severndigital
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't quite understand this regex

The following regular expression is found in a book I have been reading. It apparently can be used on an /etc/passwd file to find any accounts which have no password. I am having a heck of a time seeing how it works, and I was wondering if someone could run me through it. I will take a stab at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kermit
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Understand PATH

I'm new to unix so sorry for the confusing question. I installed OPENSSL following these instructions. Installing OpenSSH Packages - SPARC and Intel/Solaris 8 I need to run this command, "openssl req -newkey rsa:1024 -keyout server.pf.key -out req.pem" from a keyreq folder I created. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kjons76
13 Replies

5. Programming

Trying to understand kernel

Hi all, I'm a user and a programmer of UNIX based systems (mainly FreeBSD and Linux). I have never programmed or tried to fully understand the kernel layer. I haven't a special propouse for learning it, but I'd like to. Can anyone suggest me books, documentation or examples that may help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help can't understand the code

Hi All, Good day, i'm just wondering what is the meaning of this code? COUNT_EXTRACTED_FILE=`${ECHO_CMD} "${SE_IN_PATH}${SE_IN_FILE}" | ${AWK_CMD} -F"__" '{print $2}'` Thanks, -niks(newbie) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to understand IFS

Hi , i am in my initial learning phase of unix. i was going thru the function part. below is the example which was there but i am not able to understand logic and the use of IFS(internal field separator) lspath() { OLDIFS="$IFS" IFS=: for DIR in $PATH ; do echo $DIR ; done IFS="$OLDIFS"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

understand sed

cat teledir.txt jai sharma 25853670 chanchal singhvi 9831545629 anil aggarwal 9830263298 shyam saksena 23217847 lalit chowdury 26688726 If i use the below command , it is giving me the output with "," in between two name. how ? and also i would like to know the reason for the space used in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
1 Replies
RSH(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RSH(1)

NAME
rsh -- remote shell SYNOPSIS
rsh [-Kdnx] [-l username] host [command] DESCRIPTION
Rsh executes command on host. Rsh copies its standard input to the remote command, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error. Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command; rsh normally termi- nates when the remote command does. The options are as follows: -d The -d option turns on socket debugging (using setsockopt(2)) on the TCP sockets used for communication with the remote host. -l By default, the remote username is the same as the local username. The -l option allows the remote name to be specified. -n The -n option redirects input from the special device /dev/null (see the BUGS section of this manual page). If no command is specified, you will be logged in on the remote host using rlogin(1). Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted metacharacters are interpreted on the remote machine. For example, the command rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile appends the remote file remotefile to the local file localfile, while rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" other_remotefile appends remotefile to other_remotefile. FILES
/etc/hosts SEE ALSO
rlogin(1), HISTORY
The rsh command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
If you are using csh(1) and put a rsh in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it will block even if no reads are posted by the remote command. If no input is desired you should redirect the input of rsh to /dev/null using the -n option. You cannot run an interactive command (like rogue(6) or vi(1)) using rsh; use rlogin(1) instead. Stop signals stop the local rsh process only; this is arguably wrong, but currently hard to fix for reasons too complicated to explain here. Linux NetKit (0.17) August 15, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)