Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh(!93) for loop with wildcard and empty directory Post 302546482 by spr00t on Thursday 11th of August 2011 09:53:34 AM
Old 08-11-2011
ksh(!93) for loop with wildcard and empty directory

I'm sure this is by design, but using something like
Code:
for f in dir/*
do echo $f
done

produces unexpected (to me) results if run against an empty directory. I'd have expected it to not execute the loop, but it actually calls it with f set to 'dir/*'.

Now I know that I'm trying to protect against it:
Code:
for f in dir/*
do [ -f $f ] && #do something

I've got paranoid though, that if a file is created between the for statement and the file test, the test will succeed and the loop will execute with f = 'dir/*'. This is likely to cause interesting results Smilie

The only solution I can think of is checking the value of f:
Code:
[ "$f" != "dir/*" ] && #do something

but it seems so inelegant, is there a better way?

NB Using an early version of ksh (88?) on Solaris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rmdir a non-empty directory.

hi, i understand that rmdir will only remove direcotry when it is empty but are there options which will also remove non-empty directories? i went to man rmdir but only find the option -p? i am on solaris. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting the right directory as non-empty

Hi guys, I've been trying to get this part of my script to work for ages and now it's getting me annoyed!! So i thought a fresh group of eyes could see where i'm going wrong! The idea is getting a directory and all its files moved to a temp folder, but similar to the rm -ir command where it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: olimiles
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I tell if a directory is empty?

To see if a directory is has anything in it, I do this: if ; then # do something fi But surely there is a more easy-to-read and elegant way. Isn't there? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenJackson
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check empty directory !!!

I need to check if a directory is empty using an if condition in the pseudocode below if ; then else although i looked at a few forums on this topic, I left feeling a little unclear and i could not use the command successfully what can i substitute in the if conditon above,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allah_waris45
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

WildCard serach for files in a directory

Hi i have a requirement to search for all files in a directory. the files will start as file1_*,file2_*,file3_* where the wild card character is a timestamp. so on a particular day i may get files like file1_1103120042 file1_1102010345 file2_1101093423 file3_1103120042... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sgiri1
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change directory with wildcard in FTP server

Hi , I am looking for a command to change directory in FTP server with wildcard specified. Basically this is what i am trying. localserver# ftp remoteserver ftp> ls 41000_42000 42000_43000 ftp> cd 41* 550 CWD failed. '41*' : no such file or directory. Could anyone please let me know... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thavamaniraja
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with wildcard directory

I want to look if there is any file inside a specific directory which was modified before 2 days. I wrote the find command, but the problem is there is one directory and that is a random directory generated by unix, so not sure on how to code for that on the find command. find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srini0603
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard search in if loop

Practice folder contains many files and im interested in extracting file which starts with abc* ghi* xyz* . I need to do variety of operations for different files. if file starts with xyz* then i need to move to some destination otherwise some other destination. I am not able to make wildcard... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaar1986
15 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Waiting for wildcard filename to exists in while loop

Hi Experts, We are developing a script which will wait for the trigger file(with datetime in the trigger file name). But the problem is when I use 'while' loop to wait for the file, it waits for the filename with wilcard in it that is wait for 'Trigger*.done' file. :eek: Below is the script ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
4 Replies
mfontset_lookup(3m17n)						 The m17n Library					    mfontset_lookup(3m17n)

NAME
mfontset_lookup - Lookup a fontset. SYNOPSIS
MPlist * mfontset_lookup (MFontset * fontset, MSymbol script, MSymbol language, MSymbol charset) DESCRIPTION
Lookup a fontset. The mfontset_lookup() function lookups fontset and returns a plist that describes the contents of fontset corresponding to the specified script, language, and charset. If script is Mt, keys of the returned plist are script name symbols for which some fonts are specified and values are NULL. If script is a script name symbol, the returned plist is decided by language. o If language is Mt, keys of the plist are language name symbols for which some fonts are specified and values are NULL. A key may be Mt which means some fallback fonts are specified for the script. o If language is a language name symbol, the plist is a FONT-GROUP for the specified script and language. FONT-GROUP is a plist whose keys are FLT (FontLayoutTable) name symbols (Mt if no FLT is associated with the font) and values are pointers to MFont. o If language is Mnil, the plist is fallback FONT-GROUP for the script. If script is Mnil, the returned plist is decided as below. o If charset is Mt, keys of the returned plist are charset name symbols for which some fonts are specified and values are NULL. o If charset is a charset name symbol, the plist is a FONT-GROUP for the charset. o If charset is Mnil, the plist is a fallback FONT-GROUP. RETURN VALUE
It returns a plist describing the contents of a fontset. The plist should be freed by m17n_object_unref(). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA) Copyright (C) 2001-2011 National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html>. Version 1.6.2 12 Jan 2011 mfontset_lookup(3m17n)