Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command to update last line.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command to update last line. Post 302546346 by shinny on Thursday 11th of August 2011 03:38:22 AM
Old 08-11-2011
Thanks zaxxon and alister,

I tried the code, in the output I could see the last line is gone.. Also I think in this logic we are counting the lines in the file and then replacing it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also I have the count, I don't want to traverse to count the lines. but I need to replace the record count with entirely different number. I mean the count which is in the last line, I hv to replace exactly that without counting. Please suggest.
thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Update a particular line in a file

Hii to all.. I have a file stud.lst bash-3.1$ cat stud.lst NO NMAE DOB 10 +2 BE AVG 075 syam saksena 12/12/55 500 398 550 48.26 099 sachin 11/05/47 450 500 600 51.66 300 mohan kumar 19/04/43 500 600 700 60.00 100 john 12/12/52 800 750 700 75.00 125... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Python update already printed line.

Hi. I have a basic script in python that outputs like this.. $ ./test.py 1% 2% 3% 4% 5% 6% 7% 8% 9% 10% ... But how can I make it so the output stays in 1 line? So it would look something like this.. $ ./test.py 10% (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find spaces and update values on the same line.

Dear all, I'm trying to write a script where: A file contains more or less 2000 lines. To some of those lines, in a specific position, let's say 89-92 there are spaces. So, this script should find these spaces on specific position and update a value (from 2 to 1) to another position of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paniklas
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update single line

Hi everyone i need one help don't know whether it is simple or difficult but not able to solve it. here is the problem suppose my code is time_def=3 r=0 while ] do echo "time left is $time_def " ((time_def=time_def-1)) done and the output is time left is 3 time left... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the word from pattern line and update in subsequent lines till next pattern line reached

Hi, I have got the below requirement. please suggest. I have a file like, Processing Item is: /data/ing/cfg2/abc.txt /data/ing/cfg3/bgc.txt Processing Item is: /data/cmd/for2/ght.txt /data/kernal/config.klgt.txt I want to process the above file to get the output file like, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert new line does not update file

Hi all, I have a file called "text.cpp" with the first line of "1" afterwards I tried in Ubuntu to type the following sed '12iasdasdasdasdsad' test.cpp > output.txt however when I tried to see the result of output.txt #cat output.txt 1 why is the line 12 is not updated to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: peuceul
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and update line in xml file

Hi, I have a xml file that I need to modify 1 line to change some value from 2 to 10 (or any number). Sample input: <!-- some text here> . . . <message:test name="ryan"> <message:sample-channel charset="UTF-8" max-value="2" wait="20"> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: brichigo
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use awk to update only 2nd line

I have a file and need to update the specific position on line two. I tried to use this solution under the post "Awk command to replace specific position characters" But need a way to just limit to update the line 2 and not every line on the file. awk 'function repl(s,f,t,v) { return... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sandeep
1 Replies
UUENCODE(5)							File Formats Manual						       UUENCODE(5)

NAME
uuencode - format of an encoded uuencode file DESCRIPTION
Files output by uuencode(1C) consist of a header line, followed by a number of body lines, and a trailer line. Uudecode(1C) will ignore any lines preceding the header or following the trailer. Lines preceding a header must not, of course, look like a header. The header line is distinguished by having the first 6 characters "begin ". The word begin is followed by a mode (in octal), and a string which names the remote file. A space separates the three items in the header line. The body consists of a number of lines, each at most 62 characters long (including the trailing newline). These consist of a character count, followed by encoded characters, followed by a newline. The character count is a single printing character, and represents an inte- ger, the number of bytes the rest of the line represents. Such integers are always in the range from 0 to 63 and can be determined by sub- tracting the character space (octal 40) from the character. Groups of 3 bytes are stored in 4 characters, 6 bits per character. All are offset by a space to make the characters printing. The last line may be shorter than the normal 45 bytes. If the size is not a multiple of 3, this fact can be determined by the value of the count on the last line. Extra garbage will be included to make the character count a multiple of 4. The body is terminated by a line with a count of zero. This line consists of one ASCII space. The trailer line consists of "end" on a line by itself. SEE ALSO
uuencode(1C), uudecode(1C), uusend(1C), uucp(1C), mail(1) 7th Edition May 15, 1985 UUENCODE(5)