Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove first portion of string Post 302546143 by panyam on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 12:37:30 PM
Old 08-10-2011
Code:

echo "/usr/local/logs/serverlogdir" | sed 's!.*\/local!!'
echo "/usr/local/logs/serverlogdir" | awk -F"/" '{ $1=$2=$3=""; }1' OFS="/"

Althoguh awk produces excess "/" infront of the output , it should not cause any issue to functionality.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract a portion of a string from the whole string

How to extract a portion of a string from a full string using unix. For example: Say source string is = "req92374923.log" I want only the numeric portion of the string say "92374923" how to do that in Unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ds_sastry
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove portion of file

Can anyone tell me how to remove a portion of a large file to smaller ones? What I have is a large file that was created becasue several similar files were joined together. Each individual file starts with MSG_HEAD. I want to take everything from MSG_HEAD up to were it says MSG_HEAD again and... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: methos
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping a portion of string from behind!!!

Hi, How to strip a portion of a file name from behind...Say for Eg..i have a file name like aaaaa.bbbbb.Mar-17-2007 i want to remove .Mar-17-2007...is there a one line command which can give this output... Thanks Kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string portion using sed

Hi All I have 3 files as listed below and highlighted in bold the portions of the filenames I need to extract: TOS_TABIN218_20090323.200903231830 TOS_TABIN219_1_20090323.200903231830 TOS_TABIN219_2_20090323.200903231830 I tried source_tabin_name=`echo $fname | sed 's/_.*//'` but I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: santam
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on extracting portion of string

Hi Gurus, I've some sample of my log information as shown below. -> Processing ABCD123456 This is tp version 372.04.57 (release 700, unicode enabled) This is R3trans version 6.14 (release 700 - 05.03.09 - 08:28:00). unicode enabled version R3trans finished (0000). Warning: Parameter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a portion of the string and comparing

I have 2 text files say file1.txt and file2.txt . Some of the sample records for file1.txt were shown below: XXXXX12345XXXXXXX12 3456789YYYYY XXXXXXXXXX12345XX123457485YYYYY XX12345XXXXXXXXXX123454658YYYYY for file2.txt, some of the sample records were shown below: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove the date portion from file name

hi, I am trying to remove the last field before the period (.) from a list of file names in a directory in a shell script. Below is the list of file names. ENVID_archival_20120214092258.log ENVID_Get_Source_Files_20120214091828.log ENVID_Get_Source_Files_20120214092523.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijay81
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract portion of a string?

Hi Gurus, Would like to seek some help on how to extract a portion of string from log's output as shown below. Sample of raw data: piece handle=/test123/disk_dump/test123/df0_cntrl_PCPFCI20120404_68498 tag=TAG20120404T180035 comment=NONE piece... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove large portion of web page code between two tags

Hi everybody, I am trying to remove bunch of lines from web pages between two tags: one is <h1> and the other is <table it looks like <h1>Anniversary cards roses</h1> many lines here <table summary="Free anniversary greeting cards." cellspacing="8" cellpadding="8" width="70%">my goal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get portion of string from the end

Hi all, Can anyone suggest a way to get a portion of string from the end? So: $ORACLE_SID=blt10cr1 We can drop the final '1' and end up with: $ORACLE_SID=blt10cr So far I have the following: echo $ORACLE_SID | cut -c1-5 and echo $ORACLE_SID | cut -c1-6 | rev any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
4 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)