Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting string manipulation in arguments Post 302545963 by birei on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 05:20:32 AM
Old 08-10-2011
Hi,

Try:
Code:
set arg = ${1#-}

Regards,
Birei

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation

Hello, I have a korn shell string variable str1 = "A,B,Z" I would like to create another korn shell string variable str2 = "letter = 'A' or letter = 'B' or letter = 'Z' " Please help! Thanks in advance an UNIX newbie! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hai1973
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation

Hi There! I have the following block of text in my input file and in order to parse it correctly, i need to have i.e. If a line starts with a number, ignore it else replace it with the number from the previous line until the first ',' So, for example, 15,9:5/12345 ,10:1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: orno
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String manipulation

I am doing some training for a job I have just got and there is an exercise I am stuck with. I am not posting to ask a question about logic, just a trivial help with string manipulation. I would appreciate if somebody could at least give me a hint on how to do it. Basically, the intelligent part... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dantastik
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help with string manipulation

First of all I am VERY new to this so bare with me and try and explain everything even if it seems simple. Basically I want to read a line of text from a html file. See if the line of text has a certain string in it. copy an unknown number of characters (the last 4 characters wiil be ".jpg" the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c3lica
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation

Hi, I have the string like this ". Start : 06:53:11 - MON JUL 05, 2010" I need to print the part "06:53:11 - MON JUL 05, 2010" How i can do this? Thanks, Lenova (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lenova2010
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation

if I have two string variable, how do I add one to anther. like a= "a" b="b" c=$a+$b but that doesn't work. Is there anyway to solve it.http://www.qtl.co.il/img/copy.pnghttp://www.google.com/favicon.icohttp://www.babylon.com/favicon.icohttp://www.morfix.com/favicon.ico (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with String manipulation

Dear All, I have a question. I have files with the following pattern.>S8_SK1.chr01 NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNCAGCATGCAATAAGGTGACATAGATATACCCACACACCACACCCTAACACTAACCCTAATCTAACCCTGGCCAACCTGTTT... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation

Hi All, Pls help me out on the below, 05 LAMSZ201-ZM-MEMO2-DATE02-5 PIC X(10). 05 LAMSZ201-ZM-MEMO2-AMT02-5 PIC S9(13)V99. 05 LAMSZ201-ZM-MEMO2-TYPE02-6 PIC XXX. 05 LAMSZ201-ZM-MEMO2-DATE02-6 PIC X(10). 05 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskivs
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation

hi all, i am new to shell scripting and need help. i have a string that stores the month in Jan/Feb/Mar format. i need to convert it to number like 01 for jan, 12 for dec etc. i am using the following sed command, echo "Enter a Month eg. Jan/Feb : " read MONTHEND ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupom2000
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting part of a string : string manipulation

i have something like this... echo "teCertificateId" | awk -F'Id' '{ print $1 }' | awk -F'te' '{ print $2 }' Certifica the awk should remove 'te' only if it is present at the start of the string.. anywhere else it should ignore it. expected output is Certificate (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies
trap(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)