Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Not able to understand the output of w command Post 302545879 by pinga123 on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 01:16:23 AM
Old 08-10-2011
Not able to understand the output of w command

I have taken putty session of a server from two separate machines namely HOST1(3 sessions) and HOST2(1 Session) .
However w command says there are 5 users

Confused over the output any clue will be appreciated.

Code:
# w
 09:29:36 up 34 days, 15:48,  5 users,  load average: 0.62, 4.33, 8.16
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
root     pts/17   HOST1    09:18    4:26   0.01s  0.01s -bash
root     pts/18   HOST1    09:27    1:21   0.00s  0.00s -bash
root     pts/21   HOST2    09:29    0.00s  0.00s  0.00s w
root     pts/20   HOST1    09:29    1:39   0.00s  0.00s -bash

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Understand output of "free" command

Hi Friends, I am really confused with the output of "free" command on redhat linux. I can see caching and buffer output on two different areas on the output. Please let me know whats the difference of these two different outputs. Here I am pasting the command output of my server. # free... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to understand the output of last command

root@desktop:~# last reboot | head -1 reboot system boot 2.6.31-17-generi Tue Jan 26 12:05 - 13:52 (01:46) What does the last two fields(12:05 - 13:52 (01:46)) of the output mean? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't understand sed error output.

Hey forum, I have a problem with a script what used to work, but suddenly is not working anymore. I have been trying different things for an hour now and I give up :D . #!/bin/sh asukoht=`pwd` template=$1 for values in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mario8eren
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to understand ps output.

I m executing ps command and sorting it according to memory usage. Please find the output of the command. # ps aux --sort pmem USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND root 1 0.0 0.0 2060 624 ? Ss 01:54 0:00 init root 2 0.0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to understand this output

I am hitting this command: dvlna021-(/cm/ims/dev/gds-scheduler/10/app/Software/active/Soft/conf)->ls -lrt gds_userenv_* This is the output lrwxrwxrwx 1 aimse was 65 Jul 31 12:56 gds_userenv_scheduler_2.ksh -> /cm/ims/dev/gds-scheduler/10/app/conf/gds_userenv_scheduler_2.ksh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do not understand grep output

In my directory I have two files and one subdirectory. When I run ls -l |grep -v ^d I get the following output: total 8 -rwxrwxrwx 1 qms qms 254 Oct 3 16:00 file1.txt -rwxrwxrwx 1 qms qms 7167 Oct 11 15:46 file2.txt Can you explain what is total 8 if the number of files is 2 and is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdogadin
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to understand the output of TRUSS command

Hi, I am trying to set ulimit for soft stack unlimited, but this is not taking effect, after tracing the ulimit -a unlimited command, the below output was generated, which i am unable to comprehend. Could any one help me with this? prcbap1-r10prod: truss -d ulimit -s unlimited Tue Dec 30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NasirAbbasi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't understand script output

New to korn shel1 and having an issue. The following is suppose to read the parameter values from files in a source directory and then pass them on to a log file in a different directory, The ArchiveTracker scripts is suppose to call the parameterreader script to exact the parameter values and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bayouprophet
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to understand the command

Hi Gurus, I am new for Unix scripting. below command in one existing script. I am not able to fully understand. please help in below command, I am not able to understand what's {P=1} do thanks in advance awk 'NF==1{$3=$1;$1=L}P&&NF>=3{print $1,$3;L=$1}/^___/{P=1}' FILE (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help understand awk command

Help understand awk command This command converts the column values to rows. Command: awk -s1=" " '{S=S?S OFS s1 $0 s1:s1 $0 s1} END{print S}' OFS=, Input_file Example: 1 2 3 is converted to: 1, 2, 3 Can anyone please help me understand this command? Please use code tags when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan44
1 Replies
PTS_QUIT(1)						       AFS Command Reference						       PTS_QUIT(1)

NAME
pts_quit - Exit from pts interactive mode SYNOPSIS
pts quit [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts q [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts quit command exits from pts interactive mode. The command can be run from the command line or interactively, but on the command line it does nothing and is therefore of questionable utility. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts quit command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
Although they have no effect, pts quit takes the following standard pts options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command produces no output. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of a pts interactive session: % pts interactive pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_QUIT(1)