Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem on rsh to run script
Operating Systems Solaris Problem on rsh to run script Post 302545862 by beginningDBA on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 08:37:24 PM
Old 08-09-2011
Hi, is there any hints or solutions? I would be grateful for any answer. Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with rsh

Hi all I have checked the archives and cannot find a solution. I get a permission denied error, however all the suggestions donot help. here is the scenario root@OPSBOX#/>rsh OPSBOX ls -l rshd: 0826-813 Permission is denied. root@OPSBOX#/>pg .rhosts OPSBOX root OPSBOX ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh problem

Hi, I am using rsh command in scripting. But I wan to run the script as a bg process. When I run the script, it says stopped. My doubt is ....if I use the rsh in scripting ......bg is possible or not ??? EX: test-rsh rsh 172.16.73.38 df -k >DF.log Result when I run this script ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vastare
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh problem

hey, I'v a problem when I use rsh. When it logs in, it goes my home directory. I want it to go directly to my working directory. An idea I had was to redirect pwd to a file (pwd > somefile) and then once I'v rsh'd, cd to that path. I don't know how to read from the file to use as a parameter for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bacchus
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem when the script is scheduled to run as cron job

Hello, I have problem in executing a shell script. When the shell script is executed at the shell prompt the script works successfully but when the same script is run as a cron job it fails to execute the files called within the shell script. I have scheduled the job in my crontab file as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumthreads
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem to run sql startment in script

Hello, I have a script to run a list of customer information, but it not work. can anyone help below: echo "Please input list to check customer detail:" read list for file in 'cat $list.txt' do echo "select cuname as "FROM CUNAME", invo_num as "RECS", total_amount as "AMOUNT", tax_amount as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh problem

Dear, I am trying to execute a script in the X machine by remote logging from machine Y. Note that in the X machine in host file the ip and the hostname of the Y is defined and in the .rhosts the hostname and the username of the Y is defined. By using the following: rsh X -l username -n "sh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tontal
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem using RSH

Hi, I have an old solaris 2.6 box and I need to copy all the data from the hard drive onto another machine. It does not have ssh installed so I am forced to use rsh. My plan was to execute the rcp command from the solaris box to a Centos 5 machine. I have installed rsh client and server on my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run the script in background, but having a problem

hi, we have a script which runs for the whole day and whenever the job fails, will send an alert to the mailbox. My problem here is that i need to give the jobname dynamically which is not possible if we run the script in background. Pls help me with this. Thanks Ajay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies

9. Solaris

su and run script problem

Hi, it's there a way to for me to su to run script? It seems like if i put su - <user1> cd <path> touch <file1> It will stop at su without running the cd & touch command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem run script inside a gnome-terminal

hi, I would like to ask about using gnome-terminal command, I had a script that will run my VBOX VM in headless and i want to display the output(STDOUT) on the gnome-terminal window. The purpose that i want to display the STDOUT of the script cause i will used it or create a desktop shortcut for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
11 Replies
rsh(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   rsh(1M)

NAME
rsh, restricted_shell - restricted shell command interpreter SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/rsh [-acefhiknprstuvx] [argument]... DESCRIPTION
rsh is a limiting version of the standard command interpreter sh, used to restrict logins to execution environments whose capabilities are more controlled than those of sh (see sh(1) for complete description and usage). When the shell is invoked, it scans the environment for the value of the environmental variable, SHELL. If it is found and rsh is the file name part of its value, the shell becomes a restricted shell. The actions of rsh are identical to those of sh, except that the following are disallowed: o changing directory (see cd(1)), o setting the value of $PATH, o pecifying path or command names containing /, o redirecting output (> and >>). The restrictions above are enforced after .profile is interpreted. A restricted shell can be invoked in one of the following ways: 1. rsh is the file name part of the last entry in the /etc/passwd file (see passwd(4)); 2. the environment variable SHELL exists and rsh is the file name part of its value; the environment variable SHELL needs to be set in the .login file; 3. the shell is invoked and rsh is the file name part of argument 0; 4. the shell is invoke with the -r option. When a command to be executed is found to be a shell procedure, rsh invokes sh to execute it. Thus, it is possible to provide to the end- user shell procedures that have access to the full power of the standard shell, while imposing a limited menu of commands; this scheme assumes that the end-user does not have write and execute permissions in the same directory. The net effect of these rules is that the writer of the .profile (see profile(4)) has complete control over user actions by performing guaranteed setup actions and leaving the user in an appropriate directory (probably not the login directory). The system administrator often sets up a directory of commands (that is, /usr/rbin) that can be safely invoked by a restricted shell. Some systems also provide a restricted editor, red. EXIT STATUS
Errors detected by the shell, such as syntax errors, cause the shell to return a non-zero exit status. If the shell is being used non- interactively execution of the shell file is abandoned. Otherwise, the shell returns the exit status of the last command executed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(1), cd(1), login(1), rsh(1), sh(1), exec(2), passwd(4), profile(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The restricted shell, /usr/lib/rsh, should not be confused with the remote shell, /usr/bin/rsh, which is documented in rsh(1). SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 1993 rsh(1M)