Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copy huge data into vi editor Post 302545799 by alok.behria on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 02:07:12 PM
Old 08-09-2011
Copy huge data into vi editor

Hi All,

HP-UX dev4 B.11.11 U 9000/800 3251073457

I need to copy huge data from windows text file to vi editor. when I tried copy huge data, the format of data is not preserverd and appered to scatterd through the vi, something like give below. Please let me know, how can I correct this?

Code:
smrtprod=
  (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oraprod2.am.elcompanies.net)(PORT = 1521))
              )
                  (CONNECT_DATA =
                        (SID = smrtprod)
                            )
                              )

TWSPROD =
                                (DESCRIPTION =
                                    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oraprod4.am.elcompanies.net)(PORT = 1534))
                                        (CONNECT_DATA =
                                              (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                                                    (SERVICE_NAME = twsprod.am.elcompanies.net)
                                                        )
                                                          )

rds01 =
                                                            (DESCRIPTION =
                                                                (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = rnd1.us.estee.com)(PORT = 1521))
                                                                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                                                                          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                                                                                (SERVICE_NAME = rds01.us.estee.com)
                                                                                    )
                                                                                      )

rdsqa =
                                                                                        (DESCRIPTION =
                                                                                            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dev4.us.estee.com)(PORT = 1533

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract data from a huge file?

Hi, I have a huge file of bibliographic records in some standard format.I need a script to do some repeatable task as follows: 1. Needs to create folders as the strings starts with "item_*" from the input file 2. Create a file "contents" in each folders having "license.txt(tab... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srsahu75
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy and paste certain many lines of huge file in linux

Dear All, I am working with windoes OS but remote a linux machine. I wonder the way to copy an paste some part of a huge file in linux machine. the contain of file like as follow: ... dump annealling all custom 10 anneal_*.dat id type x y z q timestep 0.02 run 200000 Memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariesto
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a huge data into few different files?!

Input file data contents: >seq_1 MSNQSPPQSQRPGHSHSHSHSHAGLASSTSSHSNPSANASYNLNGPRTGGDQRYRASVDA >seq_2 AGAAGRGWGRDVTAAASPNPRNGGGRPASDLLSVGNAGGQASFASPETIDRWFEDLQHYE >seq_3 ATLEEMAAASLDANFKEELSAIEQWFRVLSEAERTAALYSLLQSSTQVQMRFFVTVLQQM ARADPITALLSPANPGQASMEAQMDAKLAAMGLKSPASPAVRQYARQSLSGDTYLSPHSA... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi editor, copy one column?

This is an vi editor question. I do not know is this a right place to ask this question or not? I have a file with the following contents, 10 11 20 21 30 31 I want to copy first column that is 10,20,30 after second column, so that output will look like the following, 10 11 10 20 21 20... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MeetP
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy/Paste in Vi editor

Dear All, I have a file containing 12 lines. First 3 lines have 9 values and the remaining 9 lines with no values. I was trying to copy and paste these 9 values of the first 3 lines into last 9 lines simultaneously as A=1.491331, B=1.539000 ..... but I don't know how to cope with this... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sullah
9 Replies

6. AIX

Copy huge files system

Dear Guy’s By using dd command or any strong command, I’d like to copy huge data from file system to another file system Sours File system: /sfsapp File system has 250 GB of data Target File system: /tgtapp I’d like to copy all these files and directories from /sfsapp to /tgtapp as... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
28 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy from vi Editor ( unix ) to windows

How to copy the complete content from a file in vi Editor to windows ( notepad ). I can use " select " and paste it to windows but this is restricted to current page. Not allowing me to scroll down or up when selecting the content.:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frintocf
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aggregation of huge data

Hi Friends, I have a file with sample amount data as follows: -89990.3456 8788798.990000128 55109787.20 -12455558989.90876 I need to exclude the '-' symbol in order to treat all values as an absolute one and then I need to sum up.The record count is around 1 million. How... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravichander
8 Replies

9. Solaris

The Fastest for copy huge data

Dear Experts, I would like to know what's the best method for copy data around 3 mio (spread in a hundred folders, size each file around 1kb) between 2 servers? I already tried using Rsync and tar command. But using these command is too long. Please advice. Thanks Edy (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy/paste in vi editor

Hello guys, I am trying to copy a line in vi editor and paste it with below commands but paste command is not working and instead of paste action prints the p character!! I should also mention that the server is Solaris... 1) crontab -e 2) j to move down 3) yy to copy the line 4) o to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newman
4 Replies
ALLOC_HUGEPAGES(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						ALLOC_HUGEPAGES(2)

NAME
alloc_hugepages, free_hugepages - allocate or free huge pages SYNOPSIS
void *alloc_hugepages(int key, void *addr, size_t len, int prot, int flag); int free_hugepages(void *addr); DESCRIPTION
The system calls alloc_hugepages() and free_hugepages() were introduced in Linux 2.5.36 and removed again in 2.5.54. They existed only on i386 and ia64 (when built with CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE). In Linux 2.4.20 the syscall numbers exist, but the calls fail with the error ENOSYS. On i386 the memory management hardware knows about ordinary pages (4 KiB) and huge pages (2 or 4 MiB). Similarly ia64 knows about huge pages of several sizes. These system calls serve to map huge pages into the process's memory or to free them again. Huge pages are locked into memory, and are not swapped. The key argument is an identifier. When zero the pages are private, and not inherited by children. When positive the pages are shared with other applications using the same key, and inherited by child processes. The addr argument of free_hugepages() tells which page is being freed: it was the return value of a call to alloc_hugepages(). (The memory is first actually freed when all users have released it.) The addr argument of alloc_hugepages() is a hint, that the kernel may or may not follow. Addresses must be properly aligned. The len argument is the length of the required segment. It must be a multiple of the huge page size. The prot argument specifies the memory protection of the segment. It is one of PROT_READ, PROT_WRITE, PROT_EXEC. The flag argument is ignored, unless key is positive. In that case, if flag is IPC_CREAT, then a new huge page segment is created when none with the given key existed. If this flag is not set, then ENOENT is returned when no segment with the given key exists. RETURN VALUE
On success, alloc_hugepages() returns the allocated virtual address, and free_hugepages() returns zero. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
ENOSYS The system call is not supported on this kernel. FILES
/proc/sys/vm/nr_hugepages Number of configured hugetlb pages. This can be read and written. /proc/meminfo Gives info on the number of configured hugetlb pages and on their size in the three variables HugePages_Total, HugePages_Free, Hugepagesize. CONFORMING TO
These calls are specific to Linux on Intel processors, and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
These system calls are gone; they existed only in Linux 2.5.36 through to 2.5.54. Now the hugetlbfs file system can be used instead. Mem- ory backed by huge pages (if the CPU supports them) is obtained by using mmap(2) to map files in this virtual file system. The maximal number of huge pages can be specified using the hugepages= boot parameter. COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2007-05-31 ALLOC_HUGEPAGES(2)