Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with KSH Shell Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with KSH Shell Script Post 302545797 by Scott on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 01:58:37 PM
Old 08-09-2011
Do you need to use the l (ell) option of ls? That would leave xargs trying to remove (i.e.) -rw-r--r--, which most likely doesn't exist!

Code:
$ ls -l hello.txt | xargs echo rm    
rm -rw-r--r-- 1 scott staff 0 16 Sep 2010 hello.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx in shell script (KSH)

Greetings all, I'm pretty new to the use of mailx, having been using mutt most of the time. I'm interested to know how I can use mailx within a shell script to send out a formatted email with the following criterion: 1. My recipient's address is abcdef1000@gmail.com 2. The message body is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh into a shell script (KSH)

Hi all, Just like to ask if it is possible to do the following: 1. Have a shell script that calls ssh username@destinationhost 2. Upon successful verification, we ssh into the destination host and automatically use ksh to run a shell script that resides in the destination host. (Hopefully no... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk in ksh shell script - help

Hello, Im a beginner. Im writing a ksh script with awk. Is it possible to assign the output of the awk to a shell variable? Like, shell_variable= awk '$1 == "shell" {abc= $2 }' /tmp/cust_det echo $shell_variable Please excuse my ignorance. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nic_writes
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh shell script

I am using /usr/bin/ksh in AIX I am reading the values of $dbname, $dbatmpdir/dbdir.$$, and $scope from a different file All I have to do is check if $dbname exists in file $dbatmpdir/dbdir.$$ and $scope should have a value either 'TABLE' or 'SCHEMA'. When I execute the following code. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

what does this ksh shell script do?

Can someone tell me when the script is called, what does it do? I can't see it is going to run anything. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dp100022
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I execute another shell from my ksh script?

I am newbie in UNIX, so please excuse me for the stupid question.:) Here is a problem: I created ksh script where the part of the functionality include an opening of a second session with another shell process "runrep"(runrep is a custom reporting shell designed by Advent Geneva). When I run my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexstar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array in Ksh Shell script

hi team, i have a file, which contains only variable and its value param.ksh --------- export A=123 export B=345 export C=567 export D=OPLI export E=OL89PO From shell script, i am invoking this file and use the value of this variable. Now there are 5 variable in above file. Before i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ace_friends22
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh shell script

Anyone know how to check a filename that contains a date and compare whiich file is older using a ksh shell script? The filename looks like aaaaa_20110615 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bperl1967
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i lock a ksh shell script?

Hi, I have a ksh shell script that accesses databases to drop and create tables and the script also creates text files. This shell script is accessed thru a java application that i would like to turn multi-user, but the only way that i can do that is if I can figure out a way to lock the shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndedhia1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh Shell Script

My goal is to create a script that will check if in a test or production environment. I wrote this script to check $host variable to check which server I'm on but this script does not work. if then BASE=/home/fmtest; export BASE else BASE=/home/fmprod; export BASE fi ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bperl1967
5 Replies
XARGS(1L)																 XARGS(1L)

NAME
xargs - build and execute command lines from standard input SYNOPSIS
xargs [-0prtx] [-e[eof-str]] [-i[replace-str]] [-l[max-lines]] [-n max-args] [-s max-chars] [-P max-procs] [--null] [--eof[=eof-str]] [--replace[=replace-str]] [--max-lines[=max-lines]] [--interactive] [--max-chars=max-chars] [--verbose] [--exit] [--max-procs=max-procs] [--max-args=max-args] [--no-run-if-empty] [--version] [--help] [command [initial-arguments]] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of xargs. xargs reads arguments from the standard input, delimited by blanks (which can be pro- tected with double or single quotes or a backslash) or newlines, and executes the command (default is /bin/echo) one or more times with any initial-arguments followed by arguments read from standard input. Blank lines on the standard input are ignored. xargs exits with the following status: 0 if it succeeds 123 if any invocation of the command exited with status 1-125 124 if the command exited with status 255 125 if the command is killed by a signal 126 if the command cannot be run 127 if the command is not found 1 if some other error occurred. OPTIONS --null, -0 Input filenames are terminated by a null character instead of by whitespace, and the quotes and backslash are not special (every character is taken literally). Disables the end of file string, which is treated like any other argument. Useful when arguments might contain white space, quote marks, or backslashes. The GNU find -print0 option produces input suitable for this mode. --eof[=eof-str], -e[eof-str] Set the end of file string to eof-str. If the end of file string occurs as a line of input, the rest of the input is ignored. If eof-str is omitted, there is no end of file string. If this option is not given, the end of file string defaults to "_". --help Print a summary of the options to xargs and exit. --replace[=replace-str], -i[replace-str] Replace occurences of replace-str in the initial arguments with names read from standard input. Also, unquoted blanks do not termi- nate arguments. If replace-str is omitted, it defaults to "{}" (like for `find -exec'). Implies -x and -l 1. --max-lines[=max-lines], -l[max-lines] Use at most max-lines nonblank input lines per command line; max-lines defaults to 1 if omitted. Trailing blanks cause an input line to be logically continued on the next input line. Implies -x. --max-args=max-args, -n max-args Use at most max-args arguments per command line. Fewer than max-args arguments will be used if the size (see the -s option) is exceeded, unless the -x option is given, in which case xargs will exit. --interactive, -p Prompt the user about whether to run each command line and read a line from the terminal. Only run the command line if the response starts with `y' or `Y'. Implies -t. --no-run-if-empty, -r If the standard input does not contain any nonblanks, do not run the command. Normally, the command is run once even if there is no input. --max-chars=max-chars, -s max-chars Use at most max-chars characters per command line, including the command and initial arguments and the terminating nulls at the ends of the argument strings. The default is as large as possible, up to 20k characters. --verbose, -t Print the command line on the standard error output before executing it. --version Print the version number of xargs and exit. --exit, -x Exit if the size (see the -s option) is exceeded. --max-procs=max-procs, -P max-procs Run up to max-procs processes at a time; the default is 1. If max-procs is 0, xargs will run as many processes as possible at a time. Use the -n option with -P; otherwise chances are that only one exec will be done. SEE ALSO
find(1L), locate(1L), locatedb(5L), updatedb(1) Finding Files (on-line in Info, or printed) XARGS(1L)