Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep with history command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep with history command Post 302545631 by yazu on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 03:10:27 AM
Old 08-09-2011
You don't need "-e" option for grep. And I think '# and clear the buffer before exiting" it's about clearing of the buffer of an editor. But you can do
Code:
history 391 391

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with history and grep

okay, i did the command: echo `history` >> /new.txt i got a long line, which due to the size of my screen, it made 3 lines. i then tried the command: grep emacs new.txt while in root and i got a full the same long line any help appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in history Command

in my system history command is set to 60 how to remove all the command status even if i give history command. i mean: if i give history command in unix it should not show anything.........how to achieve this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

History Command

Hi all experts, I want to see all the command that is typed in the server 3 days ago. I typed HISTORY command but it does not show all the things. The reason is my senior DBA could see all the commands ran in the server 3 days ago but i cannot see. Please let me know is there anyway i can view... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ma466
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

history awk grep sort

can someone help me in the awk part...little confuse on that part. The problem is this: what input each utility gets and what it does with data and what output is provides to the next utility) history | awk '{a++}END{for(i in a){print a " " i}}' | sort -rn | grep '^' Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi command history

How do you look at the whole list of previous commands you have used in VI? I know you can use the up and down arrows, but I know there's a way to see the full list. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using command history

Hi All. Suppose I am in a "verylongpath" directory and I type "gedit thisfile". At a later stage, the command is accessible from the hystory, but it is useless if I have moved to another directory. The same applies to "cd myfolder", etc. Is there a way to instruct shell history to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bruno69
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command history

Hi all, How can i view command history of a day. when i used history command in my AIX server, it shows only last 16 commands. Is there a location where all the history is stored ? Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The history command: See other users command history

Can anyone tell this: If two users are logged into the same server from different locations. Is there a way to see the history command of the other user? I tried the history command, but it is showing me only the commands I used. Thanks in advance for your help. Iamnew2solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing dot history file

Hi, I tried to grep ".sh_history" (DOTsh_history) file and did not return anything though I found the word in .sh _history file through vi editor in Linux. Then I tried to grep ".profile" to check if it is the prob with hidden files and I got results. Then I verified the same with my friend... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

History command

Hi, I would like to know commands which i have executed on terminal should not be present in the history.How can i approch please help me. Regards, Mastan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)