Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sort by keeping the headings intact? Post 302545618 by royalibrahim on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 02:42:35 AM
Old 08-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartus11
Code:
sort -nk2 file

Thanks bartus!! What is the difference between sort -nk2,2 and your code?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls -l column headings

I'm trying to see if there's a way to see column headings when I type the ls -l command. I know what some of the fields mean for example in the following listing: total 136 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 5 15:16 bin drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jul 9 15:25 boot drwxr-xr-x 9... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoughts
6 Replies

2. AIX

split a filename and print to 2 different headings

I need help to split a filename 'a0crk_user:A0-B0123$#%test' into a0crk_user and A0-B0123 and print the output under 2 different columns namely User and Status. for eg. the output should like below: User Status ---- ------ a0crk_user A0-B0123 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort and uniq lines of a file while keeping a header line

So, I have a file that has some duplicate lines. The file has a header line that I would like to keep at the top. I could do this by extracting the header from the file, 'sort -u' the remaining lines, and recombine them. But they are quite big, so if there is a way to do it with a single... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Digby
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file editing while keeping file format intact

Hi, I am having a file which is fix length and comma seperated. And I want to replace values for one column. I am reading file line by line in variable $LINE and then replacing the string. Problem is after changing value and writing new file temp5.txt, formating of original file is getting... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mruda
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keeping the number intact

Currently I have the following to separate the numeric values. However the decimal point get separated. ls -lrt *smp*.cmd | awk '{print $NF}' | sed 's/^.*\///' | sed 's/\(*\)/ & /g' As an example on the files n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.05-4x3smp.cmd... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last few characters in a file but keeping Header and trailer intact

Hi All, I am trying write a simple command using AWK and SED to this but without any success. Here is what I am using: head -1 test1.txt>test2.txt|sed '1d;$d' test1.txt|awk '{print substr($0,0,(length($0)-2))}' >>test2.txt|tail -1 test1.txt>>test2.txt Input: Header 1234567 abcdefgh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the headings

HI I am executing faloowing commands. mr batch_1 > my_temp.txt ; mr batch_2 >>my_temp.txt; mr batch_3 >> my_temp.txt; mr batch_4 >> my_temp.txt; and the out put file is as this cat my_temp.txt Machine Name Max Load Current Load Factor O/S Status... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicates by keeping the order intact

Hello friends, I have a file with duplicate lines. I could eliminate duplicate lines by running sort <file> |uniq >uniq_file and it works fine BUT it changes the order of the entries as it we did "sort". I need to remove duplicates and also need to keep the order/sequence of entries. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magnus29
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to sort text keeping first line always first

I have a file is created from standard output. I have put a leading space to force the first line to collate low vis a vis the rest of the lines. If I pass the entire file to the Linux sort, it ignores the leading space and the first line appears in somewhere in the list. If I add lots of... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsatenstein
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk command on report with headings

Hi all, I have a report that looks like this: ------------------------------------------------- -- AOC - XXXXXXX -- ------------------------------------------------- Thread Last Sequence Received Last Sequence Applied Difference ----------... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cougartrace
12 Replies
GAPPLETVIEWER(1)                                                        GNU                                                       GAPPLETVIEWER(1)

NAME
gappletviewer - Load and runs an applet SYNOPSIS
appletviewer [OPTION]... URL... appletviewer [OPTION]... -code CODE appletviewer [OPTION]... -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT DESCRIPTION
The appletviewer tool loads and runs an applet. Use the first form to test applets specified by tag. The URL should resolve to an HTML document from which the appletviewer will extract applet tags. The APPLET, EMBED and OBJECT tags are supported. If a given document contains multiple applet tags, all the applets will be loaded, with each applet appearing in its own window. Likewise, when multiple URLs are specified, each applet tag instance is given its own window. If a given document contains no recognized tags the appletviewer does nothing. appletviewer http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/ Use the second form to test an applet in development. This form allows applet tag attributes to be supplied on the command line. Only one applet may be specified using the -code option. The -code option overrides the URL form -- any URLs specified will be ignored. appletviewer -code Test.class -param datafile,data.txt gcjwebplugin uses the third form to communicate with the appletviewer through named pipes. OPTIONS
URL OPTIONS -debug This option is not yet implemented but is provided for compatibility. -encoding CHARSET Use this option to specify an alternate character encoding for the specified HTML page. APPLET TAG OPTIONS -code CODE Use the -code option to specify the value of the applet tag CODE attribute. -codebase CODEBASE Use the -codebase option to specify the value of the applet tag CODEBASE attribute. -archive ARCHIVE Use the -archive option to specify the value of the applet tag ARCHIVE attribute. -width WIDTH Use the -width option to specify the value of the applet tag WIDTH attribute. -height HEIGHT Use the -height option to specify the value of the applet tag HEIGHT attribute. -param NAME,VALUE Use the -param option to specify values for the NAME and VALUE attributes of an applet PARAM tag. PLUGIN OPTION -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT gcjwebplugin uses the -plugin option to specify the named pipe the appletviewer should use for receiving commands (INPUT) and the one it should use for sending commands to gcjwebplugin (OUTPUT). DEBUGGING OPTION -verbose Use the -verbose option to have the appletviewer print debugging messages. STANDARD OPTIONS -help Use the -help option to have the appletviewer print a usage message, then exit. -version Use the -version option to have the appletviewer print its version, then exit. -JOPTION Use the -J option to pass OPTION to the virtual machine that will run the appletviewer. Unlike other options, there must not be a space between the -J and OPTION. BUGS
SEE ALSO
AUTHOR
0.98 2010-07-05 GAPPLETVIEWER(1)