Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need to enclose a string in quotes Post 302545612 by iskatel on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 02:21:25 AM
Old 08-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
Those aren't extra single quotes. That's just the shell tracing making explicit what's going on.

If you want to pass the value of $var1 with literal quotes to the second script, you need to do the following:
Code:
./script2.sh \""$var1"\"

Aside from the backslash-escaped set of quotes that you intend to pass literally, you must use an unescaped pair to protect $var1 from subsequent field splitting and file globbing.

Regards,
Alister
Thanks, this combination of quotes/escapes worked!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add single quotes in string

Hi All, I love this site, it helps newbie people like me and I appreciate everyone's help! Here is my questions. I am trying to concatenate a single quote into a character/string from a text file for each line (lets say ABC should look like 'ABC'). I tried to use awk print command to do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrjunsy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String concat that keeps quotes

Hi All, I hope you can help. i am concatenating String variables using the following method. command="$command$x" i have created a script which takes a set of args passed to the script using the $* #example script args=$* count=0 for x in $args do count=`expr $count + 1` ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add double quotes around the string

I have a line in multiple scripts:select into table /dir1/dir2/file.dat dir1 and dir2 are the same but file.dat is different from script to script. I need to include /dir1/dir2/file.dat into double quotes in each file of my directory:select into table "/dir1/dir2/file.dat" (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfer515
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enclose words between double quotes

My input is like this: this is a test line. I want my output to be like this: "this", "is", "a", "test", "line" Any idea how this can be done in Linux? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get string between quotes separate by commas

I'm a beginner with shell and tried to do this per hours and everytinhg gives different want i do. So I have a lot of file in *.csv ( a.csv, b.csv ...) in each file csv , it has some fields separeted by commas. ----- "joseph";"21","m";"groups";"j.j@gmail.com,j.j2@hotmail.com"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: flaviof
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String between quotes

Hi, Need to capture a string between 1st & last quote. String can be anything like a b "c" d e Output: c a "b c" d e Output: b c a "b c" d "e" f Output: b c d e sed 's/.*"\(.*\)".*/\1/g' Above helps me to find the string between last quote. Need to find the string between 1st &... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a string with double quotes?

I have thousands of files in a directory. I need to find/list all files that have the below matching string - RETURNCODE: "1017" Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: esmgr
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : match the string and string with the quotes :

Hi all, Here is the data file: - want to match only lan3 in the output . - not lan3:1 file : OPERATING_SYSTEM=HP-UX LOOPBACK_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3" IP_ADDRESS="10.53.52.241" SUBNET_MASK="255.255.255.192" BROADCAST_ADDRESS="" INTERFACE_STATE=""... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture a string enclose by a pattern within a file?

Hi all, My file :test.txt just like this: ........................... From: 333:123<sip:88888888888@bbbb.com To: <sip:123456@aaaaa.com ......................... I want a script to capture the string between sip: & @ Expect output: 88888888888 123456 Please help! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alex Li
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Enclose String in single quote

I have a comma separated file which contains data like; File header: ID_WVR,SAK_WVR_SVC,DSC_WVR_WVC,SAK_PROCEDURE,CODES,CDE_PROC_MOD ,CDE_PROC_MOD_2 ,CDE_PROC_MOD_3 File Detail: AMR,5100,Total Services,305,D0120,,, AMR,5101,Periodic Services,40702,H2011,U1,, AMR,5112,Day... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
4 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInteUseraContrPerl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals - Always use single quotes for literal strings. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Don't use double-quotes or "qq//" if your string doesn't require interpolation. This saves the interpreter a bit of work and it lets the reader know that you really did intend the string to be literal. print "foobar"; #not ok print 'foobar'; #ok print qq/foobar/; #not ok print q/foobar/; #ok print "$foobar"; #ok print "foobar "; #ok print qq/$foobar/; #ok print qq/foobar /; #ok print qq{$foobar}; #preferred print qq{foobar }; #preferred Use of double-quotes might be reasonable if the string contains single quote (') characters: print "it's me"; # ok, if configuration flag set CONFIGURATION
The types of quoting styles to exempt from this policy can be configured via the "allow" option. This must be a whitespace-delimited combination of some or all of the following styles: "qq{}", "qq()", "qq[]", and "qq//". This is useful because some folks have configured their editor to apply special syntax highlighting within certain styles of quotes. For example, you can tweak "vim" to use SQL highlighting for everything that appears within "qq{}" or "qq[]" quotes. But if those strings are literal, Perl::Critic will complain. To prevent this, put the following in your .perlcriticrc file: [ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals] allow = qq{} qq[] The flag "allow_if_string_contains_single_quote" permits double-quoted strings if the string contains a single quote (') character. It defaults to off; to turn it on put the following in your .perlcriticrc file: [ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals] allow_if_string_contains_single_quote = 1 SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterpolationOfMetachars AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals(3pm)