Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need to enclose a string in quotes Post 302545601 by alister on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 01:50:55 AM
Old 08-09-2011
Those aren't extra single quotes. That's just the shell tracing making explicit what's going on.

If you want to pass the value of $var1 with literal quotes to the second script, you need to do the following:
Code:
./script2.sh \""$var1"\"

Aside from the backslash-escaped set of quotes that you intend to pass literally, you must use an unescaped pair to protect $var1 from subsequent field splitting and file globbing.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add single quotes in string

Hi All, I love this site, it helps newbie people like me and I appreciate everyone's help! Here is my questions. I am trying to concatenate a single quote into a character/string from a text file for each line (lets say ABC should look like 'ABC'). I tried to use awk print command to do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrjunsy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String concat that keeps quotes

Hi All, I hope you can help. i am concatenating String variables using the following method. command="$command$x" i have created a script which takes a set of args passed to the script using the $* #example script args=$* count=0 for x in $args do count=`expr $count + 1` ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add double quotes around the string

I have a line in multiple scripts:select into table /dir1/dir2/file.dat dir1 and dir2 are the same but file.dat is different from script to script. I need to include /dir1/dir2/file.dat into double quotes in each file of my directory:select into table "/dir1/dir2/file.dat" (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfer515
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enclose words between double quotes

My input is like this: this is a test line. I want my output to be like this: "this", "is", "a", "test", "line" Any idea how this can be done in Linux? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get string between quotes separate by commas

I'm a beginner with shell and tried to do this per hours and everytinhg gives different want i do. So I have a lot of file in *.csv ( a.csv, b.csv ...) in each file csv , it has some fields separeted by commas. ----- "joseph";"21","m";"groups";"j.j@gmail.com,j.j2@hotmail.com"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: flaviof
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String between quotes

Hi, Need to capture a string between 1st & last quote. String can be anything like a b "c" d e Output: c a "b c" d e Output: b c a "b c" d "e" f Output: b c d e sed 's/.*"\(.*\)".*/\1/g' Above helps me to find the string between last quote. Need to find the string between 1st &... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a string with double quotes?

I have thousands of files in a directory. I need to find/list all files that have the below matching string - RETURNCODE: "1017" Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: esmgr
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : match the string and string with the quotes :

Hi all, Here is the data file: - want to match only lan3 in the output . - not lan3:1 file : OPERATING_SYSTEM=HP-UX LOOPBACK_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3" IP_ADDRESS="10.53.52.241" SUBNET_MASK="255.255.255.192" BROADCAST_ADDRESS="" INTERFACE_STATE=""... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture a string enclose by a pattern within a file?

Hi all, My file :test.txt just like this: ........................... From: 333:123<sip:88888888888@bbbb.com To: <sip:123456@aaaaa.com ......................... I want a script to capture the string between sip: & @ Expect output: 88888888888 123456 Please help! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alex Li
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Enclose String in single quote

I have a comma separated file which contains data like; File header: ID_WVR,SAK_WVR_SVC,DSC_WVR_WVC,SAK_PROCEDURE,CODES,CDE_PROC_MOD ,CDE_PROC_MOD_2 ,CDE_PROC_MOD_3 File Detail: AMR,5100,Total Services,305,D0120,,, AMR,5101,Periodic Services,40702,H2011,U1,, AMR,5112,Day... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
4 Replies
GETFLAGS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       GETFLAGS(8)

NAME
getflags, usage - command-line parsing for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
getflags $* usage [ progname ] DESCRIPTION
Getflags parses the options in its command-line arguments according to the environment variable $flagfmt. This variable should be a list of comma-separated options. Each option can be a single letter, indicating that it does not take arguments, or a letter followed by the space-separated names of its arguments. Getflags prints an rc(1) script on standard output which initializes the environment variable $flagx for every option mentioned in $flagfmt. If the option is not present on the command-line, the script sets that option's flag vari- able to an empty list. Otherwise, the script sets that option's flag variable with a list containing the option's arguments or, if the option takes no arguments, with the string 1. The script also sets the variable $* to the list of arguments following the options. The final line in the script sets the $status variable, to the empty string on success and to the string usage when there is an error parsing the command line. Usage prints a usage message to standard error. It creates the message using $flagfmt, as described above, $args, which should contain the string to be printed explaining non-option arguments, and $0, the program name (see rc(1)). If run under sh(1), which does not set $0, the program name must be given explicitly on the command line. EXAMPLE
Parse the arguments for leak(1): flagfmt='b,s,f binary,r res,x width' args='name | pid list' if(! ifs=() eval `{getflags $*} || ~ $#* 0){ usage exit usage } SOURCE
/src/cmd/getflags.c /src/cmd/usage.c SEE ALSO
arg(3) GETFLAGS(8)