Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl- Finding average "frequency" of occurrence of duplicate lines Post 302545597 by acsg on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 01:31:21 AM
Old 08-09-2011
I'm sorry I think I wasn't clear enough.

I'd like the average of "every how many lines a certain line is repeated". So say that the line

Code:
a b c d e

is repeated first every 2 lines, then the next time it appears after 10 lines, then 2 again, then 4, etc etc.

Is it possible to keep a record of this and make an average? For each duplicate line, of course.

Anyway, if I'm still not being clear enough, please do ask.

Thanks!

I had proposed to use the first field in my file to keep record of time (since it's a unix timestamp). Try to find the "inter-occurrence" time instead of the "every how many lines" record, but I don't know if this would be more complicated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

3. Solaris

"Load Average" vs "virtual processor"

Hi, I have one question regarding the understanding of “load average” in a platform with virtual processors. Suppose in this situation: Total number of physical processors: 1 Number of virtual processors: 32 Total number of cores: 4 Number of cores per physical... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MDING
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cant get awk 1liner to remove duplicate lines from Delimited file, get "event not found" error..help

Hi, I am on a Solaris8 machine If someone can help me with adjusting this awk 1 liner (turning it into a real awkscript) to get by this "event not found error" ...or Present Perl solution code that works for Perl5.8 in the csh shell ...that would be great. ****************** ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy b
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
uniq(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   uniq(1)

Name
       uniq - report repeated lines in a file

Syntax
       uniq [-udc[+n][-n]] [input[output]]

Description
       The  command  reads  the  input	file comparing adjacent lines.	In the normal case, the second and succeeding copies of repeated lines are
       removed; the remainder is written on the output file.  Note that repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be found.  For further  infor-
       mation, see

Options
       The n arguments specify skipping an initial portion of each line in the comparison:

-n Skips specified number of fields.  A field is defined as a string of non-space, non-tab characters separated by tabs and spaces from its
	  neighbors.

+n Skips specified number of characters in addition to fields.  Fields are skipped before characters.

-c Displays number of repetitions, if any, for each line.

-d Displays only lines that were repeated.

-u Displays only unique (nonrepeated) lines.

If the -u flag is used, just the lines that are not repeated in the original file are output.  The -d option specifies  that  one  copy	of
       just the repeated lines is to be written.  The normal mode output is the union of the -u and -d mode outputs.

The  -c option supersedes -u and -d and generates an output report in default style but with each line preceded by a count of the number of
       times it occurred.

See Also
       comm(1), sort(1)

uniq(1)